What's new

The monster squad getting a remake? (1 Viewer)

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Don Solosan ">[/url]

"[/QUOTE]Okay, the way I joined those two together at the same point may have been poorly done. I'm just telling you what I experience. I hear people of all ages, some who are movie buffs, most who aren't though - saying they're remaking everything today and it's gotten out of control. I'd say that the general public are now aware that we're facing a trend of "Remake-itis" . That term "Remake-itis" was a term I read from a critic in a recent article about the subject; it was not a term which was ever used back in the 1930s-1990s. The closest I can recall to such a term was "sequelitis" back in the '80s.

But I am suggesting that [i]Michael's[/i] observations negate each other. He has said (if not here in this thread, then in other discussions over the years I've known him online) that most people don't even know that these newer versions are remakes... yet he feels that people tend to want to seek out remakes more than original movies. How does that work? It can't be that they're buying their tickets [i]because[/i] they're remakes if they don't know they're remakes.

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by TravisR

Actually, it just opened wide yesterday (and I'm about to go see it again). I'm sure it won't make a lot of money but it's not really a movie aimed at a wide audience either.
I wish you were correct, but I don't think it's the case. I heard it was supposed to open wide on April 9th, but it turned out not to be the case. There are no ads in the New York area newspapers for it, it's dropped completely out of sight, and there are no theaters in my New York area playing it. On the Joan Jett message board there are fans from all states who are saying they still can't see it, and that the nearest theater for them is a 3 hour drive.

The story I heard from someone who is familar with the business is that sometimes a film gets a small release to create a "buzz" before it opens wide. In the case of THE RUNAWAYS though, there was no buzz and it backfired, so films like that do not often get that intended wider release.

The movie itself may not be aimed at a wide audience, but I would have thought that the casting of the now-popular Kristen Stewart (and Dakota Fanning) might have been enough to make some younger fans interested. Besides, it is a "teenage rock stars" story which I think could appeal to teenagers. But whatever.

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member
Michael Elliott wrote:
"I stopped reading after this. I'll revisit this thread throughout the year to see if your theory on this is correct. If so, the non-stop remakes coming up should tank and those original, Oscar-winning pictures every aunt, uncle, grandmother and co-worker wants should bring in large numbers."

Well, that's unfortunate that you didn't allow yourself to read the rest of what I wrote. There may have been something else there which we could have agreed upon. Did you stop reading because you thought if you read on, there might be something further I would point out that could convince you? I've made some good points for you to respond to, but if you choose not to address them and simply say "I stopped reading after this", then I guess we can only discontinue this discussion and agree to disagree.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Joe Karlosi ">[/url]

I wish you were correct, but I don't think it's the case. I heard it was [i]supposed[/i] to open wide on April 9th, but it turned out not to be the case. [/QUOTE]
Earlier this week, I saw a banner ad on Yahoo saying it was opening wide on April 9. I doubt it has 1,000 screens or anything like that but I'm curious to see how many screens it is on. It's too early for Box Office Mojo to have a full list for the weekend yet.

If there was one thing that the internet has made me realize, it's that I'm lucky that alot of movies play around me (and I'm even luckier because I live in suburbia). It seems like most movies that I want to see are within a reasonable drive time for me. And I hate driving so a "reasonable drive time" for me is about 15 minutes.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
On a side note I don't get that Kristin Stewart chick, she never smiles and in every interview I see her in she seems to have no personality that is visible to the naked eye.

Ah well, back to the topic at hand...

Rhett_Y

Screenwriter
Originally Posted by Inspector Hammer! /forum/thread/299073/the-monster-squad-getting-a-remake#post_3680127

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks