What's new

Universal DVD player (1 Viewer)

NicolasC

Grip
Remember those?!

Well mine's just died and I was wondering what you would recommend. It would have to play both DVD-As and SACDs with a maximum price tag of $300.00.

Thanks in advance,

Nicolas

Brent_S

Second Unit
I don't have one, yet, but IMHO, the Harman/Kardon DVD47 looks like the one to beat. HDMI upconversion, complete bass management for DVD-A and SACD including adjustable xover points...$270 delivered from OneCall.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Oppo 970HD does DVD-A, SACD, upconverts and is only $149. Still waiting for an in-depth review of it from AH though (expected soon). www.oppodigital.com

Then there's the Panasonic S97 also, which I believe is right at your price point.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I thought it was only the 77 that couldn't do hires. I know the S97 does DVD-A for sure, and I thought it did SACD also (I may be wrong there).

Well, if you can push the budget a bit, there is the Denon 1920 at ~$350.

Chris Gerhard

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chris Gerhard

As far as I know, no Panasonic player does SACD. Yes the DVD-S97 does DVD-A but no SACD. The Denon DVD-1920 is a great choice and maybe can be found at a better price now.

Chris

Barry_B_B

Second Unit
Real Name
Barry
Similar to what John said, if you can push the budget a bit there is the Cambridge Audio DVD89 at $350; does all the above plus multi-region NTSC/PAL. Check www.audioadvisor.com

dany

Supporting Actor
Real Name
D
Yamaha C750,have seen them for around 200 bucks. Multi-disc and play just about every disc.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John

Haven't seen any reviews of it yet, but their previous players got very good reviews. Unfortunately my local Cambridge Audio dealer just went out of business, so I can't check the new players out first hand...

FeisalK

Screenwriter
the CA DVD89 and Oppo970HD share the same guts. (to me it looks better tho) Guy at our local CA dealer says the audio from the DVD89 is better than a similarly priced Marantz DV6600

Barry_B_B

Second Unit
Real Name
Barry
I've had the DVD89 for about a month now. Using it with a Samsung 50" DLP and DVI output at 720p, the picture is fantastic. Have to admit I was hooked after reading about the six 12-bit DACs it uses. I don't know how that compares to other players, but against my old Pioneer using the same digital output the difference is quite apparent. I was going to go with the Azur 540D before this model came out, glad I made the change.

Grant B

Senior HTF Member
Anyone know if there are any Megachangers(>=50discs) play DVD-A?
My Sony only does SACDs and it would be nice to get my DVDAs into a changer

Thanks
Grant

dan-0

Stunt Coordinator
I didn't see anything in first post about wanting a multi-disk player??

I know I'll be keeping my 2900 for some time for it's audio capabilities and probably just add an HD player for video.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I thought you were responding to the other guy asking about a changer. The first guy said MAX of $300, and I haven't seen any 2900s going for that price anywhere. I have a 2900 also and I can't see upgrading to HD-DVD or BD for a while.

dany

Supporting Actor
Real Name
D
I'll ask,there doesnt seem to be many changers with DVD-A and SACD,Yamaha C750 and 950. What about with just DVD-A changer,any out there that are any good?

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
I have A Yamaha 6770. Very good for $229. H/K and Kenwood made DVD-A changers a few years ago, but not now. You can still find the Toshiba 6915 universal changer on the net but QC is a concern.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks