What's new

Tips on keeping a house clean with dogs (1 Viewer)

Joe Spratley

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
test
I was wondering if anyone here has discovered methods or tips for keeping the house clean with dogs. I have carpet that needs to be changed soon. I don't want the new carpet to be destroyed and because I rent the place I am limited to putting in carpet, otherwise laminate seems like the way to go. Also wondering if anyone has come up with a creative way of cutting down on the amount of dog hair.

StephenA

Screenwriter
Brushing regularly is the best way to keep down dog hair. Washing them once in a while can help too. Bringing them out a lot to do their duties regularly helps tremendously too.

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
I haven't found dogs very useful when it comes to keeping the house clean. They can't reach most shelves, often create more of a mess than they clean, and generally speaking they're afraid of vacuum cleaners. :)

Regards,

Joe

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member

On the contrary, they're fantastic at locating and eliminating any and all of the little bits of food you might drop while cooking.
Mine even responds to the "hoover" command.

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
Mine is a great help with the laundry--spot cleans all food spilled on my t-shirts without me even having to remove them. Likewise takes care of most minor kitchen spills.

True story--a friend of mine had her carpet professionally cleaned. When she gives her dog a treat, the dog takes it into the living room and eats it, then proceeds to lick up every single crumb off the carpet. The spots where the dog has licked are cleaner than the surrounding areas.

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
My brother just bought a new couch and they recommended a cotton material because it's easier to clean the dog hair off. Have you tried getting a French (Maid) Poodle? :D Ooo La-la!

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino

No, but I've found that for non-carpeted floors nothing beats a couple of hamsters with "Swiffer" cloths strapped to their bellies. ;) (Who's at that at the door? Peter who? I don't know anyone named PETA...)

:D

Joe

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
I just spray the pup with some endust and wait until she rolls over for a belly scratch, grab the back legs and swing her around

Micah Lloyd

Stunt Coordinator
Back to the spirit of the question...;)

We've got a couple of those air purifiers that contribute greatly to keeping the dog-smell non-existent. As suggested, vacuum often. You might want to place throw-rugs on heavily traveled areas to reduce wear.

Joe Spratley

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
test
Buzz, I'm sorry to hear about your loss. Mine are only 2.5 and 3 but I dread thinking about when those days will come.

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
Sorry buzz.
I grew up with dogs and we always had them until I left, and I didn't have a dog for a few years, I never really got used to it. :frowning:

speaking of, the current dog was given a hot dog the other day, I was grilling some for the roommate when I had to do some emergency plumbing on the sink and I burnt them, she took one out of the trash and gave it to the pup, greasy hot dog + puppy tummy that doesn't get people food = barf on my floor.

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
Buzz,

Russ looks very much like my ex's beloved Nabs, a Lab mix she lost to old age about 2 years ago at the age of 14. It took a while for Sharon to adjust to doglessness and to get over her grief, about a year. She now has had a rescued pound pup for about a year, another big beige one that appears to be about half lab and half Pointer. She's not a substitute, being very much her own dog with her own personality traits. Grace is a wonderful companion and has filled the place in Sharon's life that only a dog can fill.

I know it's way too soon for you to think much about another dog right now, but I also know you will eventually be able to provide a wonderful home for one and will no doubt once again experience the joy of having the only love money can buy.

Max Knight

Supporting Actor
Buy a dyson vacuum with the animal hair cleaner attachment.

www.dyson.com

It's not cheap, but damn does that thing suck ;)

My house has never been so clean, you can see the difference (and I have mostly hard wood floors!).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks