What's new

Universal Vault Series - Amazon.com exclusive DVD-Rs (2 Viewers)

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Douglas Monce
Originally Posted by Holer /forum/thread/296971/universal-vault-series-amazon-com-exclusive-dvd-rs#post_3648672

I'm okay with this DV-R on demand approach, because it's better than nothing, as the man says, but the price point has to come down. That's what we should be campaigning for. I only buy the Warners titles when they have one of their 5 for $55 deals. At 10-11 bucks each, I don't really mind if the quality isn't top notch - I can enjoy the movie for what it is.
I agree that the price should come down, however I haven't paid full price since my first one I bought. I keep getting discount coupons in the mail from Warner.

Doug

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Douglas Monce
Originally Posted by Doug Abbott /forum/thread/296971/universal-vault-series-amazon-com-exclusive-dvd-rs#post_3649336

This idea of releasing movies on DVD-r is nothing more than a rip-off of buyers. They are giving minimum quality and asking for maxium price from the movie buying public. I have bought 2 Tarzan sets from Warner's Archive, plus quite a few Joel Mccrea & Randolph Scotts titles. Most the DVD-rs have arrived in broken and damaged cases with plastic pieces having marked the DVDs. None play without problems on 7 different brands of players. The skip, freeze and display hugh dropouts in the picture like I experieced in the eary dats of Beta & VHS tapes. The qualuty of the product is just terrible andthe 300+ dollars spent on the titles was the biggest waste of money I have ever spent on DVD movies. I could have made better quality recording myself. When I complained to Warner Brothers I received a standard form answer supporting their product saying I was very luckey to be able to purchase these titles at all. I was also told, when I complained that "the DVDs were not as durable as stamped DVDs that, "the DVD-Rs are not suppose to be durable and are not made to last for any entended period of time". THIS PROCESS IS A TOTAL RIP-OFF THE MOVIE BUYING CONSUMER BY STUDIOS WHO DON"T GIVE A DAMM ABOUT CONSUMERS RIGHTS.
I have 5 titles from the Warner Archive and as of yet I've had no damaged cases or discs. Of course I don't doubt that it could happen as I've had plenty of pressed DVDs with damaged cases and discs.

Taiyo Yuden, one of the major manufactures of DVD-R discs clams that their tests show a recorded disc should last over 40 years with a 95% assurance of data stability. Your mileage may vary.

Doug

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Douglas Monce
Originally Posted by Simon Howson /forum/thread/296971/universal-vault-series-amazon-com-exclusive-dvd-rs/30#post_3650589
Well, I'm under 30 but won't buy digital downloads that have copy protection. If I could buy downloads that could then be converted to DVDs I'd do so. But I'm not paying to download a file that may not play in a few years because I don't have the right license key on my computer.
I'd prefer to be able to download a DVD iso that would allow me to burn a limited number of discs.
Doug

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Douglas Monce
Originally Posted by ahollis /forum/thread/296971/universal-vault-series-amazon-com-exclusive-dvd-rs/60#post_3651641
KITTEN WITH A WHIP is a good transfer and is widescreen anamorphic. Sound is also very clear in this Ann-Margret cult film. The color THE BLACK SHIELD OF FALWORTH is vibrant in the outdoor scenes, but the interior shots have a slight blueish tint. The best of the bunch I got was THE LAST REMAKE OF BEAU GESTE. The color was bright and and the transfer was clear. The worse of the bunch was SPAWN OF THE NORTH, but was due to age of the print and no work for the transfer. TELL THEM WILLIE BOY IS HERE is letterboxed anamorphic, but the title sequence is windowboxed due to the credits being placed right next to the edge of the frame. Again good color and transfer. DRAGNET (1954) is presented flat (1.33:1), but IMDB lists it presented in 1.77:1. It does appear that it was composed for 1.33. I guess it could have been shot that way and presented in theatres as Widescreen but I think top and bottom information would have been lost. Anyone know for sure what this was shot in?
On a whole I am very happy with the titles I received and plan to go back to the well again.
Dragnet was advertised as being "in color and widescreen" It was clearly shot soft matte and is clearly composed for a format somewhat less wide than 1.85:1. It seems to have been protected for 1.33:1 perhaps because they wanted to be able to use some of the footage on the TV show which was still on at the time.
Doug

Mark B

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mark
Originally Posted by Douglas Monce /forum/thread/296971/universal-vault-series-amazon-com-exclusive-dvd-rs/60#post_3651660

It IS in the wiring.
Taiyo Yuden, one of the major manufactures of DVD-R discs clams that their tests show a recorded disc should last over 40 years with a 95% assurance of data stability. Your mileage may vary.

Doug
Just exactly how can such a "prediction" be made? I'll believe it in 2038 when I have a 40 year old DVD that still plays, let alone a DVD-R.

Simon Howson

Screenwriter
Originally Posted by Mark B /forum/thread/296971/universal-vault-series-amazon-com-exclusive-dvd-rs/60#post_3651670
Just exactly how can such a "prediction" be made? I'll believe it in 2038 when I have a 40 year old DVD that still plays, let alone a DVD-R.
Probably involves heating the discs for various periods to simulate normal ageing.

AbbyNormal

Agent
Real Name
Jeff Heise
I have purchased a number of the WBArchive titles and with the exception of getting a different film than what was supposed to be on the disc (which their CS department shipped a replacement of quickly and said I could keep the mistaken disc) I really have no complaints. I have many DVD-Rs and +Rs and as long as you don't use the discs as coasters after watching them or let kids toss them around the room and put them back in whatever you store them in, you should have no problem with them.
I have an LG DVD recorder/VCR that was region-free but somehow has reverted back to R1 (think I will replace it with a domestic, reliable R1 unit and get a separate region-free player) that I have used to dub off some OOP print VHS tapes and movies on our DVR hard drive, including TCM and Fox Movie Channel, and if TW cable would just get off its duff and make both of the HD versions of those channels available on our system, then I hope the widescreen versions would finally be anamorphic when they are shown.
Lastly, the WBArchive site specifically states that the discs are made from unrestored masters, and in many cases I have not detected much of difference between these discs and what TCM shows. I only plan on buying discs from them of titles that are very rarely shown on TCM (mostly the silents or early talkies) and I hope that someone there will grow a pair and release a disc of WB cartoons that no one would dare show anymore due to being politically incorrect. I know that many of those 'toons were heavily requested (COAL BLACK, BB NIPS THE NIPS, etc.) when the Looney Tunes box sets were being produced, but since they were sold at places like Costco and Wal Mart, for good reason they could not include them. The WBA website would be the perfect place to sell them and finally satisfy the requests of many collectors. Maybe that could be a way for Disney to finally do a legit release of SONG OF THE SOUTH. . ./img/vbsmilies/htf/biggrin.gif

MarkA

Second Unit
Real Name
Mark Abel
I got Chalk Garden today and put it in my Blu-ray player and the whole thing was windowboxed and not letterboxed. I used the zoom on my TV to make it look right.

ChuckWL

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Chuck
Originally Posted by Jeff Willis /forum/thread/296971/universal-vault-series-amazon-com-exclusive-dvd-rs#post_3648609

Marcel.

Thanks for posting the list! I see one that I've wanted for a long time, "The Brass Bottle", but I don't know about these Universal releases....are these OAR releases? Are the archive stores (WB, Uni) releasing any of their titles in "Pan/Scan" where a WS OAR is a choice in any of these titles?

"Brass Bottle" is a rare archive title where I'd buy it for the $20 price.
I believe this is $15.99 at amazon. Just made a purchase myself.

ChuckWL

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Chuck
Originally Posted by Douglas Monce /forum/thread/296971/universal-vault-series-amazon-com-exclusive-dvd-rs/60#post_3651663
I'd prefer to be able to download a DVD iso that would allow me to burn a limited number of discs.
Doug
This is a great idea!

ChuckWL

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Chuck
Originally Posted by Simon Howson /forum/thread/296971/universal-vault-series-amazon-com-exclusive-dvd-rs/60#post_3651578
The solution to DVD-Rs is simple, back everything up that you buy to ISO images using DVD Decrypter.
Hard discs are now less than $100 per Terabyte. A 1 TB drive can hold about 230 single layer DVD-R images, assuming the entire capacity of the DVD is used (which sadly with Warner Archive discs isn't always the case).
Originally Posted by MarcoBiscotti /forum/thread/296971/universal-vault-series-amazon-com-exclusive-dvd-rs/60#post_3651115
I think it's clear that with the exception of Sony Pictures and boutique labels like Criterion... the DVD format is behind us. Only new releases will ever turn up and the occasional anniversary repackage of major "classics" like GWTTW to coincide with a Blu release. I've come to begrudgingly accept this. It's a shame but the future is moving so fast and before we know it digital downloads and streaming film libraries will be the standard. Blu Ray was born a niche market and will never develop. Home video is an ancient relic.
So I'm willing to accept MOD programs that allow us to own physical product with a few very basic exceptions, beginning with price. They are all way over marked!! A DVD-R by any means is a DVD-R and should not cost more than $10. That's my stance and I will never spend more for a burned disc. Second - I will NEVER but any film that's released with an interlaced transfer! It's simply a matter of properly mastering the discs and I can't enjoy films when viewed from any source that's not progressively flagged. It's idiotic that any studio would do this! Third simply comes down to the quality of the transfer and whether it's an older analog source or newer remastered print/transfer. It has to look better than TV broadcast for me to spend any money on it!
Once the studios adopt these same policies, I will reluctantly jump in. Mourning the death of the commercial DVD format will only leave us with smaller catalog of films in our libraries and there's still way too much to be released. I just hope more care and effort is made to continue doing so with higher quality standards than we're currently seeing, comparable with what we're used to from the 'good old days' when these products were on retail shelves.
Last year it was a 1.4 Billion Dollar market. Its developing quite well, thank you./img/vbsmilies/htf/wink.gif

JeffMc

Supporting Actor
Real Name
jeffmc
Originally Posted
Last year it was a 1.4 Billion Dollar market. Its developing quite well, thank you./img/vbsmilies/htf/wink.gif
Most likely true. Unfortunately that doesn't mean ANYTHING for a lot of the fans who like old classic films (and not just the CITIZEN KANE, GONE WITH THE WIND caliber ones). Blu-Ray is useless for the majority of catalog titles because the majority of that type of film, as we've seen from several studios recently, won't even get a proper DVD release these days and may only be offered on DVD-R, if even that. I'm not really angry about this whole DVD-R development in homevideo anymore, because that's just the reality for these lesser known films today. Unfortunately, it seems that the majority of people on the planet think AVATAR is the greatest movie ever made and it most likely will be the #1 film of all time. The Blu-ray will most likely make millions! Good for them, and that's the type of film that will help blu-ray prosper. For me, I'm only buying DVD-R's from now on as that seems to be the only format the films I'd be interested in are being issued on.

Jeff Willis

Senior HTF Member
Chuck,

Thanks for the "Brass Bottle" price info. I have that one in my Amazon cart but I'd like a review before ordering it. Have you viewed it yet? The main thing I'd like to know is if this archive release is in WS OAR format. Also, I guess the transfer quality info would be great to have before buying it. I'd guess that it's a decent transfer as most archive titles have been that, from what I've read here, regarding the WB titles. I'm guessing that the Uni archive titles would be comparable to WB.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Originally Posted by Jeff Willis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Chuck,
Thanks for the "Brass Bottle" price info. I have that one in my Amazon cart but I'd like a review before ordering it. Have you viewed it yet? The main thing I'd like to know is if this archive release is in WS OAR format. Also, I guess the transfer quality info would be great to have before buying it. I'd guess that it's a decent transfer as most archive titles have been that, from what I've read here, regarding the WB titles. I'm guessing that the Uni archive titles would be comparable to WB.
The BRASS BOTTLE is presented in widescreen OAR and is anamorphic. I found the transfer quality to be very good. The color looks good but does not pop out at you and I did not see any dirt or scratches. The mono sound is also in good shape. So far, THE CHALK GARDEN is the only title that is not anamorphic that I have found. To me that is a big disappointment.
I saw THE BRASS BOTTLE at a kiddie matinee many many years ago and have not seen it since until the other night. I had remembered it being very funny and loved Burl Ives in it, but now Mr. Ives role is a little annoying and is not as funny. Strange what our memories will do. I did enjoy the film again, just not as I did in my youth.

cineMANIAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Luis
I'm mystified as to why Universal won't give A Bronx Tale a real release - it's a big enough title, maybe even A-List IMO... I wonder how Robert De Niro feels being relegated to DVD-R. The Burt Reynolds flick 'Stick" - is that the one where Charles Durning takes a dive off a skyscraper? I always confuse this film with Sharky's Machine though both are similar in tone and plotlines. I hope Death Becomes Her doesn't fall victim to this scheme.

Bob Cashill

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Cashill
A BRONX TALE had a real release, and is still available new or used on Amazon. I'm not sure how Universal acquired it.

Durning is in STICK but I think it's stuntman Dar Robinson (in an acting role) who takes the fall.

ChuckWL

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Chuck
Originally Posted by JeffMc /forum/thread/296971/universal-vault-series-amazon-com-exclusive-dvd-rs/90#post_3652083
Most likely true. Unfortunately that doesn't mean ANYTHING for a lot of the fans who like old classic films (and not just the CITIZEN KANE, GONE WITH THE WIND caliber ones). Blu-Ray is useless for the majority of catalog titles because the majority of that type of film, as we've seen from several studios recently, won't even get a proper DVD release these days and may only be offered on DVD-R, if even that. I'm not really angry about this whole DVD-R development in homevideo anymore, because that's just the reality for these lesser known films today. Unfortunately, it seems that the majority of people on the planet think AVATAR is the greatest movie ever made and it most likely will be the #1 film of all time. The Blu-ray will most likely make millions! Good for them, and that's the type of film that will help blu-ray prosper. For me, I'm only buying DVD-R's from now on as that seems to be the only format the films I'd be interested in are being issued on.
Great post Jeff I agree 100%. I have not seen Avatar yet.

ChuckWL

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Chuck
Originally Posted by Jeff Willis /forum/thread/296971/universal-vault-series-amazon-com-exclusive-dvd-rs/90#post_3652096
Chuck,
Your welcome Jeff. I should be getting in the movie on Saturday. I will let you know what I think.

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Douglas Monce
I just got Dragnet (1954) from Amazon today (I ordered it on Tuesday). The quality of the presentation is very good. Much sharper than my recording from TCM. It is full frame 1.37:1, but it doesn't look as though it was framed for anything like 1.85:1. Not much head room on this one. The color is vibrant and seems accurate. Its not a cleaned up print, but quite presentable.

Having seen this, I would hope that Universal would consider releasing the original Dragnet TV show on their Vault series. They own the original negatives and could produce sets that would be head and shoulders above the PD discs that are out there now.

Doug

Jeff Willis

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by ChuckWL /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Your welcome Jeff. I should be getting in the movie on Saturday. I will let you know what I think.
Thanks!
I also agree with "JeffMC"'s post. Blu-ray isn't interesting to me at all right now. For me, and others out there. it's all about catalog title avalibility and not just what's new or recent film releases. Until/unless I see BR releasing many more classic movies or older TV/DVD sets, I'm not interested in any upgrade to BR. My region-free upconvert Std DVD player does a great job with my std DVD's, at least it's good enough for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks