What's new

The Hunt for Red October SE and Toshiba (1 Viewer)

AlexK

Grip
I'm having trouble with THFRO SE and my Toshiba SD-2109. At the beginning of chapter 7 (1:05:21), when the film cuts to a white screen, the picture is flickering for a few seconds, and my TV loses the 16:9 flag and switches to 4:3.

When I play the disc in my DVD-ROM (also a Toshiba (SD-M1612)), everything's fine.

I guess my 2109 may have some trouble with the layer change. Is the layer change located at chapter 7? Has anyone else experienced this?

Dave Molinarolo

Stunt Coordinator
The layer change is at a very strange and awkward place. Most awkward place I think I have ever seen on a disc. It takes place somewhere during the conversation in the captain's quarters on the USS Enterprise. It's right in the middle of the conversation almost in mid-sentence, but not really if you know what I mean.

As you know, most layer changes occur during the change of a scene or at least camera angle change, but this one occured within the same shot. So much so that I thought my player locked up.

AlexK

Grip
I've bought a second copy, same problem. I guess it's a compatibility issue then. :frowning:

John Hodson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I'm having trouble with THFRO SE and my Toshiba SD-2109. At the beginning of chapter 7 (1:05:21), when the film cuts to a white screen, the picture is flickering for a few seconds
Does the same thing on my Pioneer player, but not on my LG - it does indeed look like a player specific problem (but I'm not sure it's the layer change point - my Pioneer usually copes with layer changes pretty well).

---
So many films, so little time...

Rain

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rain
Plays fine thru that time-point on my Toshiba player.

AlexK

Grip
Worked fine when I watched it. I have a Toshiba SD-2109.
Now it's getting interesting. What firmware does your 2109 have[1]? I have

ROM1 V1.800
ROM2 V1.800

[1] To display the firmware version, press ZOOM, 6, 0, 6, ZOOM on your remote control.

Kevin Thompson

Stunt Coordinator
Is it just me, or is this an amusing coincidence? Of course I'm not amused by the difficulty you're having with your player, but...

Wasn't Toshiba implicated in the compromise of secrets related to US submarine technology back in the 80's?

Now, one of their DVD players won't play "The Hunt for Red October"?

I'd file this under "Things that make you go "Hmmmm"."

Philip Verdieck

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Philip Verdieck
There were 2 companies in the incident.

The Japanese company (either Toshiba or Hitachi) sold the computers. A Norwegian company sold the metal milling equipment. The combination of the two allowed the Soviets to advance their propeller design, and make their subs quieter.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks