What's new

Toshiba SD-5000 (1 Viewer)

Clark Bradley

Stunt Coordinator
Hi All,

Just upgraded my DVD player from a Samsung (old bought in 2000) to a Toshiba SD-5000. Just to give a background on my setup:

TV: Philips HDTV 30PW-8402/37
Receiver: Pioneer VSX-D412

I've got two problems:

1)The DVD allows for HDMI input/output and can output in 480p, 720p or 1080i. I can see video on 480p or 1080i, but the screen goes blank on 720p.

2)The audio does not seem to keep up on 1080i in PCM or BitStream. The sound will keep muting for a few seconds and come back on. If I return the HDMI setting to 480p, the sound is fine.

Any ideas?

Craig

Second Unit

I think you're right. In the past, most HDTVs would handle 480i/480p and then have either 720P or 1080i as native. Most TVs made today will scale the different resolutions to their native resolution (i.e. 1080i becomes 720P internally), but it was pretty common with older TVs that they would only accept either 1080i or 720P, but not both. Most did 1080i, although I think Panasonic made some HDTVs that had 720P capability.

Clark Bradley

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks Craig.

Any ideas on the sound? It doesn't do this if I use component video. Another oddity, when in HDMI video the screen flips between snow and black while the movie menu comes up. The TV speakers crackle as well.

Then when I start the movie, the player sends the audio to the TV (via HDMI) and to the receiver (via digital audio out). It continues to this until I go to the Toshiba menu and set the audio to PCM or DigitalBitStream...then it stops sending it to the TV speakers and only to the receiver.

Turn off the player and turn it back on and it all starts again (sending audio to TV and the receiver).

Clark Bradley

Stunt Coordinator
I switched the HDMI cord over to my cable box and I get the same crackling and video issues (snow...black...snow) when going between HD and regular TV.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks