What's new

The independents come to the rescue of vintage TV-on-DVD (1 Viewer)

Bob Hug

Screenwriter
With the exception of Paramount and, to a lesser extent, MGM, the major studios really are just throwing a few crumbs to fans of vintage (pre-1970) television shows on DVD. But, thanks in large part to the independent releasing companies, vintage TV-on-DVD is alive and well (at least for the near term). Consider the following that have either been released or will be released in the near future:

Shout! Factory: Ironside, McHale’s Navy, The Adventures of Ozzie & Harriet
S’more Entertainment: Make Room for Daddy
Roxbury Entertainment: Route 66
VCI Entertainment: Burke’s Law, Honey West, Zane Grey Theater
Timeless Media Group: Checkmate, Cimarron City, Restless Gun, The Tall Man, Laredo, Riverboat
Infinity Entertainment: The Real McCoys, Suspense, The Adventures of Jim Bowie, Sergeant Preston of the Yukon, Hopalong Cassidy
BCI Eclipse: Wanted Dead or Alive

If you add in the companies offering public domain material like Mill Creek Entertainment and Alpha Video, among others, there is a fair amount of vintage programming available . . . . . perhaps not as much as some of us would like, but still a fair amount . . . . . just don’t go looking to most of the major studios for your vintage TV-on-DVD craving.

Lenny Rakes

Stunt Coordinator
Two other classic shows that are being handled by independents companies are "That Girl" and "Family Affair".

I think the main problem is classic television does not have and advocate with major clout like classic movies does with Martin Scorsese. In my opinion most of the heads of major critics and studios look down upon classic television with disdain.

Charles H

Screenwriter
I was surprised that Season 2 of WANTED: DEAD OR ALIVE still bears the New Line logo. My guess is that BCI purchased the already-produced seasons 2 and probably 3. DEAD OR ALIVE is a terrific series, and by being only a half-hour long, it has many of the qualities of "Alfred Hitchcock Presents" in terms of short story succinctness and not having exposition shoved down the viewer's throat. There's a wonderful noir cynicism in all these fifties and early sixties tv shows.

Corey3rd

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joe Corey
A big difference is that people are used to paying to see movies. A lot of people got into buying DVDs because they didn't want to deal with going to the movies. They figured out the cost of two tickets and popcorn and decided it was cheaper to wait a few months and buy the film instead of renting space in a movie seat. People used to go back and watch a movie a few times in the theater. But now they decide to just save that ticket price and invest it in the DVD.

TV on the other hand has always been considered free entertainment. You turn on the TV set and there's I Love Lucy or Gilligan's Island. TV shows are like tap water to most folks. They just flow out of the set without much effort. Getting people to buy DVDs of a show is a different marketing angle. The best angle is that you can't find that show on TV anymore. Local TV channels have nearly dropped all syndicated drama/sitcom action. How many boxsets to do you own because you miss a show that you can't find on the dial? Our local TV station just yanked off Andy Griffith show for another lame talk show. Think that with a well placed ad campaign or at least a display at WalMart, they can lure a few people into getting their Mayberry fix?

What gets me is that TV on DVD depends completely on people buying that title in the first few weeks for the next season to be released. If I don't preorder, its one and done.

It is a shame that there isn't a big name out promoting TV shows that have lost a bit of their profile.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
This is a double-edged sword. True, it gets the stuff out, and they don't have bloated middle-management cutting into profits, but they are at the mercy of the suppliers when it comes to getting quality prints.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
annefnlys01
Recent bookmarks