Universal fire - Decca material lost?

Discussion in 'Music' started by Steve...O, Sep 20, 2008.

1. Steve...O

Steve...O Producer

Steve
    From the Bing Crosby Internet Museum message board this week:

If this is true, and Universal publically has denied anything was lost despite persistent reports to the contrary, this is a tragic loss of an important piece of American cultural history.

2. MielR

MielR Advanced Member

MielR
    I don't even want to think about what they're not telling the public about what may have been lost. It will be years before we know the full extent of the loss....if ever.

3. Danny Tse

Danny Tse Producer

Just out of curiosity....what is the vault of a record company made of? Given the cultural and monetary value of what's being protected, I'd imagine there's some sophisticated fire protection system build for the vault....right? I sure hope so.

The vault for Hong Kong Universal Music was almost completely destroyed that the footage of the huge fire is regularly shown on American TV in one of those "Most Shocking" reality TV shows.

4. Eric Peterson

Eric Peterson Cinematographer

I recall reading somewhere that the Decca recording weren't owned by Universal, but that they had rented the space to the company who owned them. Does anybody know if this is true?

If that is so, that could give some credibility to Universal saying "We didn't lose anything!"

This is truly sad.