What's new

Universal prepping Touch of Evil, High Plains Drifter and Double Indemnity (1 Viewer)

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
As both Touch Of Evil and Double Indemnity have been released on BRD in the U. K. by Eureka - both discs are excellent by the way - I assume Universal already have the HD masters fully prepared.

lukejosephchung

Screenwriter
Real Name
Luke J. Chung
Got to see "Touch Of Evil" theatrically in the '90s in the restored version culled together from Orson Welles' directorial notes...it was a revelation...I hope that the new BD coming from this will do justice to what I thought was a wonderful realization of his actual artistic vision for this movie...also stoked about "High Plains Drifter" and "Double Indemnity" being restored by Universal and would love to add all 3 titles to my video library of HD titles!!!

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
I'm interested in all of these, but will wait for reviews. It's Universal, I can't get excited yet.

JoHud

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Hudak
I have the MoC Touch of Evil, but not their Double Indemnity. I'll wait and see if we'll be getting the same transfer for the latter or if Universal will offer a new alternative transfer (for better or worse). Will also be interested in High Plains Drifter.

jsteed

Grip
Real Name
John Myers
mikeyhitchfan said:
Universal has a Digibook of Touch of Evil in France already. Only the one 'final' restored cut is on there.
I own the France Digibook version of Touch of Evil and it actually has all three cuts spread over two discs. The first disc has the restored cut, and the second disc seamlessly branches the other two cuts. Has the exact same special features as the 50th anniversary Edition DVD set that came out in the US. It's region free as well.

Craig Beam

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CraB
I have the Eureka!/Masters of Cinema releases of Touch of Evil and Double Indemnity, and they're both awesome. I can't imagine Universal topping them.

Moe Dickstein

Filmmaker
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
T R Wilkinson
After MoC did Touch in the UK, I'd hoped we might get a Criterion here, but it seems like they are only giving CC the smaller titles unlike Sony who is licensing most everything to everyone

Powell&Pressburger

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jack
I own the Eureka Masters of Cinema Universal releases, and if Universal happens to be working on a new either restoration or remaster of Double Indemnity I would be interested. This is no offense to the Eureka D.I. release since Universal supplied the transfer used, I just felt like yes it was good but I couldn't help but wonder could it be better? I love my Eureka BLUs, but if Universal does it correctly and with good intentions than I would like to see what their US releases will be.

mikeyhitchfan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mike
Originally Posted by jsteed
I own the France Digibook version of Touch of Evil and it actually has all three cuts spread over two discs. The first disc has the restored cut, and the second disc seamlessly branches the other two cuts. Has the exact same special features as the 50th anniversary Edition DVD set that came out in the US. It's region free as well.
Wow, I didn't know that. Amazon's description is wrong then. I have the Eureka version and it's likely the same transfers with the exceptions of the 2 full screen 1.33 versions. Thanks for the update.

kingofthejungle

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
John Heath
I don't think you can beat the MOC release of Touch of Evil. It's what inspired me to go region free. As far as the film itself, I think the original theatrical cut is the ONLY way to see it. The 'restoration' is undone by the inclusion of that super phony rear-projection car ride with Heston and Leigh - it is the antithesis of Welles' brilliance. Not to mention that the ordering of the scenes (with two visually flat, chatty car rides back to back) kills what the film had established in terms of mood and pacing. I understand that the theatrical cut leaves out a few informational tidbits that make the final scene a bit puzzling, but a work of art isn't lesser when it merely suggests rather than fully explains. The puzzle of Quinlan's character is one of the things that makes the original cut so beguiling, and in this way the restoration loses much of the film's mystery. That said- I do think the non-Mancini opening shot, and the confrontation between where Quinlan openly insinuates to Vargas that his wife is a tramp would be worthy extras.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks