What's new

Useless trivia thread. (1 Viewer)

MikeSerrano

Second Unit

All circulating U.S. coinage is included in that figure, half-dollars and one-dollar coins included.

There are 242 ways to make change for a dollar not using half-dollars or one-dollar coins.

-Mike

Dave_Brown

Supporting Actor
How do you make change for a dollar by giving someone back a dollar? I don't care if it is paper or a coin, a dollar is a dollar, right? So dollar coins shouldn't really be included in that number count, IMO.

Evelio Figueroa

Second Unit

I knew somebody was going to comment about this. ;)

I was watching Food Network last night. The show called "Top 5" placed this information before going to a commercial.

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
Dave, why does "make change" mean you have to give a bunch of smaller units? It's called change, because it's different. A dollar bill is different than a dollar coin...you've 'changed' it from paper to metal. - i.e. you've made it change.

I think we tend to use the term 'change' to mean a collection of small coins, but I don't think that's all it means.

Yee-Ming

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Yee Ming Lim

African-Europeans? Half the French national football team. I was born in Europe, so whilst we lived there I suppose I was a Chinese-European? Mauritius has a large Chinese community, so they'd be Chinese-Africans. And the former president of Peru was ethnic Japanese (Peru has a large Japanese community), so Asian-South Americans are obviously present and accounted for.

No doubt any combination you choose to try and come up with will be met by someone. One of the wonders of this modern world. I remember seeing Chinese restaurants in Stockholm, so they'd be Chinese-Scandinavians?

I suppose the "confusion" arises in how one applies this nomenclature. To extrapolate from American use of terms like "Asian-American", "African-American", "Italian-American", I would surmise that the first refers to your ethnic group, the second to either nationality or place of residence. Hence just about any combination could be arrived at, if you look hard enough.

Dave_Brown

Supporting Actor

Mark,
I just don't think trading a dollar for a dollar counts as making change. So if someone asked for change for a paper dollar and I hand them a different paper dollar with a different serial number, would I still then be making change?

Change to me is a bunch of smaller units, usually they will rattle around in my pocket after I get it.
In the case of a paper dollar to a metal one, you're trading something of the same value that really didn't help the person accomplish what they set out to do, change one piece of currency into multiple pieces equal to the same value.

Not a big deal, I just wouldn't consider it making change in the common understanding of the term.

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
I know, I'm not arguing to be a jerk, I'm just interested. You say that the common understanding is that a dollar bill must be exchanged for several smaller pieces of currency, but as Mike stated, the phrase may be misunderstood which doesn't (IMO) make it understood, that would mean it is common missunderstanding.

Anyways, not to derail the thread, I started a new thread to discuss this in: :) (oh the joy of the After Hours Lounge) :D
http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...hreadid=187368

Micah Cohen

Screenwriter
Butterflies are cannibals. (Not meaning they can be canned, considering the previous posts, altho they probably can be canned. I mean, instead, that they eat their own kind all the time.)

And that thing about the guy who invented 7up being an albino and thus the "spot," that's hooey. But of course, 7up changed their website and now I can't find the documentation. But I collect early 7up stuff, so I know this kind of thing. Trust me.

MC

JohnS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Steffens
Micah,
I got that 7-up trivia thing from a useless trivia website.
had no idea where to look it up to confirm it.

Micah Cohen

Screenwriter
I've been searching for days online to find that 7up albino eyes mythbuster, but all I've really come up with is http://www.softestbridge.com/, which of course has nothing at all to do with what this thread is about but is nifty cool nonetheless. I guess.

MC

Rob Gardiner

Senior HTF Member
Seven tenths of the Earth's surface is water.

Why, do you realize, over seventy percent of you is water.

As human beings, we require fresh, pure water to replenish our precious bodily fluids.

Now are you beginning to understand? :)

greenscreened

Second Unit
Real Name
Bob
12.During the chariot scene in 'Ben Hur' a small red car can be seen in the distance.
To film portions of the CR scene, they needed to have a crew member sitting backwards on the backside of the camera vehicle, while dragging a wide broom-like tool to conceal the tire marks it just left.

Unfortunately, it also left bristle marks, that were noticeable in the older video releases, don't know if they concealed them on any of the DVD or BD versions though.

greenscreened

Second Unit
Real Name
Bob
month rhymes with? so there would be no other word that rhymes with month.

If Car 54 were filmed in the last two decades, we know officer Muldoon would be calling Officer Toody, Gunth...does that count?...probleeee not.

Each year, 2500 left handed people die from products designed for right handed people.
Excluding the many neutral carpenter tools like hammers, screwdrivers and wrenches etc, the tape measure is a tool that's actually easier to use by left-handed people, that is if you want to read the numbers right-side up.

When right-y (me) has to measure and mark something, they hold the tape in their right (major) hand, while having to hold the pencil and mark with it in their left (minor) hand.
Holding and pulling the tape in either hand requires little coordination.

It's times like these that I'd actually give my left hand to be ambidextrous.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks