What's new

Toshiba 57HDX82 vs Mitsu Platinum WS-55511 (DVI vs IEEE) (1 Viewer)

SimonA

Auditioning
Hey all. I'm fairly new to the world of A/V, although it seems that each day that goes by that I'm not on top of things I fall more and more behind. Funny enough, it also seems that the more educated you become in this area, the more confusing it is!

After a few days of online research last week, I went in to purchase the new Sony KP-57WS500 57" RPTV with DVI. This is their low end set (about $2499), but I saw the 51" a few days earlier and fell in love with it, so I decided to get the 57" version. I also found it at a great deal ($2199, no tax, no shiping). After doing a side-by-side comparison, however, with even the higher model Sony (KP-57SV700) to the Gold series Mitsu, I realized I may be making a mistake. So, off I went to do more research. I've always liked the Mitsu but I didn't want to spend the money...however, seeing is believing! I also read some recent reviews which rave about the Toshibas coming in very close to the Pioneer Elites. So, I decided to spend a little more to get more of the picture quality I want. I think I've narrowed my options to the new 2003 Toshiba 57HDX82 (~$2699) and 2003 Mitsu Platinum WS-55511 (~$3199). First, off has anyone compared these two units or have any feedback on the Toshiba? I have yet to see the new Toshiba, so I was only able to compare to last year's model.

The Mitsu has the decoder built in, lots of outputs, great picture quality, IEEE with 5CCP. The Toshiba, well I don't really know much about it, except that they use DVI with HDCP, has a smaller footprint, but it has no built-in decoder. A decoder would probably put it at the same price as the Mitsu. I'm always reading good things about the Toshibas and felt this would be a comparable model to use.

Which brings me what seems to a current hot topic: DVI vs IEEE. From the little reading I've done, I hear that the movie industry is pushing DVI, while the broadcasters want IEEE. IEEE offers less change to implement given you don't need the MPEG decoder. However, I noticed that the new Sony units are moving from their i.Link (IEEE) to DVI. Given Sony is an entertainment company, it may make sense. Well, not sure how much input anyone has as nobody can foretell what's to come. The Mitsu Promise Module is nice, but it still relies heavily on IEEE. Given IEEE (Firewire) is used widely in the electronics industry (computers, cameras, etc.), it does have a solid foundation.

Any help with the above would be great! Thanks in advance.

SimonA

Auditioning
Yup, I read it before I posted. However, I was also hoping for more feedback on my Toshiba vs. Mitsu decision. Hopefully someone will shed some light on these issues. Thanks!

Dorin

Auditioning
I would suggest that you go with the Toshiba 57HDX82. For the price I have been extremely happy with the purchase. I would definitely bargain to 2400+ on the price though....
I compared the HDX series with the new Sony's, Mitsu's and the TWX series from Hitachi (which I consider the best picture quality for HD RPTV's below the overpriced Pio Elites)
The Hitachi's were still the best overall but the HDX's were 95% close with $1000 less for comparable size. This may have to do with the new guns for HDX's are supplied by Hitachi but they are not the Wide Neck variety that Hitachi uses for their top products...
On the topic of decoders.. If you buy a set with the decoder installed, any changes or upgrades will have to bypass that decoder in some way. With the Toshiba and the DVI connection, as your needs or the technolog' needs change, the box can change with it..... IMHO ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
annefnlys01
Recent bookmarks