What's new

The reviews by me thread (1 Viewer)

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
Ella Fitzgerald- Complete Songbooks

Yes- complete. That's 16 CDs of Ella singing some of the best songs by Jerome Kern, the Gershwins, Mercer, Duke, Arlen, Berlin, Rogers & Hart, and Porter.

The packaging recreates the LPs as mini CD booklets, and everything is so tiny! The Gershwin set is 3 CDs and there's a teeny little book that goes with it and everything.

Listening to the first Duke disc and it's awesome. Ella scats, something I don't think she really gets to do with the other songs and I love her doing it. The Duke discs were the ones I was most looking forward to.

I already had the Porter and Berlin sets seperately, but figured it was cheaper to get the box and sell the ones I have then track down all the individual albums, especially since I found this one for real cheap.

The Jerome Kern disc is really great. The first Gershwin disc was a bit corny- it starts with these instrumental intros and preludes and some of the Gershwins' songs were, to me, kinda stupid (but they made up for it with Porgy & Bess).

I'm in the box set zone right now. In addition to this, I got a couple of the Miles Davis sets coming- complete Jack Johnson and complete Gil Evans and I want to track down all the Miles stuff. Also got Bird's Verve master takes coming. Gotta love ebay and amazon marketplace.

My ultimate box set desire is the Duke Ellington centennial set- 24 discs of everything he recorded for RCA/Victor. That is so expensive. It will be a long, painful hunt, but when I track it down, the feast shall be glorious.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks