What's new
World Wide Stereo

The Importance of Bias Lighting When Viewing in a Reference Environment (1 Viewer)

elwaylite

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jason
I was always a movie guy that watched them in the complete dark. After doing some reading, I made a homemade backlight from a Lowe’s cabinet light and 6500k bulb. I loved it! After that, I bought an Ideal Lume through Gregg, and have not looked back. IMO, it is more of a pleasurable experience when watching a movie. The lighting does not affect the screen, but keeps the room bright enough to move around and gives the image a little more pop.

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

smithb

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brad Smith
I included bias lighting as part of my theater design of 2003. As many have stated it is much more comfortable to the eye's. Mine may not be the optimal setup:

- Front wall is completely black (speaker fabric covering sound absorption and front L/R speakers).

- Duplicating a carpet covered platform below the screen I have molding two feet out from the top with the same black speaker cloth between the molding and front wall

- 92" diagonal 16x9 screen with 3" border of felt.

- Screen extends out a few inches from the wall that allowed me to mount rope lighting (on a dimmer) behind the perimeter (only reflection seen).

Most likely my rope lighting is not 6500k and the carpet on the floor is burgundy and not gray scale, but the idea of including some bias lighting in my design has been as important to my home theater experience as the sound absorption treatments, controlled lighting, HT loungers, hidden speakers, and placing the equipment rack in the back of the room. I would always recommend it be included in any design.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Josh.1983
Recent bookmarks