What's new

The Ultimate Oliver Stone Collection - Due on 10/19/04 (1 Viewer)

David Brashear

Stunt Coordinator
I'm a huge Oliver Stone fan. I have the previous box set as well as Platoon, Salvador, Natural Born Killers director's cut, and the re-issue of JFK. But I'm going to be very, very po'd if I have rebuy all those movies to get the new documentaries, especially if they don't bother cleaning up the transfers on The Doors and Nixon or include the new version of Born on the Fourth of July.

Nathan V

Supporting Actor
This does not bode well at all for remasters of Nixon and the Doors. These movies have been released already what, three times?

And with being the "ultimate" collection, you'd think they'd upgrade NBK to the director's cut, which I feel is a significantly better film (something about the increased violence makes it much easier to tell it's a satire).

In any case, I'd be all over this set if I didn't already own half these movies.

Regards,
Nathan

GregoryP

Supporting Actor
If I didn't already own the original box set, I'd be getting this re-release. Hopefully Looking for Fidel / Persona Non Grata will be released seperately.

I wish Warner Brothers would get around to releasing The Hand someday....

Eric_B_C

Stunt Coordinator
I liked the look of this, since I don't own most of the movies. (NBK directors cut on video, Any Given Sunday on DVD). But I stopped when I noticed that, in the case of Any Given Sunday (the only DVD I have experience of) they haven't included the extras disk. Seems kinda dumb to put out a big high profile boxed set, and then dump content. Especially when the extras disk is a good one like AGS.

Is that correct? They're only including the regular cut of NBK? If that's really the case, that's very lame indeed.

PaulP

Senior HTF Member
Any definitive specs on this set? I'd like to pick it up - it's about $80 with STL from Amazon, and the only Stone DVD I have is the Natural Born Killers Director's Cut. I just need to know that these are all anamorphic and all the extras on existing editions are included as well. I can't find detailed information anywhere, and it comes out in less than a month!

Nick Sievers

Senior HTF Member
I would like to know as well, it is a good price and I only own Platoon and NBK: DC but they all need to be anamorphic before i'll put my cash down for this set.

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
Eric, what gives you the idea that "Any Given Sunday" will be a single-disc issue and is this confirmed or just your assumption?

It seems to be listed on Amazon as the director's cut, which to my knowledge, has only been released to date in a 2-disc set (the single version I believe, was just the theatrical issue) and at a total of 14 discs, it would only make sense I think...

Disc 01 - Salvador: Special Edition

Disc 02 - Platoon: Special Edition

Disc 03 - Wall Street

Disc 04 - Talk Radio

Disc 05 - Born On The Fourth Of July: Special Edition

Disc 06 - JFK: Director's Cut, Disc 1

Disc 07 - JFK: Director's Cut, Disc 2

Disc 08 - The Doors: Special Edition, Disc 1

Disc 09 - The Doors: Special Edition, Disc 2

Disc 10 - Heaven & Earth

Disc 11 - Natural Born Killers

Disc 12 - Nixon: Collector's Edition, Disc 1

Disc 13 - Nixon: Collector's Edition, Disc 2

Disc 14 - U-Turn

WHOA You're right!

I wonder what's missing or if Amazon just has their specs mislabeled?

Eitherway, at least three of the following four - (Nixon, The Doors, JFK & AGS) - have to be offered in their 2-disc versions in order to account for the 14 discs, but something certainly doesn't seem right!

It looks like I'll be waiting for reviews before actually heading out to purchase this set. I will be extremely dissapointed if any of the extras on any of the films are not ported over on all discs!

We'll have to wait and see now...

Damin J Toell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Damin J. Toell

The theatrical cut of AGS has never been released on DVD. The director's cut has been released twice, first as a one-discer, then as a 2-disc set.

DJ

Joshua_W

Second Unit
The thing that bothers me is if you look at the specs... alot one DVD per movie (with Looking for Fidel and Persona non Grata on 1 disc) and the Oliver Stone's America DVD, you get 14 discs.

So they could be dropping all second discs from 2-disc editions.

I also don't know what kind of packaging it will be in... all of the movies, on their individual releases, are a mix of keepcases, digipaks, and snappers. So would all of the movies just be in a big box with a mix of all of these various cases... or would they have a uniform packaging like all-keepcases... or something else, like the Godfather set.

I would be careful about pre-ordering this until we find out what it actually is.

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
Josh, as for the packaging, if you check Amazon you will see cover art for the pre-release of Heaven & Earth which is making it's DVD debut in this collection and is housed nicely in an amaray keepcase so I'd assume all the other films will follow in this format. I am weary about what we will be getting as far as the Special Editions and supplementals are concerned though. I forgot to take into account the Fidel and Oliver Stone's America discs in my above post...

PaulP

Senior HTF Member
I think it was said it will be housed in two fold-out digipaks, like the X-Files seasons.

This is really looking to be dropping the second discs of 2-disc sets, which SUCKS ASS. Won't be getting it then.

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
Here's the press release which outlines exactly what will be featured on what discs however it doesn't mention anything about extras:

http://www.noblepr.co.uk/Press_Relea...iver_stone.htm

It does seem to indicate that at least one of the three 2-disc sets (either "The Doors", JFK" or "Any Given Sunday") will be presented as 2-discs, based on the number of titles in the first section of the press statement and the number of subsequent discs announced.

"Discs 1 -11: 10 Movies plus hours of selected per-title commentaries and extras (in order of release)"

I'm a little concerned that neither "Platoon" nor "Born On The Fourth Of July" seem to be listed under Special Edition banners while "The Doors" and "Any given Sunday" are clearly marked as well as the director's cut of "JFK".

If I had to guess which of the catalgoue 2-disc issues would be ported over in it's current format for this release, I'd say "Any Given Sunday" based on the fact that it's listed not only as a Director's Cut in the press statement, but as a Special Edition Director's Cut to boot - whereas the current 2-disc edition of JFK is also titled the 'Special Edition Director's Cut', yet not acknowledged as such on this press release.

It also seems odd that apparently "Nixon" is not listed as being included on this upcoming set. I was under the impression that it was going to be featured, but I guess that might be a plus now that Warner Bros seems to be neglecting to include some of the supplemental discs...

It seems from all the information that we have been given so far, that there should be a total of 2 bonus discs unfortunately not included in this set while all other material would likely to be featured. I'm just hoping that none of the current content on these releases is altered or downsized for this box set.

I wonder if it would be at all possible to squeeze the extras from the second discs of "JFK" & "The Doors" onto a single dual-layered release without affecting the picture quality? Perhaps, WB is going to manage this way?

PaulP

Senior HTF Member
Why do they say it's a 13-disc set when it was said it's 14 discs previously (and listed as 14 on Amazon). Plus no word on currently non-anamorphic transfers being anamorphic. I'm really confused and pissed off with this set. This looked indeed like the ultimate collection and I couldn't wait to finally pick it up, but this is looking like a disaster now. Until we get a COMPLETE listing of extras and format details, I won't be thinking of buying it, although it's very tempting, with a low price with STL on Amazon right now...

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
I'm really confused now...

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/dvdnews.php?id=6233

In the above report, not only is Nixon said to be included but "Platoon" is also listed as a Special Edition along with "Born On the Fourth Of July", and both "Any Given Sunday" and "JFK" are also listed as Special Edition Director's Cuts as opposed to just the regular Director's Cuts which are otherwise available in single-disc format...

I want to put my faith in WB for all the great product they;ve recently been delivering but I'm really on edge about this set now. I also find it unfortunate that these will be housed in digipacks when Amazon is now listing some really beautiful new cover art for these reissues such as the upcoming "Heaven & Earth" DVD.

This statement seems to be a pretty good indicator of what we can expect however:

"Each digi will include seven DVDs and a beautiful booklet."

Well 7 DVD's per digi to total 14 discs as listed, and exactly 14 titles now mentioned including the bonus disc and documentary debuts likely means that these might very well all be single-disc versions. Maybe they'll be flippers as someone else previously mentioned?

sigh...

PaulP

Senior HTF Member
The 2-discers would have to be flippers. I'm hoping that's the case, because otherwise I won't get this, even though, after STL, it comes out to under $6 per disc.

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
I unfortunately don't believe that will be the case as depicted here, though it still doesn't say much as the questionable 2-disc releases seem to be buried under the pile...

I really don't know what to do so I'm just gonna stop posting in this thread until some detailed reviews are up giving more insight into exactly what will be featured. I have to say I am extremely dissapointed though... would it have really been that hard to simply issue these titles in keepcases like the recent Star Wars, Scorsese, Hitchcock or Noir Collections? Even if WB didn't decide to include the 2-disc sets, at the very least we could still replace the cases with single-sized double disc amarays and upgrade the set ourselves. I'm also irked at the fact that we are losing the great cover art for many of these releases like the Special Edition of Platoon, etc.

Anyways, that's it from me unless someone posts again in this thread with conclusive information. This does seem like an enormous let down though and I wish someone from Warner Bros. would come accross this thread and offer further details...

Chad Ferguson

Supporting Actor
Couple of days away from the release and no reviews or anything. Ihave to say that the artwork is amazing. Just wish they could do this box set right cause the chances of a third one happening on DVD is slim to none.

PaulP

Senior HTF Member
Yeah this comes out in three days and no real info has been released. Nobody knows in previously non-anamorphic titles are anamorphic, etc. I think it's 99% safe to say the extra discs are being dropped.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks