What's new

Update: Dick Van Dyke Show On DVD .... Looks Like We'll Be Waiting A Little Longer (1 Viewer)

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
I check the dvd-on-dvd website daily....and noted today's (December 12th) update.
What a mess!
Seems there's a lot of legal wrangling to be done before we'll see the great big "Ottoman Collection" in our personal DVD collections.
But Mr. Denoff claims it WILL BE PRODUCED!
Too bad about the delays .... but I'll wait. It's one first-rate show! It'll be worth the wait! :)
Latest Update.....
www.dvdondvd.com

Randy A Salas

Screenwriter
Doug is wrong about Image ("if you visit Image Entertainment's website, you'll see that they are hardly the right fit for the DVD show with all the soft-core junk they release"), which we have to thank for releasing such classic TV fare as the entire Twilight Zone (taking over a project that Pioneer abandoned) and I Spy. But I certainly hope he wins out with his quest to release The Dick Van Dyke Show in its entirety.

As I told him when he first started the project, I stand ready to publicize the DVDs in a Top 15 major daily newspaper whenever they become available. I will reaffirm that to him in an email.

Brandon

Agent
I find this deeply troubling.

But I've always wondered if releasing all 158 episodes together(and without any individual sets or discs) is the best method. This is without a doubt my favorite tv show, but I'd have a hard time affording this.

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
Brandon......
According to DVD-on-DVD, you won't be forced to buy the WHOLE nine yards.
You'll be able to purchase just one season, or just ONE DISC!
Quoting the site's information.......
"You will be able to purchase one disk, a boxed season, or the whole collection. For serious collectors, we will offer a limited edition consisting of all the disks, special material, and some personally autographed items, all encased in a "flip-top" ottoman, just like the one DVD trips over (most of the time!) in the opening credits."
:)

Jimmy Wong

Grip
I want the entire series, but I'm not a HUGE fan of "special packaging". For the most part, it just takes up extra space and with over 1300 DVD's, I need to economize space.

It seems that DVD has gotten so popular, almost all "special projects" end up being taken over and distributed en masse. (Which ultilmately ends up being cheaper for us collectors).

I hope though Mr. Denoff can pull it off. I've been checking his site on and off for over a year and was eargerly awaiting the set.

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
I want the entire series, but I'm not a HUGE fan of "special packaging".
I agree Jimmy W.
I'd just as soon have 5 separate season boxed sets (with nice-looking appropriate cover art on each). Which, actually, it will probably be....with then all 5 sets put inside the unique "ottoman" thingie. The Van Dyke set would almost have to be packaged individually like this, because they say you can buy just a season at a time (or just ONE disc). Can't imagine why somebody would want to buy just a single 6-episode disc though. But...to each his own.
I would also tend to think that giving the "1-disc at a time" option would be a headache for the people at DVD-on-DVD packaging the show. They'll have to have some sort of alternative packaging available for the customer that wants just a single disc. Nice option, I guess, but seems it would be quite costly. (Unless they just plan to toss the 1-disc orders into a plain paper sleeve.) :)

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
Rob (after phone call to Laura from Sally): "Laura, you're not gonna have another...er...you know [baby], are ya?"
Laura: "Oh Rob! ... Would Sally call to tell ME that?!!"

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
From [email protected] .........
We've added a news item for "Dick Van Dyke Show, The" to the site. Here it is:
Dick Van Dyke season sets in 3rd Quarter? - 5:17 PM 1/29/2003
According to Video Business magazine, Image VP of marketing Garrett Lee had this to say in an interview this past Friday:
"As for The Dick Van Dyke Show, the classic sitcom co-starring Mary Tyler Moore that ran on CBS from 1961-66, Lee said Image will probably release it in single-season compilations. (It is) targeted for release in the third quarter, Lee added."
Great news for those of us desperately waiting for complete episodes. As this is coming from Image Entertainment, it ought to be the "official" release of the series that has been spoken of for over a year at the Dick Van Dyke website (www.DVDonDVD.com).
You were sent this email because you have expressed having "Dick Van Dyke Show, The" released on DVD. If you no longer want to receive these emails you may change the setting in your User Options - "Change Account Information".
Gord Lacey - http://www.TVShowsOnDVD.com

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks