What's new

UltraViolet Enjoys Record Week (1 Viewer)

Towergrove

Screenwriter
Real Name
Sarah
Pre CES News starting to roll out. Lots of great information on Ultraviolet here:
UltraViolet topped off a year of major growth with its best week ever.
The week of Christmas saw consumers add more than 2.3 million new movies and TV shows to their UltraViolet libraries, or about four every second during the week, according to Mark Teitell, GM of the Digital Entertainment Content Ecosystem, which manages implementation of the cloud-based digital storage platform.
That capped off a year that saw UltraViolet grow to more than 15 million household accounts with an average of 4.5 users on those accounts. There were more than three times the number of UltraViolet transactions in 2013 compared to 2012.
“It was a really strong year for growth for UltraViolet,” Teitell said. “Television has been growing as a percentage of transactions. We’ve been seeing content owners commit more content to the ecosystem. I think consumers see a price point of these TV shows that’s closer to rental, but they own it.”
TV episodes now account for 3,500 of the 12,200 UltraViolet-enabled titles available, with 10 content companies now signed up and more expected to join,
“I think we will see some new content providers, specifically in the TV space, joining UltraViolet in the new year,” he said. “And there’s a lot of content out there not from Hollywood studios, and that will be important [for UltraViolet] as well.”
In 2013, Best Buy’s CinemaNow, Target’s Target Ticket, Australia’s JB Hi Fi and Canadian theater operator Cineplex Entertainment all began offering UltraViolet, and in 2014 more retailers are expected to join. A total of 13 retailers now offer the service.
The year saw Ireland, Australia, New Zealand, France, Germany, Austria and Switzerland begin offering UltraViolet, while Belgium, The Netherlands and Luxembourg will all go live with the service during the first quarter of 2014.
Also in 2014, DECE members will work toward standardizing bonus features for films and TV shows, allowing content owners to offer more to consumers.
http://homemediamagazine.com/digital-evolution/ultraviolet-enjoys-record-week-32200

Joshua Clinard

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joshua Clinard
That's disapointing. They had accouned that there was 15 million accounts in Sept. If they haven't even added one million since then, maybe UV has hit a ceiling. I had hoped they would have had 20 million accounts by now.

Towergrove

Screenwriter
Real Name
Sarah
Joshua Clinard said:
That's disapointing. They had accouned that there was 15 million accounts in Sept. If they haven't even added one million since then, maybe UV has hit a ceiling. I had hoped they would have had 20 million accounts by now.
They indicated "more than" 15 million. I would hope to have more solid numbers released during CES. Anything above 20 million is good and means they have left early adopter stage.

Joshua Clinard

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joshua Clinard
One interesting tidbit I overlooked before is that they said the average users per account is 4.5. That could mean that there are actually around 80 million people with a retailer account tied to the service. That number is incredible, if you think about it.

Ejanss

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
EricJ
So....guess a lot of people got iPads for Christmas, then, and wanted to try them out?

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Wait, I thought this WASN'T a confusing process?From the other thread:
Joshua Clinard said:
That never was true. Sometimes a disc sold in a store will have inserts that send the user to it's own website to redeem the title, but it isn't neccesary to use that retailer to redeem the title. In fact, most inserts that I have seen links to the studio's custom website, which let's users choose their retailer. For example, redeemmovies.com lionsgate's redemption site, links to Vudu, CinemaNow, TargetTicket, and Flixster. The wikipeida page used to state that the user had to register at each studio website to redeem the title. That hasn't been true since July of 2012, so a few weeks ago, I changed it to reflect that. The next day, it was changed to what you see now. Ihave actually been working on the history section and the retailer chart today. I will fix the other part later.

Joshua Clinard

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joshua Clinard
I's not to me, and probably most internet savvy people. I learned about vudu before I even knew about UltraViolet, so it was easy since they already had a redemption page. But if your first exposure to UltraViolet is from a code sheet, and it takes you to a studio site, and not all of them are created equal, then it may be confusing.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks