THE TRAIN - HEAVEN KNOWS MR. ALLISON

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by Ernest, May 21, 2014.

1. Ernest

Ernest Supporting Actor

THE TRAIN and HEAVEN KNOWS MR. ALLISON can be pre-ordered today from Screen Archives. THE TRAIN is limited to 3 Blu-ray copies per customer. Two excellent WW II dramas.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Kyrsten Brad, Cine_Capsulas and LeoA like this.
  2. Hollywoodaholic

Hollywoodaholic Edge of Glory?

Wayne
    Thanks for the heads up. Not sure how fast it will sell, but I'm already in now for The Train, but will also probably get Heaven Knows Mr. Alison, a Mitchum favorite.

telzall likes this.
  3. Mark Cappelletty

Mark Cappelletty Cinematographer

I've never seen HEAVEN KNOWS MR. ALLISON but bought it so I could get the signed USED CARS for a friend's birthday present next month. I've been waiting for a decent copy of THE TRAIN to appear forever. Very excited about these two!

4. SAhmed

SAhmed Second Unit

Shakeel
    I don't think I have ever seen "Heaven Knows Mr. Allison" but seeing as how it has both Deborah Kerr and Robert Mitchum, I shall probably pick it up soon.

I did however place orders for "The Train", "The Mechanic" and "The Man From Laramie".

Regards,

atfree likes this.
  5. Walsh61

Walsh61 Stunt Coordinator

Garth Lough
    Thanks Ernest. Ordered both along with The Man From Laramie and Two Rode Together. Always glad to see another Robert Mitchum favorite make it to blu.

6. Kyrsten Brad

Kyrsten Brad Screenwriter

Brad
    Question, how exactly does the deal for the signed copy of Used Cars work? Is it buy $100 of TT products and get the signed copy free? Or do you buy UC as part of a $100 order?

7. Mark-P

Mark-P Producer

Mark Probst
    It was completely free to anyone with an order of $100 or more. You had to be really quick though, they were all taken in 2 minutes time. I was too slow during the checkout process and got a "item has been removed from your cart due to a change in inventory" message. It was only 2 minutes past 4pm Eastern, so I missed out.

8. nealg

nealg Stunt Coordinator

Neal
    I was typing as Mark's reply hit.

I can confirm that the deal was dead within two minutes; I missed it, too.

The way the promo works is first fill your cart with TT product, then search for the promo title. If you're quick enough, there will be a second line in the drop-down for the promo title saying the title followed by something like "signed copy" or "autographed," I don't recall exactly. Select that specific item, add it to your cart, and get checked out as soon as possible!

9. JoHud

JoHud Producer

Joe Hudak
    Thanks for the heads-up, almost forgot to preorder (Though my wallet would've thanked me).

Looks like The Train is expected to be the big inventory pusher given that it's the only one with a 3 disc limit.

10. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    I jumped all over that release as I simply love this film. Also, preordered Heaven Knows Mr. Allison and The Man from Laramie.

11. Rick Thompson

Rick Thompson Screenwriter

Ordered The Train, but will pass on Allison. Had it on DVD, didn't care for it and gave it away.

12. atcolomb

atcolomb Second Unit

Angelo
    Just received the The Train and played a few minues of it and it looks very good with a crisp black & white image. A high price to pay for a blu-ray but worth it for this great movie.

13. ahollis

ahollis Producer

Allen
    Received THE TRAIN today. I can't believe that I am actually watching this title on an a Blu-ray, which looks spectacular, in the OAR. Thank you Twilight. thank you.

14. theonemacduff

theonemacduff Second Unit

Jon Paul
    My copy of The Train hasn't arrived yet, but I am north of the 49th, and have to trip down south to pick it up at my favourite address. Since I've been watching it regularly for years, on VHS, and then on the old non-anamorphic DVD, I'm looking forward to this very much, especially the spectacular multi-train crash and that amazing shot looking down the wing of a fighter plane as it circles over a loco racing for a tunnel, rotating anti-clockwise around the train far below. Plus, it has an overflight of Mosquitoes, and lots of done-by-himself Lancaster stunts, the Tom Cruise of his era. And yes, for this title, and maybe a couple of others (Kremlin Letter if it ever arrives on BR), I will hold my nose and put up with the TT business model, which otherwise I dislike very much. But since this proves me a TT hypocrite, I will say no more on that topic.

Johnny Angell and ahollis like this.
  15. Hollywoodaholic

Wayne
    I just screened The Train for my 17 year-old son, who enjoys WWII movies, and I had to explain to him... no CGI, real trains, real explosions, real physics, real stunts (that's one single shot near the end when Lancaster tumbles down the hill until he comes into the close up). He liked it and appreciated it.
    Kids today really don't care whether something is CGI or not, which is sad for those of us weaned on the real stuff. A CGI picture is really no different than a cartoon now; it's just made up stuff rendered on a computer with nothing real at stake. Nothing is really blown up, nothing is really destroyed, no one's really doing a risky stunt, and trains can defy the laws of physics and fly 300 feet in the air when they crash (see Super 8). I suppose in the end it doesn't really matter since no movies are actually real. But they are less real today and I feel that as a bit of a loss. Cartoons.

16. bruceames

bruceames Supporting Actor

Bruce Ames
    I've watched about an hour of The Train and it looks gorgeous. This is a GREAT WWII movie and is probably my favorite TT film so far.

17. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    Watching this BD yesterday reinforce the reasons why I got into this hobby in the first place. I loved every minute of watching this fine film again.

AshJW and telzall like this.
  18. Matt Hough

Matt Hough Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Matt Hough
    I hope to have my review of Heaven Knows, Mr. Allison up late this afternoon and The Train tomorrow. The Mechanic will follow on Thursday.

19. telzall

telzall Stunt Coordinator

second star to the right; straight on til morning
    joe
    Agree with the positive assessment of this film. I just ordered my BD last night.
    Do I need to keep my old DVD copy for the commentary, etc?

20. Hollywoodaholic

Wayne
    The excellent Frankenheimer commentary is on the TT Blu-ray, as well as another one with three film historians, including Julie Kirgo.

ahollis likes this.