What's new

The Time Machine (1960) (Blu-ray) Available for Preorder (1 Viewer)

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Ethan Riley said:
I'm gonna agree with Bruce's comments above. And I have no idea how it's "supposed" to look. The only time I saw it on the big screen was at an early 70s kiddee matinee, so who knows how good the print really was. I had the vhs but never the DVD. The blu is a revelation.
Ah yes, MGM Children's Matinees. As a young ticket taker we played those in 70 & 71. I recall not only THE TIME MACHINE, but also THE WIZARD OF OZ, THE YEARLING, LASSIE COME HOME, THE PHANTOM TOLL BOOTH, and THE ADVENTURES OF HUCK FINN ( Eddie Hodges version). There were others but I don't recall the titles. Theatre sat 650 and it was sold out for most of the titles both Saturday and Sunday.

Reed Grele

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Reed Grele
One of my childhood favorites. Very pleased with the video / audio quality. Not so much with the cover / label "art?" But I'd rather have a wonderful transfer with lousy graphics than vice versa. I can always swap out the crummy case insert with some beautiful fan created masterpiece.

BTW, if you think the current BD cover looks bad, It could have been worse. Look at this MGM 1972 "Children's Matinees" poster:

TimeMachine.jpg

I just love the way the artist updated, and streamlined the antiquated, creaky looking old time machine. It's even a two seater!

And if you thought it couldn't get any worse than that, check out the Forbidden Planet poster from the same era that I purchased sight unseen from an ad in Movie Collector's World back in the early eighties:

ForbiddenPlanet.jpg

The artist didn't even bother to check whether the planet actually had rings!

TheSteig

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Love this film, watched the blu ray of it.. wasnt too terribly impressed with the blu ray quality but I love the film so much that I didnt care. It had some great looking scenes but Im sure if I pop on my DVD it'll look nearly the same ( 16 x 9, etc)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Received my copy last evening.

Going to try and give it a spin later today.

Have never seen this film, so it's going to be exciting to view it fresh.

Only thing I can say for the moment is that the cover art has a lot to be desired.
The studio definitely could have gone for something better.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
David Steigman said:
Love this film, watched the blu ray of it.. wasnt too terribly impressed with the blu ray quality but I love the film so much that I didnt care. It had some great looking scenes but Im sure if I pop on my DVD it'll look nearly the same ( 16 x 9, etc)
You want to bet?

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Peter Apruzzese said:
Just for kicks I put on the DVD so I could switch back and forth between it and the Blu in a couple of segments. The biggest surprise was that the DVD held up very nicely upscaled. Switching to the Blu-ray was definitely a *big* upgrade in picture quality, though. The limitations of the DVD became apparent pretty quickly (general softness, lack of detail in non close-ups, etc.) compared to the Blu. Looking forward to watching the whole thing over the next few days. Note: this was projected 8 feet wide.
I did the same and the 2000 DVD is not close to me.

Persianimmortal

Screenwriter
Real Name
Koroush Ghazi
haineshisway said:
Um, I just ran them side by side and if you think that there isn't a dramatic improvement in the transfer between the DVD and the Blu-ray, based on CAPS, then I don't know what to tell you because it is night and day. There is not slightly more detail, there's a ton more detail in every shot. But what do I know? I'm only looking at the two transfers on the same screen via two OPPO Blu-ray players. I know, it's not optimal but… :)
It's not optimal because it introduces upscaling into the equation. The Oppo playing the DVD will be upscaling that DVD, altering and improving its image quality, including the use of interpolation and subtle edge enhancement. All DVD upscaling algorithms digitally manipulate the image in some way. My point was simply that for a purely objective, unaltered comparison between the DVD and the Blu-ray, flick between the DVD vs. Blu screencaps at capsaholic. To my eyes, the Blu-ray has very noticeable improvements in the areas of contrast and color, which I've noted, but it is not that much better in terms of detail. In my opinion, it is not a dramatic improvement, but it is an improvement nonetheless, and a welcome one as the film was long overdue on Blu-ray.

Fortunately, anyone reading this need not take either my opinion, or your opinion, as the final arbiter - they can see the difference for themselves thanks to the magic of screencaps, and make their own mind up. Especially for those who are considering buying this film, as opposed to those who already own it. I'm not sure why giving people the tools to make their own mind up is so frowned upon by certain people here, but there it is.

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
Persianimmortal said:
It's not optimal because it introduces upscaling into the equation. The Oppo playing the DVD will be upscaling that DVD, altering and improving its image quality, including the use of interpolation and subtle edge enhancement. All DVD upscaling algorithms digitally manipulate the image in some way. My point was simply that for a purely objective, unaltered comparison between the DVD and the Blu-ray, flick between the DVD vs. Blu screencaps at capsaholic. To my eyes, the Blu-ray has very noticeable improvements in the areas of contrast and color, which I've noted, but it is not that much better in terms of detail. In my opinion, it is not a dramatic improvement, but it is an improvement nonetheless, and a welcome one as the film was long overdue on Blu-ray.

Fortunately, anyone reading this need not take either my opinion, or your opinion, as the final arbiter - they can see the difference for themselves thanks to the magic of screencaps, and make their own mind up. Especially for those who are considering buying this film, as opposed to those who already own it. I'm not sure why giving people the tools to make their own mind up is so frowned upon by certain people here, but there it is.
Better yet, they can just watch the Blu-ray and be entranced by its terrific quality. It's funny that even with upscaling, which you say makes the DVD look even better, there's STILL a huge difference in detail. Funny how that works. :) Listen, if people want to think it's only a minor step up from the DVD in terms of detail based on looking at screen caps, that's great.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Persianimmortal said:

If people want to use screen caps to make up their mind about purchasing this title or not, that's their business. Just like it's not my preference to do the same as least not in regard to most of my disc purchases.

Now, I am really interested in reading other mini-reviews from those that do have this disc.

Ron, I think you might be a little disappointed in this BD because you haven't seen the DVD.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Ron, I think you might be a little disappointed in this BD because you haven't seen the DVD.
Not sure if I understand.

[color=rgb(40,40,40);font-family:'Merriweather Sans', sans-serif;background-color:rgb(242,242,242);]I just finished watching The Time Machine for the very first time anywhere.[/color]

Thoroughly enjoyed it.

I can see why this film has gained quite a fan base over the years.

The Blu-ray presentation, to my eyes, was quite good. If anything rather negative
about it is the fact that the high definition brings out the seams in the effects work.

Don't know what problems the posted screen caps are showing. I didn't read this
entire thread. However, I don't put any faith in screen caps. Just watching a moving
film with my own eyes is the best way to make an interpretation on its presentation.
To these eyes, the transfer looked pretty darn good.

Joseph Bolus

Senior HTF Member
I got mine in the mail yesterday and can't wait to view it tonight!
I never owned the DVD so I'll just be enjoying the presentation!!

TheSteig

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
I agree that there wasnt a dramatic difference other than the film has a higher resolution. If you watch the DVD and blu ray - they dont look at that different. I can say that about many catalog titles that's compared (the Innocents, Mars Attacks ) Some titles just do not have dramatic differences or improvements on blu ray

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Ronald Epstein said:
Not sure if I understand.

[color=rgb(40,40,40);font-family:'Merriweather Sans', sans-serif;background-color:rgb(242,242,242);]I just finished watching The Time Machine for the very first time anywhere.[/color]

Thoroughly enjoyed it.

I can see why this film has gained quite a fan base over the years.

The Blu-ray presentation, to my eyes, was quite good. If anything rather negative
about it is the fact that the high definition brings out the seams in the effects work.

Don't know what problems the posted screen caps are showing. I didn't read this
entire thread. However, I don't put any faith in screen caps. Just watching a moving
film with my own eyes is the best way to make an interpretation on its presentation.
To these eyes, the transfer looked pretty darn good.
I thought you might have a problem with the PQ due to some issues not related to how good a job Warner did with this BD.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
David Steigman said:
I agree that there wasnt a dramatic difference other than the film has a higher resolution. If you watch the DVD and blu ray - they dont look at that different. I can say that about many catalog titles that's compared (the Innocents, Mars Attacks ) Some titles just do not have dramatic differences or improvements on blu ray
Then you and I just disagree because I see a big difference to my eyes.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I thought you might have a problem with the PQ due to some issues not related to how good a job Warner did with this BD.
Having watched the Blu-ray this morning it didn't occur to me that
there were any issues.

Of course, this is a first-time watch for me on any format so perhaps
there are issues compared to prior releases that I am just not aware of.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Ronald Epstein said:
Having watched the Blu-ray this morning it didn't occur to me that
there were any issues.

Of course, this is a first-time watch for me on any format so perhaps
there are issues compared to prior releases that I am just not aware of.
Unfortunately, at least for some people, there are always issues with classic films released on BD.

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
Robert Crawford said:
Then you and I just disagree because I see a big difference to my eyes.
There is a big difference in every aspect of the transfer, from detail to color to contrast to sound.

Ed Lachmann

Screenwriter
Real Name
Edmund Lachmann
Screen caps are certainly not the last word on the quality of a blu-ray seen in real time. I avoided the wonderful BD of THE BAD SEED at first because screen caps suggested it was not much of an improvement over the DVD. Later, when it went on sale, I picked it up and was mesmerized by the jaw dropping moving image which is SUCH an improvement. Off to buy my TIME MACHINE along with several Criterions at B&N this afternoon!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks