What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

THIS ISLAND EARTH (1955) on Blu-Ray – when? (1 Viewer)

Bob Furmanek

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bob
War-of-Planets.jpg

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
It would be cool if the Castle Films 8mm version was included as an extra. It was re-titled WAR OF THE PLANETS, I believe. I must have watched that hundreds of times on my Bell & Howell 8mm projector.

But no mutant... what a rip-off. This was my very first movie of what would eventually grow to be a 300-title 8mm/super 8mm digest collection, and the reason it was so is because I knew the excerpts came from THIS ISLAND EARTH...surely we'd get a glimpse of the creature! :angry:

Doug Otte

Supporting Actor
One of the most unique aspects of this film is the plot. Our heroes are taken to the planet, observe the destruction, then manage to escape.

Unlike most movie protagonists, they are just observers. They aren't able to save the two warring societies; they can only save themselves.

CarlosMeat

Second Unit
Real Name
Carlos
One of the most unique aspects of this film is the plot. Our heroes are taken to the planet, observe the destruction, then manage to escape.

Unlike most movie protagonists, they are just observers. They aren't able to save the two warring societies; they can only save themselves.

Very interesting. Rocket Ship XM and Silent Star are similar in that regard but after the fact .

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Very interesting. Rocket Ship XM and Silent Star are similar in that regard but after the fact .

Speaking of SILENT STAR (known as FIRST SPACESHIP ON VENUS in its awful, truncated, badly-dubbed American release)....would the rightsholder of this fascinating production please give it a decent Blu-ray release, please?

CarlosMeat

Second Unit
Real Name
Carlos
Yea , the only example I have of Silent Star is a non-anamorphic DVD ! The only thing I don't like about the film is the fact that the doctor is the child of Hiroshima so it sets the date of the entire film not at some time in the future but right around 1975.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
^You probably have a set like this:
61712W2KR5L.jpg

I managed to snag one of those right before they went OOP. It's a superb set that I'd love to see reissued on BR! It has The Silent Star, In the Dust of the Stars, and Eolomea.

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
There's a blu-ray of Eolomea available in Germany, with English subtitles, for 10 euros.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
^And... it's region locked. I'm not region free on BR and am not likely to be anytime soon. Bummer.

CarlosMeat

Second Unit
Real Name
Carlos
61712W2KR5L.jpg

I managed to snag one of those right before they went OOP. It's a superb set that I'd love to see reissued on BR! It has The Silent Star, In the Dust of the Stars, and Eolomea.

Yes that is where I got Silent Star.

John Sparks

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Sparks
61712W2KR5L.jpg

Boy, not for $90 on eBay or $446 @ Amazon CA..

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
I would also like to see This Island Earth on blu-ray. It makes my top ten of sci fi films of the fifties....

Invasion of the Body Snatchers
20,000 Leagues Under the Sea
War of the Worlds

Forbidden Planet
This Island Earth
When Worlds Collide
The Day the Earth Stood Still
The Fly
The Thing From Another World
Conquest of Space

Bob Furmanek

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bob
We have just restored the Perspecta Stereophonic Sound for the 1955 sci-fi classic, THIS ISLAND EARTH. Unheard anywhere since the original theatrical release, this incredible and dynamic three-channel audio system developed by legendary sound engineer Robert Fine (Mercury Living Presence) will knock you out!

Click here to pre-order: https://www.shoutfactory.com/product/this-island-earth

81Uv1qz88wL._SL1500_.jpg

Perspecta-logo-edited-1.png

Bob Furmanek

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bob
Play it LOUD and be sure to warn the neighbors in advance.

It was quite interesting looking at the audio WAV files on a scope.

Universal's current mono master is very even and flat meaning it's been heavily compressed and filtered in the digital realm. There's hardly any dynamic range whatsoever.

The 3-channel Perspecta track is the total opposite and really makes you appreciate the original intent for this highly dynamic sound design. When it's meant to be loud, they pulled no punches with the mix.

As Jolson said, "You ain't heard nothin' yet!"

Last edited:

Bob Cashill

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Cashill
Bob is testing my resolve not to make any more blind buys - but truth be told, every project of his that I’ve bought has always been well worth it. I’m in.
Me, too--but I've seen the movie (many times) and look forward to really hearing it for the first time. Purchase with confidence!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Indy7solo
Recent bookmarks