What's new

Toshiba SD4700 vs Panny RP56 (1 Viewer)

Daniel Mc

Agent
I know there's already been plenty of discussion about the SD4700 and RP56, but I still can't seem to decide which is better. I was pretty impressed with the SD4700, but then I heard the RP56 has a newer and better graphics chip and no chroma bug. On the downside, many reviewers on Amazon.com complained that their RP56 broke on them within a few weeks or months. I can't really compare them side by side, so does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks.

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

BobJ

Stunt Coordinator
I'm very happy with my RP-56 and it has survived six months of heavy use without any problems. No chroma bug and the the Sage/Faroudja chip is great for our usage (we watch a lot of video based material). I tried Toshiba and JVC before getting my Panasonic.

The 56 is being replaced by the RP-62 next month, so you may be able to get a nice close-out deal on a 56.

JonBouche

Agent
I had a 4700 that wouldn't play the first 2 brand new DVD's I put in it. I took it back. End of story.

Get the rp56.

Daniel Mc

Agent
I've heard others say they have had problems with the SD4700 not playing brand new DVD's. Does this seem to happen often, and is there a fix?

JoelO

Stunt Coordinator
what are the title of those brand new DVD's? I never had any problem playing any DVD before w/ my 4700. The newest title I played on my 4700 is "Spy Game" I believe.

ManojM

Stunt Coordinator
I think that the Secrets reviewers strongly recommend the RP56 as the best choice in the $2-300 progressive scan player range.

Jed M

Senior HTF Member
I am very happy with my 4700. I have not had any problems with any DVDs as well. I am pretty sure you could not go wrong either way. I had to make the same decision around Christmas, good luck and enjoy your new player. I can vouch for the 4700's performance.

peter_i

Second Unit
and I can vouch for the 5700 even though HDCD decoding seems to me to be kind of pointless. Excellent player though.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gemini007
Recent bookmarks