What's new

Two Towers - Army Of Darkness - same movie? (1 Viewer)

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
When I was watching The Two Towers at the end when Theoden was giving his men the pep talk before the battle, as the Uruk-Hai were marching, all I could think of was the end of "Army Of Darkness" when Ash fights the same battle. I turned and said to my brother Peter "Maybe we can hold them off! ...And maybe I'm a Chinese jet pilot".

Laughter followed.

The marching hordes of Uruk-Hai looked just like the deadites from AoD.

I just couldn't get that scene from Army Of Darkness out of my mind for the whole sacking. Even when the Riders of Rohan came in, it was like when Henry The Red came and helped Bruce and his army against the Deadite scourge.

All we needed was Aragorn to turn to Eowyn and say "Give Me Some Sugar Baby".

Richard Kim

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, the Helm's Deep Battle did remind me alot of the final battle in Army of Darkness.
Also, in FOTR, when the Fellowship was formed in the council in Rivendell, was also reminiscent of AoD.("You have my sword", "You have my bow", "and my axe!") :D

Quentin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Quentin H
That's like thinking that all siege movies are alike - AoD, Assault on Precinct 13, Two Towers, The Alamo...etc.

I guess they will have qualities in common, but I for one wasn't thinking anything but, "Holy Cow" when I watched Helm's Deep.

Todd_B

Second Unit
This is great!! I'm not alone.
I can now officially tell my s/o that I am not the only 'freak' in the world.
:D
Thanks guys!
Todd B

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
Yes, I also saw (in my mind anyway) a connection, in fact..When the Uruk-Hai were running away at the end of the battle
I turned to my friend and said "Let's get the hell out of here!!"
:)

Artur Meinild

Screenwriter
I didn't notice any clear AOD references, but keep in mind what David just said: The settings are very much alike, and there isn't a whole lot of things you can do about that. You know, the way people defended a castle and the phrases used in the middle ages ("You have my sword") are pretty much set from historic sources, so of course there will be similarities... Besides, the story of LOTR are much older than AOD, so if there are similar story lines (riders coming to help), it's much more likely that AOD has it from LOTR.
IF there are in fact some clear references, I'm pretty sure that PJ has watched AOD, and that all references are totally deliberate... We'll just have to wait for the DVD commentary to see if he mentions it... :)

Richard Kim

Senior HTF Member
I just found another Army of Darkness reference in TTT. When Saruman shields Wormtongue's candle from the explosive powder used in Helm's Deep it was reminiscent of the Ash creating gunpowder scene in AoD. :D

Dennis Pagoulatos

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Dennis
I didn't think AoD at all...but during FOTR during the Balrog sequence, when Gandalf says "RUN!!" I started chuckling because I immediately thought of "RUNN AWAAYYY!!" from Holy Grail. :D

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
I didn't notice any clear AOD references, but keep in mind what David just said: The settings are very much alike, and there isn't a whole lot of things you can do about that.
I can't speak for anyone else but I personally wasn't suggesting that there are any intentional references by Peter Jackson to Sam the Man's film, I just see the similarities because of #1 "Medieval Siege" film plot necessities...a huge army storming a castle isn't exactly a "new" idea.
and #2 the influence that LOTR has had on fantasy story telling over the years.

I'm with Dennis, I thought of Monty Python instead of Army Darkness. As we were walking out of the theater, I told my dad that all that was really needed to defend Helm's Deep was two rude Frenchman launching livestock...

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
I just found another Army of Darkness reference in TTT. When Saruman shields Wormtongue's candle from the explosive powder used in Helm's Deep it was reminiscent of the Ash creating gunpowder scene in AoD.
Me, too!
I saw TTT again this weekend with my brother Peter and the similarities were even more striking. The aforementioned gunpowder scene was just like in AoD. Also, the scene when Aragorn, Gimli, and Legolas are getting ready for the battle, at a certain pause I looked over at Peter and said "Groovy".
I'll never be able to watch TTT without thinking about AoD. Funny, funny stuff.
And it's not just "all seige movies". Both movies feature a small stalwart small band of humans defending a castle and it's inhabitants against hordes of unhuman (or formerly human in the case of AoD) monsters. Both have a last minute ride-in/rescue/day-saving by previously estranged allied force. Both feature gunpowder and explosions in a midieval(sp?) setting. They have similar pacing and shots. It's funny.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks