What's new

Pre-Order The Shining (1997) (Blu-ray) Available for Preorder (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
71TrZunSAHL._SL1500_.jpg

Thank you for supporting HTF when you preorder using the link below. As an Amazon Associate HTF earns from qualifying purchases. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link.

Robert Saccone

Premium
I liked this miniseries a lot. Glad to see it’s coming to blu-ray. Also I got to see some of the props when We stayed at The Stanley Hotel a few years ago.

cineMANIAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Luis
I had this on DVD. Don't remember much about it to be honest. I'll never agree that this version is better than Kubrick's, though. I don't care if it is more faithful to the book - there's just no comparison to the 1980 film - a true masterpiece that happens to be a horror film - an achievement all on its own.

Last edited:

Robert Saccone

Premium
I got this recently. Looks good and is an improvement over the DVD. I watched it twice, second time with commentary which I enjoyed because it had King, Garriss, Webber and the producer whose name escapes me. Lots of nice insight's. I enjoy this one very much and don’t try to compare it Kubrick’s version. I also vacationed at The Stanley and it was neat seeing all the filming locations.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
I had this on DVD. Don't remember much about it to be honest. I'll never agree that this version is better than Kubrick's, though. I don't care if it is more faithful to the book - there's just no comparison to the 1980 film - a true masterpiece that happens to be a horror film - an achievement all on its own.
Yeah... I've never read the book to know (I don't like King's writing and his stories just aren't very scary - kind of cliche stuff, IMHO).

Overall, the miniseries isn't bad but can't hold a candle to Kubrick's version. It often feels bloated. For a TV miniseries of those years the vfx are decent. I have a friend who love's King's work and has the DVD but will get the BR at some point *if* it's priced low enough. She, too, prefers the Kubrick version.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks