What's new

Treatment options for blackheads? (1 Viewer)

David Ely

Supporting Actor
I've had a problem with blackheads for quite a few years now. I get them on my nose and cheeks. I was wondering if anyone else has had a problem with blackheads, and if there's a good solution for them.

Getting rid of the actual blackheads doesn't seem to be much of a problem. Facial strips like the ones by Biore seem to work great. The biggest problem seems to be repairing the skin where they appear.

I'll be making an appointment to see a dermatologist later this week, but I'm interested to hear what others may have to say.

All comments are GREATLY appreciated.

Mark Frank

Stunt Coordinator
Don't have anything useful to add, but am definitely interested in what the dermatologist says. Make sure to let us know.

Andrew V

Stunt Coordinator
I would recommend exfoliating with a Apricot Facial scrub. I use it in the shower and it seems to do the trick.

NickSo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick So
Yeah, the key to blackheads is EXFOLIATE!

I recommend the St. Ive's Apricot Facial Scrub AndrewV mentioned in the above post. It has tiny peices of grit that rub away at your skin removing dead skin cells and whatnot.

The blackheads are present when dead skin cells and whatnot go into the pores. When exposed to air they turn dark. if you exfoliate, the dead skin cells are removed and cannot collect into the pores.

Though i do this, it doesnt get rid of ALL blackheads, but it does reduce them. The ones on the nose are a bitch to get rid of...

I tried the biore strips, it doesnt really work well for me...

Try the exfoliate :)

Yee-Ming

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Yee Ming Lim
personally I feel the St Ives scrub one is too rough, i.e. the bits of apricot kernel are a bit too large. I prefer the one from Freemans, which feels more like a fine sand.

gosh, I can't believe I just contributed to a discussion of toiletries... :b

but seriously, I used to use the scrub daily (during the evening shower, in the mornings I used a facial soap instead). if anything, although the skin survived I think it reacted by producing even more oil. now that I've cut back it's a bit better.

David Ely

Supporting Actor
Thanks for the responses!

I saw the doctor today and he gave we a cream called Stieva-A. It's apparently a strong vitamin A cream. Do to the natural skin cycle, it can take 6 - 8 weeks before any major difference is seen. I'll keep you guys updated.

Mark Brewer

Stunt Coordinator
After exfoiliating if you have a surge of whiteheads try using an antibacterial cream lightly at night.

Todd K

Second Unit
Yes, what should be the regimen for exfoliation? I picked up the St. Ives Studd today.

It doesn't say anything about when do do it in the wash cycle, or how often on the bottle.

SHould I wash then exfoliate? Or exfoliate first and not wash? I would think doing both would be harsh on the face.

And if you do it in the shower, do you do it with a washcloth, or the hands?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks