UPN's Enterprise: Letter-boxed 16:9

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by SeanA, Apr 23, 2003.

1. SeanA

SeanA Second Unit

I am a Trekky and yet not a big fan of Enterprise, but I was excited to see how it would look in widescreen now that I have my new Samsung digital receiver for OTA reception. What a disappointment... the local UPN station appears to have letter-boxed UPN even though the show is widescreen. I have gray bars on both sides and black bars on the top and bottom.

Am I correct that they are forcing the show into 4:3 format and not broadcasting it in HD ??? If so, why would they do this to a show that is recorded in 16:9 ???

2. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Sean, Enterprise is not broadcast in HD.

3. SteveBr

SteveBr Auditioning

Jack,

It is in Australia.....

Steve Brown

4. SeanA

SeanA Second Unit

Hey Guys,

I've been away for a little while, but thanks for the feedback.

Just wondering why Enterprise would be 16:9 format if it is not HD ? What is it taped in HD, but UPN does not broadcast it in HD ?

5. Jonathan Dagmar

Jonathan Dagmar Supporting Actor

My guess is that it is being shot on film, probably super 35, reason being that it is one of the first shows being produced with future DVD releases in mind. It's a good bet they are recording the audio with a 5.1 mix in mind as well.

6. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

7. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

Enterprise is mastered in HD, the problem is that very few UPN stations have HD broadcast capability. When I talked to my local UPN programming director about Buffy's pre-emptions with emergency sporting events, I asked if they were planning on showing Enterprise in HD now that they have the equipment in place. He told me that UPN only sends the stamdard (non-anamorphic) NTSC master out on their feeds, and that they might do an HDTV test run in May (this was back in the fall) with Enterprise. Frankly I'm guessing that not enough UPN stations are HD ready for them to bother, and frankly I have my doubts that they're going to spend the satellite time to broadcast an anamorphic version for the few stations on DTV either.

8. Dan Hitchman

Dan Hitchman Cinematographer

HD is not anamorphic. It's frame is native 1.78:1. DVD has the anamorphic enhancement feature because it was originally designed for 1.33:1 TV's.

Dan

9. RobertR

RobertR Lead Actor

10. BrianW

BrianW Cinematographer

Brian
    Robert, you're right. On a set that is capable of displaying both anamorphic and non-anamorphic material, HD should be treated as if it were anamorphic, just like an anamorphic DVD.

But Dan is also correct. Technically, HD is not anamorphic since it displays in the correct aspect ratio on native HD display equipment. Since HD is its own standard, and not an "enhancement" of a "non-anamorphic" standard, it is what it is by definition. And by definition, it's not anamorphic - it's just, um... "wider" than NTSC television.

So even though it's not anamorphic, don't expect to have it display correctly on an NTSC-capable set unless you treat it as if it were anamorphic.

Clear as mud? I thought so. [​IMG]

11. Hanson

Hanson Producer

Hanson
    Well, anamorphic DVD's have the same horizontal resolution regardless of whether it's 4:3 or 16:9. True HDTV has full 16:9 resolution.

Anamorphic refers to the fact that the source is horizontally distorted and then optically reconstituted by stretching the image back into proportion. Both 1080i and 720p are 1.78 ratio resolutions.

12. Dan Hitchman

Dan Hitchman Cinematographer

Yup, many rear and front projection CRT sets squeeze the rasters in order to get a 1.78:1 image from 1.33:1 guns, however the HD format is digital and it's two main resolutions, 1080 and 720, equal approx. 1.78:1.

Dan