What's new

Toyota Camry exhaust -- design flaw or feature? (1 Viewer)

Brian Perry

Senior HTF Member
On the previous generation Camry, the exhaust pipe connected to the muffler hangs down more than any other car on the road. When you're behind one it's very noticeable and looks as though it would scrape the ground on anything that's taller than a few inches. I always wondered why an otherwise soild car would have such a glaring aesthetic flaw as well as a possible repair issue.

Now, however, I'm beginning to think it's intentional, because the new Camrys have the same "problem." Does anyone know why Toyota didn't have the exhaust contour the bottom of the car (out of sight) like just about every other car out there?

Danny Tse

Senior HTF Member
As an owner of a 2001 Camry, I've always wondered about that. It's just plain butt-ugly! I also wonder if that has anything to do with the "mystery clunking noise" from the rear of the car when accelertaing from a standing start, which is also reported by many Camry owners.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I never noticed that with the newer Camrys. For what it's worth, the exhaust system on old '93 Camry V6 XLE is still the original and shows no signs of needing replaced. I sold the car to a neighbor a year ago. Ten years for an exhaust system!

Danny Tse

Senior HTF Member
Scott,

I am not surprised that the exhaust system lasted that long. When I sold my 91 Honda Accord LX, it was still using its original exhaust pipes and muffler. And that's after over 130,000 miles. I have heard that in order for Toyota to keep cost down, it has switched the stainless steel exhaust system on the older Camrys to a "non stainless steel" one for the newer models.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Danny,

Yes, Toyota cut some corners to keep costs down on the generation of Camry that followed my '93. I didn't know they discontinued the stainless steel exhaust system, but knew they eliminated the triple door seals that gave the car such a quiet ride (among other things). That's one reason I was never interested in that generation Camry -- my older one was made better.

Danny Tse

Senior HTF Member
Scott,

I mentioned this in another thread, but I am kind of disappointed at my Camry (and the 2001 Accord that I was looking at). Those early to mid 90s Camry/Accord were really something else....everything feeels right, sounds right, and in my opinion, much better made than current versions. I have sat in my friend's top of the line 2002 Honda Accord EX and it's nowhere as nice as my 91 Accord.

Maybe someone should start a "Vintage Camry/Accord" website like those of "Vintage Stereo Equipment"??!!

Christ Reynolds

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ
yeah in the newest camrys, you can see a gap even when youre driving behind one, you dont have to be kneeling down or anything. i see it as a design flaw, theres no other reason for it. if i can see a gap large enough to fit my arm through, they could have shaped it better.

CJ

VinhT

Second Unit
I have a 97 Camry and noticed this phenomenon a while back. I examined it at street level, and it actually appears to be quite "flat". That it looks ridiculously low is mostly an illusion. I still notice it on other Camrys, but it doesn't concern me at all.

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
I've worked on Toyotas in a dealership service dept. for 32 years.

I've noticed this apparently low-hanging exhaust pipe myself.

The number of these that have sustained any damage and had to be repaired at our dealership is:

EXACTLY 0!!

It looks odd but from a durability standpoint is a non-issue.

I don't know who said they eliminated the stainless steel exhaust, but it's not true.

The 92 Camry was very Lexus-like in the way sound insulation was added as well as lots of other little touches you don't see that add to the refinement of the car. A lot of this stuff started going away in subsequent years, especially from 94 to 96. The 97-01 generation was better in some ways, worse in others, didn't look as classy as the previous 92-96 generation but as far as actual noise levels a 4 cyl. Camry was quieter at a 70 mph cruise than a Lincoln Town Car, according to Car & Driver.

With the current generation introduced for 02, they are more than back up to the 92 standards. If you pull off the door trim panel you find all kinds of foam blocks and thicker inner door liners than ever before.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks