What's new

Blu-ray Review The Island (1980) Blu-ray Review (1 Viewer)

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin

After the success of Jaws, Zanuck/Brown were hoping lightning would strike twice with their adaptation of Peter Benchley’s pirate novel, The Island. On paper, it seemed all of the ingredients were there: they enlisted Benchley to write the screenplay, Michael Caine was cast in the lead, and noted director Michael Ritchie was brought on board to steer the ship. In the end, it was a recipe for disaster, as both audiences and critics dismissed the film during its original theatrical release in the Summer of 1980.

The Island (1980)

Studio: Shout! Factory (licensed through Universal Pictures)
US BD Release Date: December 11, 2012
Original Release Year: 1980
Rated: R
Running Time: 109 minutes
Aspect Ratio: 2.35:1
Audio: English (DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1, DTS-HD Master Audio 2.0 Surround)
Subtitles: English (SDH)

Movie: 2.5 out of 5
Passengers and crews of pleasure boats have been disappearing within the Bermuda Triangle in the Caribbean. Newspaper reporter Blair Maynard (Michael Caine) convinces his editor to allow him to fly down to Miami to investigate. But there is a slight problem - his ex-wife left his estranged son, Justin (Jeffrey Frank), in his office for the weekend. Maynard brings his son along on the trip, reassuring him that he is taking him to Disney World (never mind that Orlando is nowhere near Miami). Following a lead, Maynard charters a cargo plane to Navidad, where they eventually become stranded after the plane crash lands on the runway, and while waiting for the next plane to arrive, they rent a boat to go fishing. They find a young girl floating in the ocean near an abandoned life raft, attempt to rescue her, but find it is a trap and get captured by a ruthless gang of pirates, descendents of a long line of buccaneers who colonized a nearby uncharted island, led by Jean-David Nau (David Warner). When Nau mistakenly believes Maynard and his son are descendants of the man that killed Blackbeard, he spares their lives, brainwashing Justin to be his son and sentencing Maynard as a breeding partner for Beth (Angela Punch McGregor), the lone woman of the group, to help balance out the depleting gene pool.

The choice of Michael Ritchie as director seems an odd one, since his specialty, at that time, was directing political satires (The Candidate with Robert Redford) and sports comedies (The Bad News Bears, Semi-Tough). Ritchie was not known for action or horror, and the action sequences in The Island are a bit flat, and the pacing is a bit too slow for a film in this genre. Cinematographer Henri Decaë’s use of shallow focus throughout much of the film can be annoying, with characters falling in and out of focus as they move through the frame (and makes this transfer even more problematic). And Ennio Morricone’s score adds a schizophrenic feel to the film, often romanticizing the pirates with a heroic theme as they pillage and plunder, while Ritchie (as well as the performances by Warner and other pirates) demonizes them. Benchley’s screenplay asks the audience to make some pretty big leaps in logic, particularly during the last ten minutes when Justin’s brainwashing almost magically goes out the window during the film’s final climax.

Video: 3 out of 5
The 1080p transfer, compressed using the AVC codec and retaining the film’s intended 2.35:1 theatrical aspect ratio, is problematic, at best. Colors are slightly muted but consistent. Detail is often soft, making Henri Decaë’s narrow depth of field seem like vaseline had been smeared on the camera lens. Contrast is acceptable, with some crushing in the blacks during darker sequences.

Audio: 3.5 out of 5
Although not listed on the packaging, Shout! Factory has included a DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1 soundtrack to complement the film’s original 2.0 surround mix. While the 5.1 mix provides a wider soundstage, the surround channels often sound too hot, sometimes overpowering the front channels. I double-checked my speaker settings, and they had not been altered. Other films still sounded balanced, so it is definitely part of this 5.1 remix. Dialogue occasionally sounds thin, mostly due to the technology available during the recording and mixing process. Bass response is adequate for a film of this vintage. The DTS-HD Master Audio 2.0 mix fares much better, with a more balanced matrixed surround channel.

Special Features: 1 out of 5
The only bonus materials included are trailers for The Island, Death Valley, and They Live, all in standard definition, and a standard definition DVD containing the same content as the Blu-ray disc.

Overall: 3 out of 5
The Island has gained something of a cult following over the years, and fans who did not pick up Universal’s MOD DVD release last year will likely be pleased with this release. If you have never seen this film, I would recommend viewing this as a rental first.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
Oh my... what a crazy fun movie. And...
If that were my kid he'd be spanked daily with the paddle from one of those paddle ball games until he was 18.
Anyway, I'll take one to replace my home made DVD. Man! I was just adding this to my amazon wish list and TerrorVision just popped up. Blu ray too! In February! Happy crazy times ahead!

Ejanss

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
EricJ
Toddwrtr said:
After the success of Jaws, Zanuck/Brown were hoping lightning would strike twice with their adaptation of Peter Benchley’s pirate novel,
Strike THREE times, you mean--"The Deep" was the official Benchley-book followup for 1977, and was one of the other smash hits that summer.

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
I was referring to the teaming of Zanuck/Brown and Benchley. The Deep was produced by Peter Guber.

Originally Posted by Ejanss /t/325916/the-island-1980-blu-ray-review#post_4012240
Strike THREE times, you mean--"The Deep" was the official Benchley-book followup for 1977, and was one of the other smash hits that summer.

cineMANIAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Luis
Curious choice by Shout for a Universal acquisition considering there had just been a MOD release. They shoud've gotten their hands on John Carpenter's PRINCE OF DARKNESS since it's the ONE contemporary Universal title horror fans seem to want the most (judging by the endless requests on horror forums). Add to this the lack of extras and what you've got is something of a head-scratcher. I happen to like the oddball-ness of the film so I picked up a copy but it's definitely a "rent it first" title.

Ejanss

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
EricJ
cineMANIAC said:
Curious choice by Shout for a Universal acquisition considering there had just been a MOD release.
With Shout's similar rescue of Futureworld and Twilight's rescue of Lost Horizon, think the small Twilight/Olive labels are trying to fight the Archive image that once a movie is declared MOD and "too obscure" for DVD (since nobody buys DVD anyway), the title's reputation is immediately besmirched for all history and is officially retired from ever having any mainstream re-release or Blu release.
And that's just Universal, Columbia and MGM, what happens if they ever get to Warner's tyrannically stocked exile dungeon?

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
To be fair, the MOD was DVD-only, so it makes more sense for Shout! Factory to release a Blu-ray/DVD combo pack that separate Blu-ray and DVD releases.

Originally Posted by cineMANIAC /t/325916/the-island-1980-blu-ray-review#post_4012320
Curious choice by Shout for a Universal acquisition considering there had just been a MOD release. They shoud've gotten their hands on John Carpenter's PRINCE OF DARKNESS since it's the ONE contemporary Universal title horror fans seem to want the most (judging by the endless requests on horror forums). Add to this the lack of extras and what you've got is something of a head-scratcher. I happen to like the oddball-ness of the film so I picked up a copy but it's definitely a "rent it first" title.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
cineMANIAC said:
They shoud've gotten their hands on John Carpenter's PRINCE OF DARKNESS since it's the ONE contemporary Universal title horror fans seem to want the most...
I'm thinking that Prince Of Darkness is a matter of when they'll release it and not if they'll release it.

Brett_M

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brett Meyer
TravisR said:
I'm thinking that Prince Of Darkness is a matter of when they'll release it and not if they'll release it.
And I thought I was the only person who loves JC's Prince of Darkness. What a great flick.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks