What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

TRANSFORMERS arrives on Earth in spectacular DVD and HD DVD sets (1 Viewer)

Jari K

Senior HTF Member

No, it´s not "chopped liver" and I´m not a huge fan of the film, but this is not the way of showing the "power of HD DVD" by Paramount.. In fact, they should show that the "capacity doesn´t matter" and all that. At least they should include the lossless audio on these type of huge, mega-releases, since the audio is a big part of any movie, let alone modern blockbuster like this one.

I´m officially disappointed, even when the track record of Paramount hasn´t been all that great in the past (with audio).

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

ReggieW

Screenwriter
Hopefully Shane Buettner (who's meeting with Alan Bell of Paramount) or Dave Vaughn will get some answers from Paramount later today. We are only speculating here, but it appears to be more a studio policy than a space issue. I don't think Paramount's used lossless audio very much (if at all) for their titles.

While disappointing, if this soundtrack sounds as good as the DD+ track on King Kong, then I don't think many will be disappointed.

I really do hope Paramount/Dreamworks outlines some sort of startegy for HD-DVD. They need to:

-Make lossless audio standard
-begin releasing more titles

It's time for them to show some bite with their exclusivity deal.

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
Proving a point about the power of HD DVD is Toshiba's job; Paramount's interest is moving software, not making a point about the hardware's capability.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I'm still getting up to speed as I prepare to add an HD player and new processor, so I don't know all the technical stuff like you guys do about the audio. But doesn't the addition of TrueHD on the Star Trek TOS Remastered Season One set an indication that they do support loss-less audio? Or have I got the audio names wrong?

Dave Mack

Senior HTF Member
Star Trek:TOS will have True:HD.

A 40 year old TV show will get True:HD and Transformers will not.

:frowning:

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
It may be a technical limitation, or it may be studio policy. Paramount may believe that whiz-bang "extras" are what sells, not topnotch audio. People on here may grumble about it, but if the title sells well, they won't be motivated to change.

Averry

Second Unit
Real Name
Andrew
I'm a little surprised at the October release.

But it sounds cool.

I'm not even sure if I can do the Hi-Def audio options yet, and I definately can't with my current Xbox and Receiver.

That means I have to buy a new receiver regardless. I HAVE 5.1 Most people don't, and I can't even access HI Def sound yet.

Think about all the people that dont' even know there IS a difference. Except perhaps early enthusiasts.

ppltd

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Eisenmann
Sorry, but while TrueHD would be a plus, the DD+ tracks have been amazing up to this point. Why does it seem the most vocal complaints about the lack of lossless are from BD advocates? Sounds like sour grapes.:P

ppltd

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Eisenmann
That is true. And it most likely will sell well (for an HD disk).

Averry

Second Unit
Real Name
Andrew
Quite frankly though, as this is the earliest most announcement of the existance of the disc, I'd be surprised if something, if not the audio was changed.

Disturbia has DD+ and DTS ES.

I didn't see DTS mentioned.

Dave Mack

Senior HTF Member

Thomas, it's not sour grapes at all from me. It's annoyance.
I went format neutral last week, buying ANOTHER player and a main reason was Paramount. Now I see that with this release (and DEFINITELY "Blades Of Glory") they are giving an inferior audio option.
"Blades" on BD had a PCM track. "Transformers" might have had as well.

So I'm rightfully annoyed. Spend $200 more so I can watch the same movie with lower quality audio... grrr....

I certainly didn't finally get HDdvd to step down a notch in quality. This is why I was BD before. Better audio on many titles. The majority had lossless, pcm etc...

ppltd

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Eisenmann
Dave, the comment certainly was not pointed towards you, and like you, I would love to see this release with TrueHD. It still could have it, and the features have not yet been finalized. But there are a few who just have to chime in with a negative comment on HD DVD no matter what.

By the way, welcome to the neutral zone.

It continually amazes me that the same posters don't seem to see the same problem with the FOX releases. (DTS HDMA is currently useless as a lossless track, and only has a core eqaul to DD+). And still no announcements of any hardware supporting it.

Averry

Second Unit
Real Name
Andrew
Can somebody explain to me, what the difference is really?

I mean, why is it a big deal, is it principle?

What kind of money do you have to drop just to notice the difference?

Dave Mack

Senior HTF Member

Agreed. AVS is like feeding time at the zoo today.

I'm just a little disappointed.

If it is a disc space issue, (very possible since the upcoming HDdvd of "Top Gun" DOES have a True:HD track, then it would appear that much of what the diehard BD crowd says about discspace is true.

And I just think it's very funny that Star Trek: TOS, a 40 year old TV series that originally had MONO sound will get a True:Hd track yet the biggest film of the year with a modern surround audio track won't.

This all doesn't bode well for the future. Will "Titanic" get the shaft too...?

:)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Between the above post and Brett's implied comments, let's not go there in in this thread. Thank you.

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Douglas Monce

Given that the extras are on a second disc, and titles that were as long or longer like Batman Begins have true HD, I don't think it was a space or bandwith issue. More likely a policy issue as Paramount has NEVER released a title with lossless audio as far as I know.

doug

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Douglas Monce

I don't think I would call DD+ "lousy". Its not lossless, but its also not garbage.

Doug

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Josh.1983
Recent bookmarks