What's new

USHE Announcement: Alfred Hitchcock: The Masterpiece Collection (Blu-ray) (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Originally Posted by rich_d /t/321703/ushe-announcement-alfred-hitchcock-the-masterpiece-collection-blu-ray/90#post_3947085
Thanks. Sadly, I fall into the category of those with a poor memory, as that information 'rings a bell.'
Every informed decision becomes one of effort/time/money and the best technology available. Apparently software tools that can effectively isolate audio elements are getting better and better. Perhaps in the future, the original sound effects can be stripped from available prints and restored so that the original foley work (or as close to original as possible) is restored. If Dan Auiler's book on Vertigo is correct (btw, no-brainer personal library addition for anyone truly interested in the film), on Katz/Harris' dime, the original music was saved by copying the score from that tapes as they were disintegrating. Mixing metaphors a bit, clearly your focus was on the big picture and as such that certainly included Bernard Herrmann's amazing score.

The score was actually preserved while we were working on My Fair Lady at Warner Hollywood. The audio techs allowed us to come in and dub the audio, which was no longer 35mm.

Mike Hyatt, a great technician and film buff, pressed his thumb against the stock while we poured lubricant over it, as the stock went past the heads.

Great fun!

RAH

rsmithjr

Screenwriter
Real Name
Robert Smith
Robert Harris said:
It seems that the legend of the Vertigo tracks comes up every few years or so, rather like cicadas.
A few facts.
The original tracks ( mixing stems, as well as the final mono dub) were junked at the behest of Mr. H's people in the late '60s, early '70s.
All that made its way to Universal c. 1983 were some used prints, as well as an optical track neg, missing many of its perforations.  It was junked.
A couple of M & Es were located in foreign territories, each with its own problems -- wow & flutter, locally created Foley, etc.
Our intent was to re-create, as closely as possible, the feeling of the 1958 track, but using the stereo mx recordings, which had survived at Paramount.
We were able to find Mr. H's dubbing notes, which are extremely precise, and should have served as a template, along with a basic copy of the original mono from a print.
New Foley had to be created, and the sound dept did quite a good job of it.
The problem came with the final mix, for which the studio made a decision to not follow the original, not to reference the mono, and create a new fully filled track, inclusive of adding bird sounds to the "dead" forest.
Had we been able to have our way, which we partially did, with a bit of outside intervention, things would have been fine, but in the end, the studio won.
I believe that a new mix, still using our stereo stems, but following our original intent, will be found on the new Blu-ray.
RAH
Thank you very much for this explanation as well as the original work.
I feel that the restoration soundtrack makes a great improvement over the original optical mono. I understand some of the criticisms, and agree with some of them, but I still appreciate the effort.
The music is one of the most important elements of the entire film, and hearing it in high fidelity and mostly stereo was, for me, a 40 year dream-come-true.
Thanks again.
Mr. Harris: what can you tell us about the new Vertigo Blu-ray and other titles contained in the collection? Your suggestion that it will follow the original more closely is very intriguing.
This is my favorite film and I am very interested in the outcome. Thanks in advance.

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
Originally Posted by Robert Harris /t/321703/ushe-announcement-alfred-hitchcock-the-masterpiece-collection-blu-ray/90#post_3947051

They were originally the actual floor recordings of the music. Very vinegar, and probably no longer survive, but had mag backup. While we located all of the original music, only certain cues were stereo.

The music was recorded originally in London, due to a domestic strike. After the UK joined, the mono was completed, to the best of memory, in Vienna.

RAH

And the "Carlotta's Grave" cue didn't even survive outside of a damaged m/e tape for foreign dubbing correct?

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve
Originally Posted by rsmithjr /t/321703/ushe-announcement-alfred-hitchcock-the-masterpiece-collection-blu-ray/120#post_3947213
Mr. Harris: what can you tell us about the new Vertigo Blu-ray and other titles contained in the collection? Your suggestion that it will follow the original more closely is very intriguing.
This is my favorite film and I am very interested in the outcome. Thanks in advance.

I'd be interested in hearing Mr. Harris's comments as well, but would understand if professional obligations do not allow him to comment. This (and the classic monsters set) have the potential to be landmark BD releases if done correctly. Being a glass half full guy, I prefer that scenario over the opposite one :)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Originally Posted by Steve...O /t/321703/ushe-announcement-alfred-hitchcock-the-masterpiece-collection-blu-ray/120#post_3947716

I'd be interested in hearing Mr. Harris's comments as well, but would understand if professional obligations do not allow him to comment. This (and the classic monsters set) have the potential to be landmark BD releases if done correctly. Being a glass half full guy, I prefer that scenario over the opposite one :)

While I'm aware of the procedures in place at Universal for this set, I'm not in a position to discuss.

My feeling toward it is simple. If everything is handled correctly, and I see no reason why it should not be, the set could be beautiful.

For me, the turning point in their new efforts, has been Born on the Fourth, which proves that they are more than capable of turning out superior work.

RAH

mikeyhitchfan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mike
Robert Harris said:
While I'm aware of the procedures in place at Universal for this set, I'm not in a position to discuss.
My feeling toward it is simple. If everything is handled correctly, and I see no reason why it should not be, the set could be beautiful.
For me, the turning point in their new efforts, has been Born on the Fourth, which proves that they are more than capable of turning out superior work.
RAH
That is the best news I've heard all year!! :D

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
I'm still going to hold out for reviews before ordering/pre-ordering, but it looks like I'm going to be upgrading the DVD master collection after all.

mikeyhitchfan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mike
Here's a thought about why we might see individual releases for some of these titles next year...(apart from greed):)
2013 ANNIVERSARY RELEASES
:D :D :D :D :D
1943 - Shadow of a Doubt - 70th!
1948 - Rope - 65th!
1958 - Vertigo - 55th!
1963 - The Birds - 50th!

David Weicker

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
mikeyhitchfan said:
Here's a thought about why we might see individual releases for some of these titles next year...(apart from greed):)
2013 ANNIVERSARY RELEASES
:D :D :D :D :D
1943 - Shadow of a Doubt - 70th!
1948 - Rope - 65th!
1958 - Vertigo - 55th!
1963 - The Birds - 50th!
Well, I hope we get individual releases for all the titles in this set, not just these Anniversary Releases. Considering I only want about four of the titles, and you've only listed one, I'd like the others to be made available as well
FTR, my four would be Shadow Of A Doubt, Rear Window, The Trouble With Harry, and Frenzy. The others I don't need to own (but to each his own).
David

DavidJ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Moe Dickstein said:
That is the best news I've heard all year.
I was about to say ditto, but my dad got a new kidney this year so I'll just say that is very good news indeed.

Persianimmortal

Screenwriter
Real Name
Koroush Ghazi
I'm eagerly anticipating this, but was dreading the choice between the oddly expensive $220 US set which has my preferred packaging (and may be region locked), and the cheaper £100.00 UK set, the large fancy packaging of which I do not like at all.
Then yesterday I was surprised to discover that my local Australian set appears to have the best of both worlds: the cheapest price ($119), the smaller US-style packaging, is obviously compatible with my own region, and as an added bonus, doesn't come with North By Northwest, which I already own on Blu-ray. I'm thoroughly pleased by this! It may be a viable import option for those of you in other countries who have the same packaging and price preference as I do - it is compatible with UK Region B, and may even be region unlocked for US buyers to consider.
The set can be seen/ordered here.

Real Name
Anthony
Persianimmortal said:
I'm eagerly anticipating this, but was dreading the choice between the oddly expensive $220 US set which has my preferred packaging (and may be region locked), and the cheaper £100.00 UK set, the large fancy packaging of which I do not like at all.
Then yesterday I was surprised to discover that my local Australian set appears to have the best of both worlds: the cheapest price ($119), the smaller US-style packaging, is obviously compatible with my own region, and as an added bonus, doesn't come with North By Northwest, which I already own on Blu-ray. I'm thoroughly pleased by this! It may be a viable import option for those of you in other countries who have the same packaging and price preference as I do - it is compatible with UK Region B, and may even be region unlocked for US buyers to consider.
The set can be seen/ordered here.
Thatcan't be the final artwork, though, as there's no hideous classification block. I'd be cautious that this isn't just a placeholder image.

Persianimmortal

Screenwriter
Real Name
Koroush Ghazi
Sure, it's probably not the final artwork because it's missing the classification box. However I strongly suspect at that price it's going to be in a regular-sized blu-ray package of some kind. It's very likely to be closer to or identical to the US set, rather than the giant elaborate UK/European style packaging.
I'm usually wary of ordering blu-rays locally as they're almost always wildly overpriced and always have some sort of issue, but recent precedent indicates otherwise - the Australian Forever Marilyn collection seen here is not only cheaper than the US set (at $60 vs. $74), it comes in sturdier but regular-sized packaging and contains all 7 movies as opposed to the cut-down 4 movie set the UK gets, and we got it a week earlier than the US to boot. User reviews of the transfers also indicate no problems. Once again, the best of all worlds. Except perhaps the large OFLC classification box on the front of the set, but frankly that's a non-issue for me.
So I recommend that price and space-conscious US and UK fans of Hitchcock hold out to see if the Australian set meets their needs. It's around $40 cheaper than the UK set, $100 cheaper than the US set, and should hopefully be region free. Of course we'll need to confirm the quality of the transfers, the region coding and other set details first to be sure. It'll be out a week later than the US set (3 October).

FrancisP

Screenwriter
Amazon UK is another possibility. It is packaged differently and costs 100 pounds. You get a 20% discount from that because the VAT is taken off of US orders. The shipping and handling in 3.09 pounds. The total is 86.41 pounds. Currently that would be around $138 with today's current pound to dollar ration. The listing even says region free.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Alfred-Hitchcock-Masterpiece-Collection-Blu-ray/dp/B008D1TNCE/ref=sr_1_1?s=dvd&ie=UTF8&qid=1343612789&sr=1-1

Persianimmortal

Screenwriter
Real Name
Koroush Ghazi
The UK set is noted in my posts above, however my point was really that not only is the Australian set the cheapest of all three, indications are that it will come in a smaller package. I normally don't fuss too much about blu-ray packaging; as long as it's not hideous or awkward I tend not to care about it. In fact I stopped posting at Blu-ray.com because the majority of discussion on that site centers around superfluous packaging gimmickry like digibooks, slipcovers, steelbooks, fancy cases with toys, etc. However in this instance I - and I believe at least a few other people - would prefer not to have the Hitchcock set in a hulking great box with the discs in a big book. For those of us who don't want the giant fancy packaging, the only alternative thus far was the far more expensive US set. So basically the Australian set, if it proves to have identical transfers (which it should), and is region-free (which it should), is likely to be the cheapest and best option for those wanting regular-sized packaging.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
Moe Dickstein said:
I'm going to just wait for it to appear at Costco which is where I got this collection on DVD.
Good call. I'll be looking for it there too.
I preordered Spellbound, Rebecca and Notorious from Amazon for $15 each or so. I ended up finding all 3 at Costco for $9.99 each.
I am very excited about this set! Looking forward to the reviews and hearing how good the films look on blu ray!

mikeyhitchfan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mike
Well, there's a new, smaller version of the box set in the U.K. listed here. Same size as the U.S. basically, with different cover art. Decisions........decisions.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B008RLD1VY/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nicos18
Recent bookmarks