What's new

The Shanghai Kid (1 Viewer)

David Ren

Stunt Coordinator
Hey guys,

I've been a part of Home Theater Forum since I was in junior high school and have met Ron and others at all the NYC DVD Meets. I just wanted to share some exciting news in my life.

I'm currently shooting my first feature film that I am writing and directing. It's called "The Shanghai Kid" and it stars Ken Leung, Hayden Panettiere, Kelly Hu, Joel David Moore, Summer Altice, Byron Mann, and Luoyang Wang.
The movie takes place in Los Angeles and Shanghai, China. We just wrapped LA and going to Shanghai tomorrow for a month and a half.

I hope I can get all your support as I go through this journey. So tell everyone you know to look out for "The Shanghai Kid" next year and I'll update you on how production is going.

This is the film's IMDB page

This is a Variety article on the film

David

teapot2001

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thi
Congratulations! That's very cool!

That's a pretty impressive cast for a first feature film from someone so young. Got any footage of Summer Altice? :)

~T

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
you get a big thumbs up from me! Alot of people talk about making their first film, and usually it's a digital camera and a buynch of friends. This osunds like the real deal.

Can't wait to hear more, and good luck on the Shanghai location shooting!

Stevan Lay

Second Unit
Yeah, have fun. I was just over there a month ago. Amazing city.

And Kelly Hu. WOW!! Can't wait...

David Ren

Stunt Coordinator
I just got into Shanghai tonight. Will finish up prep here. Ken and Kelly get in next week. I just looked at all the dailies we shot in LA and it all looks amazing! We're shooting 35MM Anamorphic, using Darius Khondji's lenses, and it's beautiful. Hayden Panettiere will be the next Natalie Portman, she's just that good and Ken Leung is an asian Al Pacino. I could've be more impressed with the both of them.

David

Random Hero

Second Unit
Real Name
Paul
Cool! We know a writer/director. The movie sounds great and we can't wait to see it. Thanks for keeping us updated and sharing your experience with us. Best wishes! :)

David Ren

Stunt Coordinator
First week in Shanghai went well. The crew here is amazing. We're working with most of the crew from Hero and House of Flying Daggers.

Just saw a lot of the footage from the LA portion edited together and it looks great.

Let me know if anybody wants to read the screenplay and I'll e-mail it over.

David

ThomasC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas
How the movie coming along? Is there a set release date or an estimate?

David Ren

Stunt Coordinator
We're just finishing post right now. Still have to do the sound mix and ADR. Our composer is finishing up the score. It turned out better than I could've hoped for. I'm really proud of it. Everybody who I've shown it to calls it an Asian Woody Allen film, which is great. Woody Allen is definitely a big influence of mine.

Since I first posted this thread, there has been cast changes. Louyang Wang couldn't do the film and he was replaced by James Hong, who was great. Summer Altice may cut out of the film. Apparently, she's not the best actress in the world. Timothy Bottoms plays a small part as Hayden's father. No release date yet but if you live in LA, you can come over my place to watch it, lol.

Oh, and it's been renamed Shanghai Kiss. Check out Ken Leung (the star of the movie) in X-Men 3. He's playing Quill.

David

ThomasC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas
Who's the composer? Is this his/her major debut?

Forever of "Seinfeld" fame: "Five, ten minutes." :D

David Ren

Stunt Coordinator
Haha, I loved that episode. "I yell Cartwright! Cartwright!"

The composer is David Kitay. He does all Terry Zwigoff movies like Bad Santa, Ghost World and the new Art School Confidential. Also composed the scores for The Ice Harvest, Harold and Kumar, Clueless, Look Who's Talking, Look Who's Talking Too, Scary Movie, Can't Hardly Wait, Loser, etc.

As this is a coming of age romantic comedy, it fits.

David

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
Hey David buddy, how is it going?! I always liked your posts!

*Better befriend him before he becomes rich and famous*

--
H

Random Hero

Second Unit
Real Name
Paul
Hey, David!

Great to hear from you again.

Sounds like you have a terrific cast and crew. Can't wait to hear more about your movie, and hopefully get to see it.

Laurac17

Auditioning
Real Name
Laura
Hi Mr. David Ren I'm a huge huge fan of Hayden Panettiere and you're so lucky to work with her! She's better than Portman she's gonna be the biggest star soon :) Was she nice and fun to work with? Anything cool happen during the shoot like any funny stories or something that would be great if you can share anything about Hayden! Are you allowed to send the script that would be cool if you can send me the script my email is [email protected] if you cant thats ok dont worry. Where is this movie showing is it comig out soon?

I really wanna read the script because I'm confused aout something or can you tell me if Hayden is just friends with this guy or are they dating in the movie because I looked up this guy and he's 35 and Hayden was 15 almost 16 last year so I hope they're friends or if they hook up maybe they just kiss a little but no sex scene nothing graphic or nudity! Is that why you filmed in China because you can shoot sex scenes and have nudity with 15-16 years but here you cant? Well hope this will be a clean friendship flick.

Laura

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks