What's new

Twilight Zone to be one of Images first HD DVD/Bd releases (1 Viewer)

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
so the hope here is that image along with CBS will deliver, thats what is on the side of the definitive boxes that i had, the treks are great, this is the only other tv series i would be willing to go blu for, trek being the first, can't wait,

JediFonger

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
YiFeng You
does the Comcast buying out NBC have anything to do w/this... i dunno why but i'm confusing CBS w/NBC or somn...

anyways, yes you are correct. TZ should be amazing as it was 'film'.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
Great news about The Twilight Zone! I only have a few of the TZ episodes on VHS. I never got around to the DVD sets. Very interested to see these releases!

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
was thinking about this considering that Star Trek Season three is out next week, i think my biggest concern would be these six ep (borrowed from wiki) Episode notesBy November 1960, The Twilight Zone's second season had already broadcast five episodes and finished filming sixteen. However, at a cost of about $65,000 per episode, the show was exceeding its budget. As a result, six consecutive episodes were videotaped, eventually transferred to 16-millimeter film for future syndicated rebroadcasts. Total savings on editing and cinematography costs amounted to only about $30,000 for all six entries—not enough to justify the loss of depth of visual perspective, which made the shows look like stagebound live TV dramas, or even soap operas. The experiment was therefore deemed a failure and never attempted again. Even though the six shows were recorded in a row, through November and into mid-December, their broadcast dates were out of order and varied widely, with this, the fourth one, shown on December 23, 1960 as episode 11. The first, "The Lateness of the Hour", was seen on December 2, 1960 as episode 8; The second, "Static" was shown on March 10, 1961 as episode 20; the third, "The Whole Truth", appeared on January 20, 1961 as episode 14; the fifth, "Twenty Two" was seen on February 10, 1961 as episode 17; and the last one, "Long Distance Call" was transmitted on March 31, 1961 as episode 22. "The Night of The Meek" is also notable for being the only one of the six videotaped shows whose syndication master is drawn from a 16mm Kinescope instead of the original tape (which does exist). now some have [COLOR= #303030]mentioned[/COLOR] the continued Treks Next Gen and so on, well this would be working with the video tape on some of these, this is where i think CBS Digital could play the biggest part.

RickER

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Rick
The video taped episodes will NEVER look great. But, CBS could take a lesson from the BBC Restoration Team that works on the old Dr. Who episodes. Those have never looked so good. They look better than they did on original broadcast, from what i hear. They sure look better than any VHS, or even PBS broadcast i ever saw.
Drop outs are fixed, and other video noise is repaired or lessened.
Its never going to be HD, but those video episodes can look better than they do now.

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
fingers crossed, that this will work out, but even with the dvd sets as good as they are ther is a blurryness that troubles thes specific ones when upconverted, and i know that the ones from ilm elements can be properly done, my question is, is it possible to work the same kind of magic with the original video tape masters, haven't seen the Dr. Who's but do hear good things.

I do wish that they can add back in the final "Merry Christmas" from Serling on the Night of the Meek episode. And I don't know why, but the end credits on "Eye of the Beholder" (the version with that title) look better on the old Treasures vhs than they do on the Definitive dvds. Several first season episodes had to have their opening titles recreated after the negatives were cut to include Season 2 openings when they were rerun that summer. There are a couple that are incorrect....the "eye" opening was used on only a few of the final season one episodes. The versions on dvd are mostly correct, but on a couple of episodes they use the standard opening.

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
Image Entertainment said it may have to file for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection after defaulting on a $4m payment on a senior secured note that was due on December 14. “The company does not currently have the funds, or access the funds, necessary to repay all of its outstanding obligations to the Holder, Wachovia, Arvato and its other creditors,” said Image Entertainment in a statement. Image also said it was “exploring strategic alternatives”. This is bad news for Blu-ray enthusiasts, especially after reports had surfaced that Image was preparing the classic TV series 'The Twilight Zone' for release on Blu-ray (see blu-ray.com November 30). so with that, the question is CBS willing to go this alone and release this?

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
It's disappointing to hear about Image. I hope they are able to recover and get Twilight Zone out on Blu ray. I only have a VHS set of a few episodes. So I would love to pick the series up on blu ray!!!

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
was on digitalbits and image is still releasing material, so maybe there is still hope of it financialy surviving, which would still give this a good shot.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
Originally Posted by dana martin

was on digitalbits and image is still releasing material, so maybe there is still hope of it financialy surviving, which would still give this a good shot.
I hope so.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
I'm about to take the plunge and get the entire series. I have wanted this series for so long, I just can't wait anymore. Although I would love TZ in HD, looks like standard dvd for me!!!

Hollywoodaholic

Edge of Glory?
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
You won't be disappointed. And if you play on a PS3 or an upscaling BD player, the TZ Definitive Edition images are practically HD already. I really don't think the BD would have made much difference on an already excellent rendition, especially with upscaling. Now, The Outer Limits, that original series truly needs an upgrade.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
I've been holding out because I heard the rumors of the BD version, and now I'm on the fence because Image may not even be around to release it!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks