What's new

Upgrade Pioneer Elite 26TX to 43 or 45? $120 diff. (1 Viewer)

Andy Young

Stunt Coordinator
I have a chance to upgrade my 26TX for a very reasonable amount of money. My options are for a 43 or 45. The 45 will cost me $120 more than the 43.

I'm doing my research and reading up on this forum. Yes, I did do the searches. I've also downloaded and printed the spec sheets from Pioneer, where there is only a $200 MSRP price difference.

I'm trying to understand the differences to see if the $120 (which is NOT a trivial amount of money for me) is worth it.

Power, amplification, channels, decoding modes, THX certification, processing, and construction all look identical.

45 has auto MCACC, which a lot of people have said is a very valuable feature for set-up. I don't have an SPL meter, so I might like this feature.

45 has some additional "Convenience" features, but I don't really know what they mean (e.g., MR/MS w/ Front Panel Control). Seems to be a wash here.

Do they both have the Illuminated Smart LCD Remote?

45 has RS-232 and USB connectivity. I have no plans to use these. It has an extra optical input, which I don't need.

Does the 43 have Component video in/out feature?

Do either of these receivers have Speaker B setting, for outdoor speakers?

I'm in the process of downloading the user manuals for each, but appreciate any responses.

Thanks.

BTW, I currently use 5.1 speakers, have TV, DVD, VCR, and Sat as inputs; TV monitor as output. Use S-Video connections. TV is not component compatible. Specifically:

I have Paradigm speakers all around (Phantoms, CC-270, Atoms, and PDR-12). I currently have the following components hooked up using S-Video: DISH Network satellite receiver (older model w/ digital audio output), Pioneer DV-525 DVD player, Mitsubishi SVHS (use about twice a year), and the audio from my Sony 27" (non-Wega, non-XBR) TV (for OTA signals).

Andy Young

Stunt Coordinator
OK, it looks like the 43TX does have component in/out in the manual. It's about 3lbs lighter than the 45TX. How come?

Also, from another thread:
I don't need 2, 6, 8, or 9. I really want 5 (I just recently wired my house for outdoor speakers) and 3 (my 26 has on-screen and I like it). I think I want 1, it's received rave reviews. Don't know what 7 is.

I think that made up my decision. The need for the ability to assign the rear surr amps to outdoors, the onscreen disply, and the auto MCACC are worth the $120 to me.

Lynn Little

Stunt Coordinator
"45 has auto MCACC, which a lot of people have said is a very valuable feature for set-up."

The Auto-MCCAC is worth the difference, IMO. Get the 45TX. You'll be glad you did. I love mine!

Jon_Welker

Second Unit
Andy,

I just went through the exact same thing about 2 months ago between the 43 and 45, and the price difference was about the same. If you would like to e-mail me I put together a little comparison spreadsheet between the 2 on where the main differences were. I can tell you this much from my experience with MCACC is that it is the best thing since sliced bread. Also, I thing one of those SPL meters would run you about $40 at Radio Shack, so figure that into the equation, plus extra time. The on-screen display for the 45 is very beneficial, and it helps to see it on the TV rather than the receiver or remote. Much more user-friendly. #7 (12v trigger) from the best I understand is being able to plug another component into the 45 and it will have power through the 45. You can't plug a TV or something like that in, but it would work for a DVD/CD player, VCR, Satellite receiver, etc. I haven't used the USB port yet, but in the upcoming weeks I may have a spare laptop that I could dedicate to it for MP3's. More gee whiz technologly than anything. I'm same as you with the outdoor speakers. Just need to buy them yet. Also, in terms of resale value I think the extra $120 for the 45 would get you more on the back-end if you would ever sell the receiver to upgrade (namely due to that MCACC option and the extra digital input). Anyway, if you want that spreadsheet send me an e-mail and I will forward it on to you. It is from the viewpoint of a relative new person to all this with some detailed questions regarding HT technology as well. Best of luck.

-Jon

DanielSmi

Second Unit

That's not true the 12v trigger is generally used to turn on an amp but can be used with other products with a 12v input. What it does is that when you turn on the 45TX it sends a signal through 12v cable and will turn on an external amp for example. My Monster Power HTS 5100 line conditioner has 12v trigger so if I connected the 45TX with the 5100 via a 12v trigger and plugged all other components into the 5100 when I turned on the 45TX it would allow the components to be turned on.

The 12v doesn't supply power to the component it just turns it on and you could connect it to a TV if it had a 12v input. I believe mono mini jack cable is used for the connection.

Daniel Smith

MikeRP

Supporting Actor
Andy:

All joking aside - go with the 45TX - don't even look back - the MCACC alone is worth the cash.

The 3 pounds difference is puzzeling. Can't spell - cna't you tell:)

Theres been some speculation on other forums that the amp section is slightly different. Others have said Pioneer said the amplification is different between the 43 and 45 but you can't tell it by the specs.

Mike

Pete Jennings

Second Unit
Upgrade quickly!! The 26TX is notorious for cold solder joints on the DSP board. MANY people had trouble with it. My 26TX lasted all of 26 months before the audio started cutting out. I absolutely WOULD upgrade for $120 - period!!!!

Do a search if you don't believe me!

Pete

Jon_Welker

Second Unit
Daniel,

Thanks for the clarification, and keeping me in line. Like I said in my initial post, "from the best that I understand", so now I know. I guess I'm a little more used to working with PC's when you can sometimes plug the monitor into the back of the PC for power. Who knew???

Andy Young

Stunt Coordinator
Upgrade quickly!! The 26TX is notorious for cold solder joints on the DSP board. MANY people had trouble with it. My 26TX lasted all of 26 months before the audio started cutting out. I absolutely WOULD upgrade for $120 - period!!!!

Do a search if you don't believe me!

Pete
Yes, I know ... first hand! That's why I'm upgrading.

I've chronicled my plight since April 2002 in this thread:

My dead and dying 26TX.

Pioneer is working with me on this and, after giving me one repair free (4 months out of warranty), they are giving me a trade-in value on my current VSX-26TX toward the purchase (direct from the factory) of a new unit. I'll post more details when the transaction is complete, but I really can't say enough about how easy it's been for me to work with Pioneer customer service on this so far.

Decision

As I alluded to above, I am going with the VSX-45TX. There were a couple of features that were important to me: ability to have outdoor speakers, onscreen menus, and MCCAC. There also are mentions of (though I can't find hard confirmation) that the 45 has a better remote and slightly beefier amps.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mycuu
Recent bookmarks