What's new

Upcoming Criterion releases (1 Viewer)

Adam_S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam_S
My guess at the John Ford is that it will be something special and unique, unlike any other DVD release. Is it possible Criterion may collect a bunch of his fragmented work from the teens and twenties and create a sort of John Ford Silent Retrospective set? That would be something extraordinary! Imagine if they created a feature length or longer documentary on John Ford and had it using DVD features to work in tandem with the surviving footage. Say a historian like Scott Eyman, or others like Dan Ford were interviewed and as they discussed early movies, clips would play alongside their analysis. You could possibly choose (ala infinifilm) to watch whatever remaining fragments of that film there are, or watch the complete film for some of the shorts and serials stuff.

I could imagine a three or four disc set of John Ford: the Silent Years. :) Can you imagine how wonderful this would be for preservation purposes? instead of a few remaining copies moldering in a variety of scattered archives, people all over the world could see them, instead of only the book authors researching Ford.

That would be something really extraordinary, and it's probably a pipe dream. :p

Damin J Toell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Damin J. Toell

Despite the various cheap releases of it on video, this film is not actually in the public domain. While it had fallen into the public domain the US in the past, it had its US copyright restored in August of 1997 by Carlton (who bought the Rank library, which had previously bought the Gaumont library). The US has allowed restoration of certain classes of foreign works that fell into the public domain pursuant to the Uruguay Round of the GATT Treaty. The Man Who Knew Too Much, along with the rest of Hitchcock's British films, are once again copyrighted in the US. Any company that was selling unlicensed copies of these films prior to August of 1997 had one year to sell off its remaining stock. Clearly, many companies have ignored this, and the falsely-designated "public domain" videos continue to be sold everywhere to this day.

For the record, Criterion has always obtained the proper licenses for their British Hitchcock releases from Carlton/Rank/Gaumont. This is undoubtedly why their transfers put all competing releases to shame, as they actually get access to source elements. If they do The Man Who Knew Too Much, one can be sure that they will use legitimate channels once again.

DJ

Mark_vdH

Screenwriter
What are other possible Criterion Hitchcocks? Carlton also owns Jamaica Inn and Secret Agent, don't they?

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I'm hearing that Warner is working on releasing "Foreign Correspondent" some time in the near future.

Crawdaddy

Damin J Toell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Damin J. Toell

I am not sure who owns Jamaica Inn in the US. It has been released on DVD in the US by Kino (who appear to put out only legitimate releases as far as I can tell (e.g., the only authorized Metropolis disc)). The Kino disc bears a 1939 copyright for Paramount Pictures. Presumably Kino licensed the film from Paramount or some other unnamed successor to Paramount's copyright. The film has also been released on DVD in the UK by Carlton, so perhaps either Carlton is the unnamed licensor for Kino's release or the film has some other strange chain of title that has kept Carlton out of the loop of US rights.

Calrton owns Secret Agent, as that was a Gaumont production. Carlton also owns the Gainsborough library, including The Lodger and Easy Virtue. In addition, Canal+ also owns Hitchcock's films produced by British International Pictures, including Blackmail and The Ring.

DJ

Jim_K

Senior HTF Member
I'll be picking up Testament of Dr Mabuse. I do like Stray Dog but not enough to buy it.

The other 5 titles I'll rent through Netflix.

John Hodson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John

I quite agree Adam; that would be fantastic. I've got a hunch - and that's all it is - it may be 1933's Pilgrimage. But who knows (well, Criterion, but they aren't telling!)

---
So many films, so little time...

Dome Vongvises

Senior HTF Member
Another Criterion Kurosawa release? Damn, I'm still trying to catch up with Rashomon and Throne of Blood. :frowning: :)

Haggai

Senior HTF Member
Dome, Stray Dog rocks, it's really a great movie. I don't blind buy Criterions myself, since I don't want to pay that much for something I haven't seen, so I strongly recommend renting this one if you get a chance, or blind buying if you're more willing than I am to make a leap of faith.

I've gotta rent Ikiru at some point, since I've never seen it. Although, as universally acclaimed as that movie is, I might break down at some point and just buy it blind. I did check out Kurosawa's Red Beard from the university library here a little while back, and I'm glad I did that without buying it, since I didn't like the movie all that much. Great Stephen Prince commentary, which was worth listening to anyway.

Peter M Fitzgerald

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Fitzgerald
Woo-hoo! STRAY DOG and TESTAMENT OF DR. MABUSE!! Mine!!! :D

TESTAMENT OF DR. MABUSE would have to be the uncut 1933 version, since David Kalat, who's responsible for the Allday Entertainment DVD of the 1962 TESTAMENT OF DR. MABUSE remake of a few years back, stated that he only had the rights to the remake and a shortened version of the 1933 MABUSE film, and that Janus Films/Criterion had the rights to the longer cut of the 1933 original. Turner Classic Movies also ran the longer 1933 MABUSE a few years ago, and it sported the Criterion Collection logo before the film.

Douglas Bailey

Second Unit
Real Name
Douglas Bailey

I'm guessing The Paradine Case: it's the only one of the Anchor Bay Hitchcock DVD issues that hasn't been re-issued by Criterion so far.

In other news: Stray Dog! Woo-hoo!

Brook K

Senior HTF Member
Love Stray Dog, will also buy A Woman Is A Woman. Also love Smiles of a Summer Night but already have the UK disc and its unlikely I'll double dip. Interested in The Leopard and Tin Drum but will rent before buying.

Interesting chat.

Will*B

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Will
Just a quick piece of advice to those who are looking forward to 'A Woman is a Woman'...

If you like this film, then you probably like 'Pierrot Le Fou', but the Fox Lorber DVD is absolutely awful.

However... There's a superb version of Pierrot available on French DVD from Amazon.fr that features:

- Brand new 16:9 2.35:1 digital transfer
- Fully Removable English subtitles
- Commentary (French only)
- Documentary (French Only)
- Selection of trailers
- English dubbed version

It's really a great DVD, and is available pretty cheap.

If you have the means (it's R2 PAL), it comes highly rec'd.

Dave F

Senior HTF Member
I'm very, very pleased to hear that Ugetsu is in the pipeline. Even if it is a long ways away, as long as it gets released I'll be happy. I used to email Criterion about this every few weeks & eventually gave up.

It's been so long since I've seen it, I can barely remember it. It will be interesting to view it from a different perspective.

-Dave

Will*B

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Will

Absolutely - the DVD has professionally translated English subs. It's only €20.98 at Amazon.fr - they also have 'Made in USA' - but with no subs.

If Pierrot is your favourite Godard film, then this DVD really is a must-have.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
khuranatech
Recent bookmarks