What's new

The Man From U.N.C.L.E. (Aug 2015) (1 Viewer)

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Been following the saga of the UNCLE film for a few years now, from its shaky development period to changes in casting (Clooney, Cruise, now Cavill) and directors (Soderberg) and release date (it was scheduled for Jan. 2015, and now is set for Aug 14 2015).

All of which means that this first trailer for the movie looks better than it has any right to:

http://www.ew.com/article/2015/02/11/man-from-uncle-trailer

I'm a fan of the 1964-68 TV series, and the trailer makes it appear they got the tone of the show right. Thumbs up on the time period.

Vic Pardo

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian Camp
When I saw the trailer for the KINGSMAN film, my first thought was that it was the U.N.C.L.E. film. It sure looked like it, with Caine in the Alexander Waverly role. Makes sense they pushed it back, since nobody will go see it with KINGSMAN still in their minds.

I recently re-watched some old U.N.C.L.E. compilation features and they were just terrible. I loved the series as a kid, but all attempts to revisit it as a grown-up have left me supremely disappointed.

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member
Dear movie Gods, Please please PLEASE don't let The Man from U.N.C.L.E. suck! I lived and breathed the show from '64 to '68. I could draw the logo in my sleep! Warner Bros, you are NOT allowed to screw this up! If it sucks, there will be hell to pay!

Mark

Lou Sytsma

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Sytsma
I've got a bad feeling about this.

Hammer and Cavill aren't helping either.

Vic Pardo

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian Camp
Lou Sytsma said:
I've got a bad feeling about this.

Hammer and Cavill aren't helping either.

Hammer's track record at vintage franchise restarts isn't a good one.

Raul Marquez

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Raul H. Marquez, MD
ManFromUNCLELogo.jpg

...and where's the famous U.N.C.L.E. logo in the trailer???? Should have been there!

Ejanss

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
EricJ
Vic Pardo said:
I recently re-watched some old U.N.C.L.E. compilation features and they were just terrible. I loved the series as a kid, but all attempts to revisit it as a grown-up have left me supremely disappointed.

I tried watching it on Instant Warner Archive, and couldn't get through a half-hour--Aside from "The first US post-Bond spy show!", there didn't seem to be anything particularly groundbreaking, and Robert Vaughn seemed stiffer than Robert Conrad's James West.

John Drake, Mr. Steed & Mrs. Peel, No. 6...We were falling behind Britain in the espionage race, and the best our intelligence had to offer was Maxwell Smart.

But I agree with Sam, I didn't know what a trailer to the movie would look like, but it wasn't this....In a good way. :)

You COULDN'T do this show realistically or contemporarily like The Equalizer movie, it belongs in the "retro" 60's. Thing is, though, the August date and knowing Guy Ritchie's been put on to "fix" it makes me think we're getting Robert Downey's Sherlock Holmes in the 60's--With all the wild overstylization, crazy flash-editing and overbearing attempts to make the hero partners "quirky".

Sherlock didn't deserve that, but for some reason, Solo does, since we remember the show being more fantastical than it was. Still, think the trailer's only showing us the tip of the Goofy iceberg.

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
Vic Pardo said:
...and the Jerry Goldsmith theme music!
How could you do a Man from Uncle movie and NOT show the logo or play the famous theme?? The lack of those things makes it look more like the trailer for a generic action movie.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
annefnlys01
Recent bookmarks