What's new

Trouble with Progressive Scan on my GameCube (1 Viewer)

DustinDaniels

Auditioning
Well I have a Sony KV-36XBR450 HDTV with progressive scan and I am using the Gamecube component cables and when I switch to progressive scan on any gamecube game the screen seems blurry (muted)...for some reason it is more clear on the interlaced option. Somebody suggested that since my T.V. has a line doublier that when you switch it to progressive scan on the game that it's messing it up and that my line doublier is better than the progressive scan software on the game disc....Please help me with this problem..........Thanks...

Dustin

Camp

Senior HTF Member
I'm fairly certain the XBR450's line doubler is bypassed in progressive mode. Can you exchange the component cables?

JasonRH

Second Unit
Dustin,
I have read in several posts on people using progressive scan output vs. interlaced output (via DVD) on the XBR's and most of them found the progressive picture (which bypasses the DRC) to be softer and less sharp than the equivalent interlaced image that is upconverted via the Sony DRC. That may be a normal effect and you, too, may just prefer the upconverted interlaced picture. Cables may be working fine.:)

Dustin,
You should probably readjust the sharpness for the progressive signal. Pick one setting and adjust that for best picture quality of the cube. Usually I have to adjust the picture, brightness, and sharpness for game systems. The sharpness probably needs to be bumped up a little for the progressive signal. I found that switching between interlaced and progressive on my dvd player required different levels of sharpness. The progressive feed required more before excessive noise.
Rogue Leader looks amazing in 480p and so does Halo. The only problem is deciding which one to play.:D

JasonRH

Second Unit
"Also, Dustin there is a known problem from Sony with the progrssive input- for at least the XBR400 series"

Ken, that's interesting. Could you elaborate on this a bit? I've never heard of a "problem" with progressive inputs on the XBR series. I'm thinking of getting another one (my first had bad color purity problems) and would like to know more about this before I buy one.

Thanks a lot.

JasonRH

Second Unit
Thanks Ken,

Let us know how the GC components work out. You getting the Nintendo cables or a generic brand?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks