What's new

Pre-Order The Wild Party (1975) (Blu-ray) Available for Preorder (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
61ut-r-aGSL._SL1000_.jpg

Thank you for supporting HTF when you preorder using the link below. As an Amazon Associate, HTF earns from qualifying purchases. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
In my opinion, this is Raquel Welch's best performance. The film is pretty good but would have been better with one important plot change. I have the DVD but I'll upgrade if this Blu-ray disc is of high quality.

DarkVader

Second Unit
Real Name
Carlos
I saw this film once, at the tender age of 7 on HBO back in 1975. The only thing I really remember from it is Raquel Welch singing on top of piano (I think...?) I was surprised to read that the film didn't receive an NYC theatrical release until 1981, that may have been limited as I don't remember that. So that means when I saw it in 1975 it went straight to HBO.

jbirdp

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jay Pascucci
Thanks, Ronald. Does anyone know much about whether this film has been restored? Special features? Thanks much.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Yeah, I've always wanted to see it, but haven't been at the right place at the right time to see it or record it. I'm hopeful this will be my chance.

uncledougie

Premium
Real Name
Doug
I have the quite nice looking DVD of The Wild Party. It’s not what you’d typically expect from a Merchant/Ivory film. I believe there were disputes over the final cut (95 minutes vs 108 minutes preferred by director James Ivory - the longer version is on the DVD), but the production values are fine, as are performances in general. It has a very nice turn by James Coco, who didn’t always get leading roles as he has here. I recommend The director’s recent memoir, Solid Ivory, for a fascinating look at this brilliant filmmaker.

DigniT@DigniT!

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Kent
There was a much longer cut of the film. I have tapes time codes and all... on two VHS tapes. A lot of fascinating moments that somehow just don't cohere. It was great to see a more fleshed-out film and lots of things made more sense I'll be eager to see what will ultimately be on the blu ray. I never expected to see this on disc...

uncledougie

Premium
Real Name
Doug
There was a much longer cut of the film. I have tapes time codes and all... on two VHS tapes. A lot of fascinating moments that somehow just don't cohere. It was great to see a more fleshed-out film and lots of things made more sense I'll be eager to see what will ultimately be on the blu ray. I never expected to see this on disc...
I agree, it’s a pleasant surprise. American-International Pictures was rather notorious for hacking up their releases (as they did DeSade a few years earlier), and never to the films’ benefit. I can’t see where a final version ever saw the light of day beyond the 108 minute version, but no doubt the scenes eliminated would be of great interest. Ivory touches on the clashes between Welch and just about everybody else involved in his memoir. But she was the big name in the cast and possibly why it even went into production; however despite her star attraction, even then internal disputes prevented a smooth release at the time.

Hank E

Stunt Coordinator
Just a heads up. I purchased this from Movies Unlimited and the wrong disc is inside the case: the disc is "Play Dirty" (Michael Caine). Several other people online have reported the same problem.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks