What's new

Urgent - Need Opinions on Dell DLP Projector (1 Viewer)

Scott Dautel

Second Unit
This deal can't last long...

Dell is offering their 2100MP DLP Projector for $900*.
* Price requires 10% off coupon code: 4491A592C8BB
This looks like the deal that may push me over. Specs are:
  • 1 chip DLP DDR Technology
  • Motion-adaptive hardware de-interlacing with 3:2 pulldown
  • F/2.4, f=22.4 fixed focal lens
  • SVGA (800x600 pixels)
  • 1800:1 contrast ratio
  • s-video, component input
  • digital keystone correction
I've tried DLP at home (loaner unit) and was thrilled with the image ... Rainbow effect does NOT bother me. The unit I tried was XGA, but I reason that 800x600 pixels is fine for prog scan dvd, which is 480 viewable lines. I presume it will project the DVD image from a prog scan player with no upconversion, right?

Any other things I need to be concerned about?

Scott

Max Leung

Senior HTF Member
What was the color wheel speed of the loaner you had? If it is 2x, then the Dell should be alright rainbow-wise (provided everything else is equal).

You may also wish to search www.avsforum.com , I recall a thread or two on the Dell 2100MP in the Under $5000 Digital Projector forum.

IanSC

Auditioning
I bought a 2100mp during the last sale which was 850 plus tax, and I am very impressed so far (it is my first projector). I haven't hooked up a progressive source yet, still trying to build an HTPC, but through composite and s-video the picture is quite nice at about 80" diagnal 4:3.

I've heard on AVS that an 800x600 projector would display DVD's at 800x450, so while there is no upconversion, you do lose 30 lines of resolution. Personally, I think DVD's look great on this pj (even non-progressive) and it could only get better with a prog-scan source.

Max Leung

Senior HTF Member
Alternately, you could "zoom" (aka increase overscan) to a DVD image and crop the excess lines if you only have 800x450.

Scott Dautel

Second Unit
I did it based on comments from this thread. Will post a detailed review after setup. The only drawback is that this Proj apparently does NOT have zoom. So image size is dictated by throw distance. For this reason, I also bought the Dell ceiling mount.

Scott

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks