What's new

VCI 60 - 85 Percent Off Sale Until 11/12/21 (1 Viewer)

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
My package just arrived in today's mail. Think I'll start off with the Mr Wong 6-film collection.
I love that set, VCI's prints are the best i have seen on those films I even e-mailed Boris Karloff's daughter the link to VCI's set. Sara Karloff is a great and classy lady! Did u get any other titles?

Last edited:

John_Simpson

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
John C Simpson
I love that set, VCI's prints are the best of have seen on those films I even e-mailed Boris Karloff's daughter the link to VCI's set. Sara Karloff is a great and classy lady! Did u get any other titles?
Sure did, the "de-serialized" movie version of the Green Hornet, The two volumes of lost TV pilots, Mr Wong as mentioned previously and the serial Flash Gordon Conquers the Universe.

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
Sure did, the "de-serialized" movie version of the Green Hornet, The two volumes of lost TV pilots, Mr Wong as mentioned previously and the serial Flash Gordon Conquers the Universe.
I got the Green Hornet Serials -- I love their Flash Gordon Conquers The Universe a while ago LOVE the special features VCI kind of pioneered that feature all because their dad have befriended Buster Crabbe in the 1970's - they became good friends and Buster would go to OK and appear at colleges and show a chapter of the serial. So VCI did interview Buster and it is really great stuff. I also liked seeing the Olympic footage too.

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
mary-pickford-sparrows.jpg

Coming soon Blu Ray/dvd combo! 4K restoration!

Last edited:

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
What do u think of their "Flash Gordon Conquers The Universe?"

John_Simpson

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
John C Simpson
What do u think of their "Flash Gordon Conquers The Universe?"
Thanks for soliciting my opinion but I haven't gotten to it yet. I've been enjoying the adventures of Mr. Wong but I'll let you know as soon as I get into Flash Gordon.
:)

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
Thanks for soliciting my opinion but I haven't gotten to it yet. I've been enjoying the adventures of Mr. Wong but I'll let you know as soon as I get into Flash Gordon.
:)
Any time! GREAT! Aren't The Mr. Wong films fun. VCI's prints are the best I have seen on them. Looking forward to your thoughts on FLASH!

Last edited:

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
I have just about all of the serials released by VCI, a few on BR. Every one looks very good to excellent. They're so good that if I see VCI as the distributor I order without hesitation.

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
I have just about all of the serials released by VCI, a few on BR. Every one looks very good to excellent. They're so good that if I see VCI as the distributor I order without hesitation.
If you are on FB too LIKE my page https://www.facebook.com/The-Original-Space-Operas-Flash-Gordon-113226364484595 - I am working with key players to get the Flash Gordon Serials restored off the best elements on Blu Ray the players are interested - I am trying not to put too much of the info on who the parties are one is a major studio === very surprised they have the serials and the other player is the oldest video firm in the world (just dropped a major hint) I do know VCI has some great stuff in the works! I wish they would put out the restored Dead End Kids serial they advertised as Coming Soon on their Gang Busters release.

John_Simpson

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
John C Simpson
Yes we do seem to be on the same page on all things film! My really fave XMAS film is between these 4 films "Scrooge" 1951, "The Bishop's Wife," "Miracle On 34th Street," and "Babes In Toyland." Followed by "White Christmas," "Holiday Affair" 1949, "Scrooge" 1970 Have you seen "Bush Christmas" a really offbeat film filmed in 1947 I think, in Australia really a fun little gem.
Wow! your top 4 are my go to films as well although I still associate Babes in Toyland as a Thanksgiving movie since that's when WPIX would broadcast it as March of the Wooden Soldiers in the 1960's. Bishop's Wife is still one of my favorite movies as well. A few years ago I found a copy of the original 1928 novella and was surprised how much better the movie screenplay was.

John_Simpson

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
John C Simpson
If you are on FB too LIKE my page https://www.facebook.com/The-Original-Space-Operas-Flash-Gordon-113226364484595 - I am working with key players to get the Flash Gordon Serials restored off the best elements on Blu Ray the players are interested - I am trying not to put too much of the info on who the parties are one is a major studio === very surprised they have the serials and the other player is the oldest video firm in the world (just dropped a major hint) I do know VCI has some great stuff in the works! I wish they would put out the restored Dead End Kids serial they advertised as Coming Soon on their Gang Busters release.
I don't do FaceBook but I saw the other thread where you shared the good news. Here's hoping! I appreciate your work to get the whole series restored. I'll be watching for those.

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
Wow! your top 4 are my go to films as well although I still associate Babes in Toyland as a Thanksgiving movie since that's when WPIX would broadcast it as March of the Wooden Soldiers in the 1960's. Bishop's Wife is still one of my favorite movies as well. A few years ago I found a copy of the original 1928 novella and was surprised how much better the movie screenplay was.
Never read the novella the source material for The Bishop's Wife, but a lot of the films success goes to Robert E. Sherwood and amazing writer who did stunning work on The Best Years Of Our Lives. WPIX still airs March Of The Wooden Soldiers on Thanksgiving Day - thanks to my close association with a new departed from the Station honcho and my twisting his so to speak they are airing it in Black and White in the morning and in the afternoon colorized. WPIX actually owns the film. Trying to get them to restore the film off the OCN which is at UCLA.

John_Simpson

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
John C Simpson
Small world!
WPIX still airs March Of The Wooden Soldiers on Thanksgiving Day - thanks to my close association with a new departed from the Station honcho and my twisting his so to speak they are airing it in Black and White in the morning and in the afternoon colorized. WPIX actually owns the film. Trying to get them to restore the film off the OCN which is at UCLA.

John_Simpson

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
John C Simpson
Any time! GREAT! Aren't The Mr. Wong films fun. VCI's prints are the best I have seen on them. Looking forward to your thoughts on FLASH!
The Mr Wong set was great but I wanted to let you know that I finally binge watched the first 4 episodes of Flash Gordon Conquers the Universe and I was impressed (that's the word) by how well it had been done. You were absolutely correct. Now if we could just find out who played Radio Officer Tekla?

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
The Mr Wong set was great but I wanted to let you know that I finally binge watched the first 4 episodes of Flash Gordon Conquers the Universe and I was impressed (that's the word) by how well it had been done. You were absolutely correct. Now if we could just find out who played Radio Officer Tekla?
Thanks for the update! Glad you like FLASH --- I grabbed it just for the Buster interviews about 2 years ago! I am going to share your thoughts with my contact at VCI too! Maybe I can find out who played Tekla!

John_Simpson

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
John C Simpson
Thanks for the update! Glad you like FLASH --- I grabbed it just for the Buster interviews about 2 years ago! I am going to share your thoughts with my contact at VCI too! Maybe I can find out who played Tekla!
Please do. Yeah, the whole "Who played Tekla" is a genuine online mystery. Check out the cast list at Wikipedia.
Since you're sharing my feedback allow me to be more complete. I almost had a heart attack when I saw the resolution of the preview videos on the Main Menu. I was relieved when I saw that the actual movie was much, much better. I even appreciated the little faux Easter Egg that played when I clicked on the "Dust" button. Really liked the option of Playing All or individual episodes, too.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks