What's new

Toy Story 5 (Pixar) (2026) (1 Viewer)

Jeff Cooper

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Cooper
I don't think "Beauty and The Beast" is a good example to use, because the character was depicted as a stereotypical burlesque character played for laughs. He was a ridiculous character that was non-threatening to quite a few of Disney's target audience beliefs.

The examples in the later two films are treating.the characters as mainstream and normal. The MCU films are aimed at a broader audience target than the typical.family audience that Disney's animated films are aimed at, so I don't see them as relevant examples.

I'm not saying that all of the box office problems were attributable to the character traits highlighted in LY and SW, but I think there is a high liklihiod of target audience families staying away because the two Gay characters were depicted as normal, adjusted, human beings and not stereotypical caricatures.
It was also front and center in the Willow tv series. I think that it is safe to say that now it is now part of the standard checklist of items that goes into making a Disney product and we can expect it every time going forward.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Disney's programming on the Freeform network is also very inclusive and has been for years, though that may be aimed at a slightly older age group than some of the animated features.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I wasn't sure if I'd ever bought TS4, but a search shows I did import the 3D from UK. Haven't watched yet though.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
There is some unfortunate Toy Story-adjacent news today. I did a forum search for "Toy Story" and this came up first. Though it doesn't relate to the fifth movie directly, I figured this was as good of a thread to post this in as any on the series.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I will update the release date in the first post when it has a whole date confirmed and not just the year. That being said, I would expect this to go in June 2026 based on historical precedent.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
That'd be over 2 years away. Can hardly wait! And maybe I'll finally be ready for another mid-winter vacay to Disney World the year after that or something (even though I can't use my kids for excuse anymore), LOL! :lol::cool:

OR maybe I should try visiting Disney in Tokyo and/or Hong Kong (for once) during Spring 2025 while I'm out there, if my tentative plans work out... :P

_Man_

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Can hardly wait!
For me, it's a mixture. It's always anticipation (if it's a great movie) mixed with some hesitation (if they screw it up.) Fortunately,, Pixar has an excellent track record with Toy Story so I'm hoping that they wouldn't do this if they didn't think it is a great story. It is interesting to have the release year announced publicly without announcing who is writing it or directing it.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
That'd be over 2 years away. Can hardly wait! And maybe I'll finally be ready for another mid-winter vacay to Disney World the year after that or something (even though I can't use my kids for excuse anymore), LOL! :lol::cool:

OR maybe I should try visiting Disney in Tokyo and/or Hong Kong (for once) during Spring 2025 while I'm out there, if my tentative plans work out... :P

_Man_

I'd love to someday check off all the Disney parks.

Been to WDW and DL in the US as well as DL Paris - which was kinda meh, to be honest.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
It will be interesting if any of these announced Disney/Pixar sequels get people back into theaters, or if Disney has damaged their theatrical arm so badly by pushing their D+ service and sending a number of original films there that most will now just wait until the are available for streaming.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
It will be interesting if any of these announced Disney/Pixar sequels get people back into theaters, or if Disney has damaged their theatrical arm so badly by pushing their D+ service and sending a number of original films there that most will now just wait until the are available for streaming.
I think Moana is on pretty solid ground and Toy Story is simply a money printing machine. People will come out to see another sequel but they're way more hesitant to see a new idea. Thanks to the length of time required for animation, Disney basically can't oversaturate the market like they did with Marvel.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I would not bet against Disney here. These are sequels to some of their most popular movies. If they deliver the goods, I absolutely think people will want to go see them theatrically.

Illumination brought people into the theater for Minions and Mario. Although Mario wasn't a sequel, it absolutely was a pre-sold brand where audiences knew what they were getting when they bought tickets.

Disney's last couple movies (Strange World and Wish) were not particularly good movies, and I think that had as much to do with their failure as anything else. Encanto was released amidst a surge of one of the Covid variants in November 2021, so its box office was probably dented to some degree by that. It is now consistently one of the biggest draws on Disney+, along with Moana.

For Pixar, Lightyear did not seem to connect with very many people. I loved that movie. I am glad it exists and am sorry more people didn't like it. But its results seemed to be more of a rejection of that particular film rather than a rejection of the theater. Minions came out around the same time and was huge for Universal/Illumination. I think Elemental helped to rehabilitate Pixar's brand theatrically. Its long legs throughout the course of the summer indicate people found it long-term and liked it enough for it to hang around well beyond what is typical these days. Those people who saw it later in its theatrical run are going to remember how good it was and they're going to want to come back. Plus, Inside Out is a very beloved film. I think people are going to want to see those characters again.

If the sequels are bad, that's a different situation. But if they're good, I expect these to be huge.

Last edited:

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
If you had told me in 1995 back when the first one came out that we would still get new Toy Story films 31 years later, I wouldn't have believed you.

It's interesting that the release date has been confirmed without announcing anything about who is working on the project. As far as I know, no writer or director has been publicly announced. Of course, Pixar has to know internally.

Anyway, I've updated the release date information in the first post.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks