What's new

TV Geometry problems (1 Viewer)

Leon Van Dongen

Auditioning
Hi guys, wondering if you could help! :)
I have a 51cm LG Flatscreen TV, about 5 months old. The problem is that the top half of the screen is sometimes 'bent' towards the left..say for instance there is a vertical line on the screen, instead of being straight up and down it looks like this.
|
instead of
|
|
Not very clear, I know :)
I brought it into a repair shop under warrenty and they said there are no adjustments for it and they wouldn't fix it
frown.gif
Know, I've been playing around with it lately and I've noticed the problem is really bad if the screen is even relativly bright. If I turn the brightness/contrast down to about 50% most of the 'bending' goes away but is still slightly noticeable. I have noticed that in movies when fading to different scenes it corrects itself dramatically when fading out, ie when the screen isn't as bright. Any ideas on how to fix this permemently, as I would like to have my screen a touch brighter?
Thanks
------------------

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I was watching a segment on the AVIA disc where they were explaining about setting contrast levels using a screen pattern. On the pattern they have a vertical line that is used to test the power supply. As you turn up the contrast level, there is a corresponding increase in load on the power supply. The line would start to bend as the power supply reached it's limit. The guys describing this, also mentioned that some TV power supplies are too weak and that the line would start to bend almost immediately when the contrast was increased. What you are describing with your set seems to have similarities with what they were describing. I wish I could give you a more concrete answer but since I am not an expert I may be giving you a bum steer. Hopefully you will get further input. If it is a weak power supply I do not think that there is going to be much that you can do about it.
Was it doing this when you first got the set? If it wasn't then I would say that you are getting the bum's rush from the service people because something would definitely have to be going wrong in the set.
------------------
[Edited last by Edwin-S on August 06, 2001 at 01:59 AM]

Allan Jayne

Senior HTF Member
The previous post appears to be the correct explanation of the problem which is not what you want to hear.
But an aside -- You will probably have no problems with uneven screen wear ("screen burn") if you keep the contrast well under 50%, that is you can watch all the programs you want with black letterbox bars and not worry about damaging the set.
Other video hints: http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm

ThomasL

Supporting Actor
Leon, get a hold of the Avia dvd and calibrate your contrast (white level) and brightness (black level). I see the same affect on one of my tvs when the contrast is high. It is worst when the image on the tv is intensely bright. YOu will most likely have to find a compromise setting where the bending of the line is acceptable and white level is still high enough for your tastes. I suspect you'll need to get used to watching at a lower contrast setting.
hope this helps,
--tom

Leon Van Dongen

Auditioning
Thanks for the prompt responses guys! Really appreciated!
My fears are realised then, but I find it not very good of LG to release a TV that can't go very bright!
frown.gif
Oh well, time for some calibration!
Thanks a real lot again!!
------------------

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RobertTheBob
Recent bookmarks
SVS Outlet Sale