What's new

Upscaled dvds no better than 480p through component? (1 Viewer)

Calvin_Su

Stunt Coordinator
I am seriously starting to believe that upscaled dvds look no better than 480p through component.

In 2002 - 2006 I had a 53 inch panasonic RPTV and a panasonic rp-82 progressive scan dvd player connected through component.

DVDs looked great on it. Especially Lord of the Rings.

Today, I have a samsung ln-t4071f LCD, one of Samsung's top of the line 120 hz LCDs. I also have a PS3, known as one of the best upconverting DVD players out there.

I swear...dvds look worse on this set up than they did on my old panny RPTV and rp82 player. The image is really soft, colors washed out...dvds basically look like the movie is 20 years old.

Does anyone else have similar experiences?

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
I agree that the benefits of upconversion have been oversold, but something doesn't sound right. It sounds like either (a) your LCD isn't calibrated right, or (b) your eyes miss your old RPTV. There are some very good LCD images out there, but not all of them are up to the quality of CRT sets. Still, at a 40" screen size, you should be able to get a decent picture.

M.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I suspect calibration is part of the issue.

With that TV you should be using hdmi. Besides, I didn't think any players did upscaling through component. With all the money you have in that TV I would get an Oppo player. Is the PS3 known as one of the best upscaling players?

Calvin_Su

Stunt Coordinator
I should also mention that blurays look very good on my tv.

HDTV programming is a mixed bag...sometimes it looks decent..sometimes it looks like crap...I use QAM to get local channels in hd through cable...but I think I will go out and get a silver sensor antenna soon.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
The same settings that work for Blu-ray may not be appropriate for standard def. Write down your current settings; then try re-calibrating with a standard definition source.

M.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
There is a setting on the PS3 that affects how it upscales. Have you tweaked that?

Nophix

Auditioning
Real Name
Rob Milton
Get it hooked up via HDMI. We had the same prob with the PS3 when I tested one. It wouldn't upconvert through component. Threw it on HDMI, made a few adjustments to the settings, and what a difference! It's no Blu Ray, but it looks darn good!

Jeff F.

Second Unit
I've had my PS3 for three weeks now, hooked to a Sony KDL52W3000 LCD display via HDMI, and the upscaling is as close to HD as one can get. I, too, recommend getting HDMI cables.

Gordon Wakim

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Gordon
It's my understanding that most players will not upsacle through componet connections. This was at the request of the studios. There may be some that do, but most only upconvert through DVI or HDMI.

Jerome Grate

Senior HTF Member
Ditto Gordon, you are not getting an upscaled picture via component. You can get HD via component but that's it.

Calvin_Su

Stunt Coordinator
You guys misunderstood.

I have my ps3 connected through HDMI.

I was saying that "upscaled" dvds through hdmi on my samsung look no better(maybe worse) than my 6 year old panny rptv hooked up to a panny rp82 progressive scan dvd player through component.

So now that we've established that I do have hdmi connection - What is the problem?

Chris Gerhard

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chris Gerhard

I don't know what the problem is. Since I don't know what calibration is possible using the "Ratatouille" Blu-ray disc, I might start with a calibration using a DVD calibration disc. I have calibrated using Blu-ray DVE and the DVD DVE and saved the results for each which are selectable. I will say the resulting settings were not that different and I do sometimes watch Blu-ray using the DVD settings and vice versa and really only switch if I see something that makes me think about it.

I do own the PS3 and several other upscaling DVD players and although I don't use the PS3 for DVD since it is far more expensive than my other DVD players, I save the wear and tear, I have looked at the performance and I consider it good. DVD playback is generally really good with these recent players in my opinion so I will assume the issues you have are caused by the display or display settings. The other possibility is that after owning Blu-ray for a while, DVD just won't look that great to you and your memory of better DVD performance in prior years isn't really accurate, you didn't have Blu-ray then which makes DVD look not so good in comparison.

Chris

LanceJ

Senior HTF Member
Possibly the Samsung monitor.

I'll admit up front I've never owned a Samsung monitor but that's on purpose: nothing personal but I didn't trust them when they sold junky (IMO) entry-level gear in the late 80s/early 90s, and together with numerous reviews + personal interaction with stores' demo gear, I still don't trust them now.

---> Alternate connection method: use component from the PS3 to the monitor and allow the monitor's internal upscaler to do the upscaling & see what happens.

Allan Jayne

Senior HTF Member
Proper upscaling of regular DVD's consists of two separate steps: 480i to 480p, and 480p to whatever.

If step 1 is not done well or is attempted in a manner commingled with step 2, you won't get good results no matter how good step 2 is.

All HDTV's do step 1 for better or worse. If you set the player to putput 480i then the TV will do both step 1 and step 2. Try this to see (visually) if the TV gives better results.

By the way, hi-def DVD's such as Blu-Ray going to non-CRT HDTV's also need a step 1 (to 1080p) and, if the final result is to be 720p or 768p, they need a step 2.

Video hints: Line Doublers and De-Interlacers

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mycuu
Recent bookmarks