What's new

Universal focus on back catalog in 2003 (1 Viewer)

Bob Graham

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bob Graham
"Very hard to find on VHS and I don't believe there was ever a Laserdisc, so a DVD edition is, in my opinion, long over due for this film. It's Don Siegel - one of the few Siegel films not on DVD. And one of his very best - dare I say it: better than Dirty Harry."

CHARLEY VARRICK was released by Universal on laserdisc as a part of a double feature with MADIGAN.

I totally agree with Gordon's assessment of the film (I have the poster in my office and it has one of my all-time favorite taglines: "When he runs out of dumb luck, he always has genius to fall back on") it's one of Siegel's best and is long overdue for a DVD release. Have to say, though there's a lot of great Siegel films that aren't available on DVD (and aren't likely to be released because they're too "obscure"): RIOT IN CELL BLOCK 11, CRIME IN THE STREETS, THE LINE-UP, and most importantly, BABY FACE NELSON.

Jim_K

Senior HTF Member
I agree with Gordon & Bob.
Charley Varrick is an excellent film & is long overdue for a DVD release. Smart Crime/Thriller's like this just don't get made very often these days.
It's depressing that films like this (one of many great films) remain in their vaults while I see some of the crap that does get released.
While I don't think all of their 2003 catalog releases are crap, I do think they're scraping the bottom of the barrel by focusing primarily on the 80's/90's.
A rather disappointing output considering their claim of releasing 115 catalog titles between Jan - June '03. :thumbsdown:

Gordon McMurphy

Senior HTF Member
CHARLEY VARRICK was released by Universal on laserdisc as a part of a double feature with MADIGAN.
Interesting. Good widescreen transfers?
Madigan is on DVD - is the transfer good?
Coogan's Bluff is on DVD from Universal in Britain, and is has an fairly good anamorphic transfer.
Gordy

Steve_Knutzen

Screenwriter
I'm glad they're finally putting out Fletch Lives and most of their re-releases seem to be quality (Although I'm dissapointed in the specs for the new Animal House and I'm still waiting on Weird Science and The Breakfast Club).
I just want to know when we'll see Going Berserk, The People Under The Stairs, and They Live SE.
Somebody there should take a break from working on the Mega-Super-Most Nudity-timate Edition of American Pie to take a look at what's in the vaults.

Gordon McMurphy

Senior HTF Member
Walt, Carpenter has indeed recorded a commentary for Prince Of Darkness - for the Momentum region 2 edition. He is joined on the commentary by Peter Jason. It's a pretty good commentary.
I doubt he would do another commentary for the film, so I guess that you'll either have to wait for Momentum to license the commentary to a US distributor or order the region 2 edition.
Excellent transfer and Dolby stereo sound. :emoji_thumbsup:
Gordy

Gordon McMurphy

Senior HTF Member
Agh, Jon! :D
Ya beat me by ten stinkin' minutes, ya sunuvvagun! ;)
Do you have the They Live region 2? It too is a high-quality, value-for-money DVD. :emoji_thumbsup:
Momentum's, The Changeling, with Medak's commentary is also superb. :emoji_thumbsup:
Gordy

John Hodson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
They Live, Prince of Darkness, Starman (the latter also has a Carpenter commentary with Jeff Bridges) are all excellent R2 releases.

---
So many films, so little time...

Mark_TS

Screenwriter
I cannot believe they botched the chance to reissue BRAZIL anamorphic-they would have sold many thousands instead of just a few hundred.

I would like to see DUNE, either as an SE, or even just a plain 16x9 reissue.
And of course, CHARLEY VARRICK...

as well as new 16x9 editions of:
THE DEER HUNTER
Freidkins SORCERER
etc etc...

Personally, rather than "Schindler's List" which I don't much like, I'd love to see "Sugarland Express", "Duel" and the TV movie "Something Evil" from the Spielberg back catalogue. An improved edition of the undervalued "1941" would be very nice as well.

But the one I'm waiting for is a proper edition of Robert Aldrich's glorious "Ulzana's Raid"; easily one of the ten best westerns ever made and a milestone in the genre for it's unpatronising and complex attitude to the 'Cavalry versus Indians' plotline. Let's get Alan Sharp to record a commentary and include both Aldrich's cut and the Burt Lancaster edit. I want an OAR edition with the original mono soundtrack. Surely not too much to ask...

They Live, Prince of Darkness, Starman (the latter also has a Carpenter commentary with Jeff Bridges) are all excellent R2 releases.
Seconded ! In fact I thought "Prince of Darkness" looked better than it ever has done - an undervalued movie with a good edge of Nigel Kneale about it (even if the great man wasn't happy about the script being credited to Martin Quatermass).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks