What's new

The Pride and the Passion (1957) (Blu-ray) Available for Preorder (1 Viewer)

Capnvid

Captain
Real Name
Burt Vincent
"May I ask what aspect ratio.....?"

The picture looks cropped. It's not for perfectionists, just Baby Boomers who love the stars and the movie. Loren lovers like me.

commander richardson

Second Unit
Real Name
martyn
The press release on Ron's August Olive releases thread said this will include English subtitles, which I think will be a first for a Cary Grant Olive release. I'm very happy about that!
Me too.............English Sub-titles are included..........and it is good movie contrary to certain people stating otherwise..........Olive now include English sub-titles on their releases something that shitty label KINO LORBER no longer do and their sales will dip even more for that reason alone......

Ernest

Supporting Actor
Twilight Time said they passed on this film because the transfer offered was the wrong aspect ratio. So, even though I love the film, I will wait for reviews of the blu before buying.

Twilight Time maybe correct the Internet Movie Data Base shows the aspect ratio as 1:85 x 1 while the back cover of the Olive Films release shows 1 :78 x 1. That would make this version slightly cropped though watching the movie is looks fine certainly a big improvement over the DVD. The problem is with a title like this, an old average movie period piece, this maybe as good as it gets.

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
To be completely fair, Twilight Time's comment was that the reason they passed on The Pride and the Passion was that it was a sub-par transfer. They threw in that it was also in the incorrect aspect ratio. I won't know what AR this Blu-ray is actually in until I see some screen caps. The label claiming that it is 1.78:1 is meaningless as liner specs are so often wrong. If the MGM master was indeed 1.78:1, then the claim of "incorrect" is a bit of a nitpick as the vast majority of VistaVision films have been presented on Blu-ray at exactly that ratio (from The Ten Commandments to North By Northwest). However I suppose it's possible that the MGM master that Twilight Time inspected was at 1.66:1 (the ratio of the old DVD) and Kino could have matted and rescaled it to 1.78:1 which would have been a perfectly acceptable thing to do even though there may have been a slight loss in resolution.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I sampled the first ten minutes or so last night and it's full 16x9 (so 1.77:1) - it's a huge improvement over the DVD. But, the framing does seem tight especially on the top and consistently so. I'm not sure how many people will notice or care - it's not an end of the world type thing for me. But it seems there if you're looking for it.

Ed Lachmann

Screenwriter
Real Name
Edmund Lachmann
Me too.............English Sub-titles are included..........and it is good movie contrary to certain people stating otherwise..........Olive now include English sub-titles on their releases something that shitty label KINO LORBER no longer do and their sales will dip even more for that reason alone......

Kino's releases tower over much of the crap other companies put out, especially the many disappointing titles from Criterion these days. As a silent and classic film fan, I find Kino about the only game in town. No disappointment in them whatsoever. And, unless you're watching a foreign film or near deaf, many don't give a rat's buttocks about the English subs.

Stephen PI

Supporting Actor
I sampled the first ten minutes or so last night and it's full 16x9 (so 1.77:1) - it's a huge improvement over the DVD. But, the framing does seem tight especially on the top and consistently so. I'm not sure how many people will notice or care - it's not an end of the world type thing for me. But it seems there if you're looking for it.

Josh is there any way you can check to see if the cue marks are on the disc and if so compare them to the screen-grab I provided (around 18 minutes), in message #13, to see if they are in the same position?

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Josh is there any way you can check to see if the cue marks are on the disc and if so compare them to the screen-grab I provided (around 18 minutes), in message #13, to see if they are in the same position?

Around 18 minutes in? Will try to get to it tonight.

Flashgear

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Randall

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
. . . . And, unless you're watching a foreign film or near deaf, many don't give a rat's buttocks about the English subs.

Both my parents were deaf. For some people subtitles are essential, and that may be where that other poster is coming from. It would be interesting to know how bad his hearing is, as he seems to be obsessed with subtitles.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg

Ok, just watched it that scene. No cue marks on the disc. It appeared that the disc had a smidgen more picture on the bottom than the cap, while the cap had a smidgen more headroom than the disc. Almost imperceptible. But it could very well just be my television making that difference.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Both my parents were deaf. For some people subtitles are essential, and that may be where that other poster is coming from. It would be interesting to know how bad his hearing is, as he seems to be obsessed with subtitles.

Regarding subtitles or lack thereof, remember the ADA: American with Disabilities Act. Please be sensitive to other people who may not be as you are.
I am not deaf, but I wear hearing aids. They do help, but do not restore my hearing to normal. I frequently turn on subtitles and I believe they should be standard on any release. But that's just me.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
I am not deaf, but I wear hearing aids. They do help, but do not restore my hearing to normal. I frequently turn on subtitles and I believe they should be standard on any release. But that's just me.

At the present my hearing is good, but you never know what the future will hold. I agree that subtitles should be standard and support your thoughts.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
At the present my hearing is good, but you never know what the future will hold. I agree that subtitles should be standard and support your thoughts.
I am 70, so my best hearing is behind me. However, even in my youth, I would often have trouble understanding dialogue. I love subtitles.

Les Mangram

Agent
Real Name
Alan
To be completely fair, Twilight Time's comment was that the reason they passed on The Pride and the Passion was that it was a sub-par transfer. They threw in that it was also in the incorrect aspect ratio. I won't know what AR this Blu-ray is actually in until I see some screen caps. The label claiming that it is 1.78:1 is meaningless as liner specs are so often wrong. If the MGM master was indeed 1.78:1, then the claim of "incorrect" is a bit of a nitpick as the vast majority of VistaVision films have been presented on Blu-ray at exactly that ratio (from The Ten Commandments to North By Northwest). However I suppose it's possible that the MGM master that Twilight Time inspected was at 1.66:1 (the ratio of the old DVD) and Kino could have matted and rescaled it to 1.78:1 which would have been a perfectly acceptable thing to do even though there may have been a slight loss in resolution.
VistaVision was an open matte process which could, according to Paramount, be shown at any ratio from 1.37:1 to 2:1. There was no OAR, but it was recommended that 1.85:1 was used. This became the US standard for all non-anamorphic widescreen, but that was not the case elsewhere. In the UK 1.75:1 was adopted as the standard and that is how all non scope films were shown. In other countries 1.66:1 was adopted. All this meant that in some places you got a little more image at the top and bottom of the frame. As far as home video is concerned, the only consideration should be that the full width of the frame fills the screen, nit-picking about 1.85:1 or 1.78:1 is ridiculous. In any case televisions have something called overscan which crops all sides of the image, so unless you have overscan turned off (not all TVs allow you to), you are not getting what is actually on the disc. I find turning overscan on useful, however, for those stupid DVDs and BDs which have been mastered in 1.66:1 in the erroneous belief that it was the original ratio. Turning it on takes the image out to the side of the screen and cuts of the unwanted bits at top and bottom.

Douglas R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Maybe it's partly because I was aged 12 when I saw the film in 1957 but I've always loved it. Epic story, charismatic stars, wonderfully photographed Spanish locations and one of the greatest scores of all-time by George Antheil. Unfortunately this Blu-ray is very disappointing and appears to be the same master as shown in HD on broadcast TV. Picture quality is soft and it is severely cropped top and bottom and on both sides.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
Maybe it's partly because I was aged 12 when I saw the film in 1957 but I've always loved it. Epic story, charismatic stars, wonderfully photographed Spanish locations and one of the greatest scores of all-time by George Antheil. Unfortunately this Blu-ray is very disappointing and appears to be the same master as shown in HD on broadcast TV. Picture quality is soft and it is severely cropped top and bottom and on both sides.

Oh, I am sorry . . . but not totally surprised. Twilight Time did warn us. My copy hasn't arrived yet. I'm expecting it today.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks