What's new

Unreleased Christmas specials on DVD? (1 Viewer)

JamesSmith

Senior HTF Member
Dear DVDphiles:

This year I picked up the newly released on DVD, Berke Breathed's "A Wish for Wings that Work." I think it's one of the fewer and fewer Christmas specials that haven't made it to digital yet.

Some that haven't made it to DVD yet, include the Richard Williams version of A Christmas Carol. (You should see how much and old VHS copy of it costs on Ebay). Perhaps some other Rankin-Bass classics like The Leprecahn's Christmas Gold, The Little Drummer Boy Book 2, The Stingiest Man in Town, The First Christmas Snow . . .haven't made it out either.

What about you guys? What are some of your favorite seasonal specials that haven't come out yet?

JamesSmith

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
I would like to see a re-release of A Muppet Family Christmas. It was on DVD for about 5 minutes in 2001. Discs go for big bucks now on ebay.

Travis Brashear

Screenwriter
For anyone who cares (though it only has a razor-thin application to this topic), A VERY SPECIAL CHRISTMAS: 20th Anniversary Music Video Collection came out on Tuesday, and proceeds go to the Special Olympics. I spent about $11.50 (shipping included) just for U2's "Christmas, Baby Please Come Home" video!

Bingo

Stunt Coordinator
Still waiting for a release of John Denver and the Muppets Christmas on DVD. The soundtrack is played every year in our family.

Joe*A

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Joe
I'm hoping to see two wonderful Oscar Wilde adaptations: The Selfish Giant and The Happy Prince. They were a staple to Christmas programming here in Canada in the 70s and would love to see them again.

JamesSmith

Senior HTF Member
Joe A--I think I remember those two Oscar Wilde specials. If they're the two I'm thinking of--they were great adaptations. Have no idea who has the rights--but I hope they come out on DVD as well.

JamesSmith

Don3996

Agent
Real Name
Don
I still await A Very Brady Christmas to complete my collection. I already owned all the seasons when the Complete Collection came out which included this special, I wasnt about to rebuy them all just for this special.

Joe*A

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Joe
According to IMdb, The Selfish Giant garnered an Oscar nomination for best short subject feature. Another reason for anyone who has the rights to this gem TO RELEASE IT ON DVD BEFORE CHRISTMAS 2007 - PA...LEASE!!!!!

And while your at it - don't forget The Happy Prince.....

Qui-Gon John

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Co
The Night Before Christmas that tells the story of the writer and his sick daughter.

DeWilson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Denny
Anyone remember that animated version of A CHRISTMAS CAROL that CBS ran every thanksgiving late morning-early afternoon from in the mid-1970's-early - 1980's sponsered by KENNER?

Elena S

Supporting Actor
This isn't a special but a made-for-TV movie, "The Three Kings," starring Jack Warden and Lou Diamond Phillips and written by Stirling Silliphant, produced by Aaron Spelling. It was shown ONCE -- on ABC in 1987 -- and has never been aired on TV again. I can't understand why, because it's one of the best Christmas movies I've ever seen. I'd give anything to have it on DVD.

Tory

-The Snappy Sneezer- -Red Huck-
Real Name
Tory
I said this elsewhere and rather than retype it, paste:

Andy Williams and the NBC Kids Search for Santa with Lisa Bonet, Tempestt Bledsoe, Keshia Knight Pulliam and Malcolm-Jamal Warner from the Cosby Show, Soleil Moon Frye, Cherie Johnson, Ami Foster, and Casey Ellison from Punky Brewster, Joey Lawrence from Gimmie a Break with kid brother Matthew Lawrence, I believe before his Gimmie a Break stint, Alfonso Ribeiro from Silver Spoons but best known now for Fresh Prince of Bel-Air and Mindy Cohn from Facts of Life and I do believe Topo Gigio appears as well, if not in this one then in the sequel, Easter in Rome, he may have been in both. Easter in Rome features the Lawrence brothers, Kim Fields of Facts of Life, Tina Yothers of Family Ties, Danny Ponce of Valerie also known as The Hogan Family and Pope John Paul II.

I want the Christmas one most of all but the Easter one would make the package nicer.

JamesSmith

Senior HTF Member
Also forgot the seventies telemovie, The Gathering with Ed Asner. Deserves a second chance on DVD.

As for the Kenner A Christmas Carol that was shown quite frequently on CBS in the seventies. That would be nice to come out on DVD as well. It did come out on VHS about 9 years ago. And I do have a copy of it. Hopefully somebody else will put it out. I remember one critic in a book on all the different versions of A Christmas Carol just trashed it, but I liked it for sentimental reasons.

Here's hoping they all show up eventually.

JamesSmith

ToEhrIsHuman

Second Unit
Real Name
Craig Ehr
I can't believe nobody has mentioned the 'Star Wars Holiday Special' yet.

Edit: oh yeah...this is a thread for specials that people actually want on DVD. :)

Will_C

Second Unit
Real Name
Will
ABC Family airs all those Rankin Bass Christmas Specials on at least one Saturday, sometimes two, in the month of December. If you get that channel, and you have a dvr with a dvd burner in it, you can just make your own dvds like I did. I really wanted the Leprechaun's Christmas Gold and that was the way I made a dvd-r copy of it. As for the Muppet Family Christmas, glad I picked it up years ago. Love watching it on Christmas Eve. Had no idea it was a hot item on eBay.

The Christmas special I'd like to see released on dvd is A Smokey Mountain Christmas with Dolly Parton and Lee Majors. I haven't seen that since I was about 14 years old. A really feel good holiday tv movie.

MattQuack

Agent
Real Name
Matt
I'd like to see The Christmas Toy on DVD....I still need to pick up Will Vinton's Claymation Christmas.

JohnS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Steffens
MST3K Santa Claus (very terrible Mexican film with Satan's demon Pitch battling Santa)

does this count:)

Charles Ellis

Senior HTF Member
Am I the ONLY person who wants the classic 1967 version of Truman Capote's A Christmas Memory starring Geraldine Page on DVD? This is the THIRD time in as many threads on this forum that I have asked about this, and I am shocked that no one even seems to care......

David Stone

Stunt Coordinator

Yes!!! This one is at the top of my list, also. I have it on a very old VHS retail tape "Nelvanamation Four Cosmic Fantasies in One", but it's degraded so badly that I cannot get it to play for a transfer to DVD recorder. :frowning: (The tape also includes "The Devil and Daniel Mouse", "Rome-O and Julie-8", "Please Don't Eat the Planet".)

"Rich Little's Christmas Carol" would have been made this list, but it was finally released on DVD last week. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks