What's new

Trailers only DVD (1 Viewer)

Nathan McMahan

Stunt Coordinator
I could've sworn I something recently (I thought it was a subscription option for Widescreen Review)on a DVD that had 65 trailers on it? Am I smoking some bad crack here or just a severe case of wishful thinking? Are there any places out there that offer multiple trailers on DVD?

Mitch Stevens

Supporting Actor
There is a site called "Widescrenreview.com" where they review movies that are in Widescreen on professional high-end equipment. Anyway, they released a DVD called "Ultimate DTS Widescreen DVD Movie Guide" in which it has 18 movie trailers in DTS 5.1 sound. They sell this DVD on their website for $4.95.

I hope this helped.

Mike_Stuewe

Stunt Coordinator
Does anyone know which 18 movie trailers are on it and what the quality of the disc is?

For 5 bucks that could be a bang up show off disc.

Joseph Bolus

Senior HTF Member
See ...
I don't understand why these things aren't produced quarterly by the big studios and then given away on the counters of places like Best Buy and Suncoast as promotion for their upcoming catalog titles and new releases.
DVD is so huge now (30 million dedicated players in use in this country alone, plus another 30 million Playstation II consoles out there) that there are millions of households who really have no idea what's upcoming from the big studios. This is especially true for the catalog titles which could actually cost more to release than current offerings.
Why not provide some free promotion for these titles in this fashion?

Eric Huffstutler

Screenwriter
Real Name
Eric Huffstutler
Joseph,

GREAT IDEA!!! Too bad that many studios won't or can't put out a decent trailer until most of the movie is finished (current theatrical releases).

I can see where it would be benificial and possible for the DVD world though but that's why there are places to download trailers as the movie is out (plan ahead) such as Apple's Quicktime Trailer website. Then just convert to VCD or burn straight on your own CD's to watch on either the player or PC. The format is small but better than nothing!

I have seen homemade discs for sale loaded with trailers but most likely illegal. Even though trailers have "different" rights than the actual movie and in years past were public domain of sorts, I haven't seen any official discs out with "new" titles.

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member
Joseph,
I also pushed for this starting back in 1999! I would even pay for a good collection of Anamorphic 5.1 trailers. Heck, most studios could put out an excellent collection TODAY by simply taking the anamorphic 5.1 trailers included on already released discs and compiling them into a single promo disc.
Look how the FOX demo disc #1 became a highly sought-after disc. I think they are REALLY missing the boat by not putting some attention in this direction. They would excite HTF-type geekers with decent quality anamorphic 5.1 trailers, and would hook the average joes by putting on ads for new DVD releases and given them away for free.
Seems like a no-brainer. Too bad the marketing people seem to be so out of touch with the ideas that will actually work!
-Vince

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
If you have a CD burner in your computer, it's easy to make the equivilant thing. Just take the "Large" versions of the trailers from Apple.Com and convert them to SVCD format in TMPGEnc and burn them using Nero. I do this for movie parties. Works like a charm.

Joseph Bolus

Senior HTF Member
If you have a CD burner in your computer, it's easy to make the equivalent thing. Just take the "Large" versions of the trailers from "Apple.com" and convert them to SVCD format in TMPGEnc and burn them using Nero.
Two things:

1. I was referring to catalog DVD releases and current titles. It's typically difficult to find quality trailers for upcoming DVD catalog releases at places like apple.com.

2. It would be more exciting viewing trailers optimized for the DVD format. (In other words, anamorphic video and DD 5.1 audio, where applicable, with "coming to DVD" release dates.)

Back in the heyday of VHS, there were many trailer tapes that could be purchased for very little money (and some were even given away free in conjunction with magazines like Entertainment Weekly.) I think the DVD format is big enough RIGHT NOW to support promotions of this nature.

Eric Huffstutler

Screenwriter
Real Name
Eric Huffstutler
Joseph,

All sounds good but then again, various studio moguls and producers still need a little convincing that the DVD format is the one of choice citing (I think Disney, could have been Warner) who said VHS is still the "family" media format?

Anyway, now that DVD is mainstream, I am sure the trailers will be P&S if the average audience was to pick it up for free or places like Wal-Mart won't carry it

CamiloCamacho

Stunt Coordinator
It would be more exciting viewing trailers optimized for the DVD format. (In other words, anamorphic video and DD 5.1 audio, where applicable, with "coming to DVD" release dates.)
You can make this trailers anamorphic. Use TMPGEnc to convert the mov, select 16:9 (or 2:11 if the trailer is 2.35) as source and 16:9 as destiny, using VCD NTSC template, and setup your DVD with a 4:3 TV, if you have a 16:9 TV you get an Anamorphic video!!. (If you have 4:3 TV, the only way you can get Anamorphic video is using a DVD Burner)

Tom J. Davis

Second Unit
I've burned several trailers to svcd using the method described above and played them back. The quality is ok at best. Stereo sound and better than vhs quality, but a far cry from dvd.

Malcolm Cleugh

Second Unit
Columbia in the UK produce a trailer DVD each year reviewing their titles and those they distributed on behalf of Universal. It comes out late each year (or has in 1999, 2000 and 2001) and is marketed as a review of the year, containing around 30 trailers and a couple of other promo features (one was of the extras on MIB).

This was given away free inside a number of their titles at the end of each year (1999 was in Mask of Zorro, 2000 was in Joan of Arc - The Messenger). However 2001 only seems to have been posted to you if you are on Columbia's mailing list.

As other above say I can't see why this is not done by other studios as a free promo.

Also in the UK a number of the DVD magazines have free cover mounted disks with promos or trailers. However many are only VCD rather than DVD (probably as cheaper and studios are happy to give away stuff as people will want to upgrade to the DVD).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RobertTheBob
Recent bookmarks
SVS Outlet Sale