What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Trouble Installin some Patches and Programs?? (1 Viewer)

Gerald LaFrance

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Gerald LaFrance
Hi, I just bought a new computer with older but new Parts. I am Having trouble with Installing Power DVD 6.0 from a DL'd Install file. I get the following Error Message at 95% of install:

An Error Occurred while launching the Setup. (0x80040702)

I have tried Google and Microsoft websites, Google only talks about DDL Errors, Which I dont think I am having and Microsoft doesnt even have the above error message listed in their database??

I get the same error message when I install the Patch for GTR2??

Sys SPecs:

Intel PIV 3.8ghz CPU
Asus P5n32-E SLI Mobo
Audigy 2 ZS Sound card
BFG Geforce 7950 GT w/94.24 drivers and Stereo drivers (need these for 3d)

This install of windows is a Fresh install, I just reinstalled some files and Settings from a Files and settings backup.. I also have XP SP2 installed.
If you need more info let mne know??

THNX
Gerald

Ken Chan

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken
The error does seem to relate to a missing DLL, a library of shared code these installers expect that you have previously installed. Since you have a fresh install, you may be missing a common, but not required, piece of Windows. DirectX? Media Player? C runtime?

Did the error message say what was missing?

Gerald LaFrance

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Gerald LaFrance
No it did not say what was missing just this :

An Error Occured while Launching Setup 0x80040702

any idea?? as this has happened when installing Power DVD from the DL'd file. I was able to install it on another computer just not this computer. I also had the same error when I installed the patch for GTR2??

Gerald LaFrance

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Gerald LaFrance
well I thought I was knowledgable about Editting the Registry but I just can't seem to get that right??

I went to that link and ran regedit and pointed to the entry in the registry and it was already there, but I could not change the Type or is that already set as it did say REG_SZ?? But I thought I had to change that or add an entry for type?? I was able to add entries under Data.

Ken Chan

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken
Right-click the Installer folder, and select "New", then "String Value" (which is what a REG_SZ is). Set the name to Logging (if necessary, you can right-click to Rename it). Then right-click, select "Modify" and set the Value data to "v" for Verbose.

Then as the Knowledge Base article describes, look for a file that starts with "Msi" in your %temp% directory after the install fails.

Gerald LaFrance

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Gerald LaFrance
OK THNX for that. But I think I deleted an important entry in there. Can you tell me how many entries you have in or shaw a pic of it:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESoftwarePoliciesMicrosoftWin dowsInstaller

right now I have 2 entries 1 original and the one I entered. B4 I deleted there was another entry there but I deleted it and system Restore is not Restoring that entry?? I knew I should of written it down??

I aqlso looked in the Temp Folder and it does Not show up there, I looked for a MSI "*".LOG file but none to be found??

Ken Chan

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken
I have the (Default) entry, which is REG_SZ, and (value not set)

There's also EnableAdminTSRemote REG_DWORD 1

After running the install, you can try searching the whole drive for "msi*.log". If you can't find it, maybe the registry entry is wrong.

Gerald LaFrance

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Gerald LaFrance
well I believe I have the registry setup correct here is a screenshot of the default and modified registry:

If that is correct I am Not getting any reports inb the log file?? There is some reports there but nothing about power DVD??

Ken Chan

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken
"Logging" should have a capital L -- not sure if that makes a difference. The log should have date and time which should make it pretty obvious whether it is for the install you just attempted.

Gerald LaFrance

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Gerald LaFrance
I changes it to a capital L but did not seem to matter?? I have a MSIxxx.LOG file but no mention of cyberlink/PowerDVD??

Are those entries correct ??

Ken Chan

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken
Hard to tell from here. You said that you did install successfully on another computer. You can uninstall everything on that computer, then turn on logging and reinstall. Then compare what got generated on the successful install with what failed.

Gerald LaFrance

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Gerald LaFrance
OK but I am NOT getting a Report on this Computer??

I also contacted Cyberlink and they say that it is an Hardware Conflict or Install Shield is Corrupt?? I did Install Install Shield 11 so I doubt it is that.

It is Probally just a hardware Software Conflict. But the Really Strange thing is that it does Stop installing at 95% but yet the Program Works Fine even Patched??

I just wanted to get this resolved for Future installations or Patching?? To get GTR2 Patch I just installed on another Computer and Patched it then copied the Folder to this Computer that is my Workaround for now.

I will try your suggestion maybe I didn't install the Registry edit Properly. Thank You for all your Help so Far ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sitcomguy
Recent bookmarks