What's new

t1g3r5fan

Reviewer
Real Name
Mychal Bowden
When Robert Wise’s The Haunting came out in 1963, it became recognized as one of the best ghost stories ever committed to film. By the time the 1990’s rolled around, Stephen Spielberg and Stephen King had expressed interest in making their version of the movie from Shirley Jackson’s novel. When that planned collaboration fell apart, Spielberg moved on to Minority Report, which he got from fellow director Jan de Bont in a swap, and de Bont proceeded with the remake. Previously released on DVD and Blu-ray by Paramount (HTF’s Neil Middlemiss reviewed the 2020 Paramount Presents Blu-ray release here) – Dreamworks initially released the movie in theaters and home video – Scream Factory has given the movie its UHD Blu-ray debut.

The Haunting (1999)

Released: 23 Jul 1999
Rated: PG-13
Runtime: 113 min

Director: Jan de...

Continue reading...

Last edited:

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
ICYDK -- This was in Dolby EX originally and should have a rear sixth channel matrixed in.

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
I originally had the dts DVD version of this and bought the UK Blu-ray release last fall. The 4K UHD is on my wish list and will be ordered soon, even though I don’t expect to be able to watch it for several years. Such is life when you give up your HT and even basic movie watching to take care of family.

John

Agent
Real Name
John
I saw this movie when I was quite young (it came out when I was ~9) and it is hard for me to believe that this movie had jump scares. I basically won't watch horror nowadays due to these. Am I just weaker now or would you say the landscape for horror jump scares has changed? My memory of horror from when I was young was that a lot of it was (very fake looking) gore, which was amusing to me. Another question I have on this movie, if you were an adult when it came out, was there a perception that this was going to be a somewhat silly movie, going into it? I can't look at Owen Wilson and take something too seriously.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
ICYDK -- This was in Dolby EX originally and should have a rear sixth channel matrixed in.
How many home theaters are actually set up for Dolby EX with a rear channel. That would be what? Dolby 6.1?

Most of the home theater fans that I know, who are able to do so, go 11.1 or 11.2, invoking the Atmos god.

This would be 12.1 or 2, with a dedicated RC?

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Another question I have on this movie, if you were an adult when it came out, was there a perception that this was going to be a somewhat silly movie, going into it? I can't look at Owen Wilson and take something too seriously.
No, Owen Wilson wasn't particularly famous in 1999 so the movie was seen and marketed as a big budget horror picture.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
No, Owen Wilson wasn't particularly famous in 1999 so the movie was seen and marketed as a big budget horror picture.
Interesting to note that Wilson is also in the upcoming Haunted Mansion film. Returning to the haunted house genre nearly 25 years later.

JoshZ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joshua Zyber
How many home theaters are actually set up for Dolby EX with a rear channel. That would be what? Dolby 6.1?

Most of the home theater fans that I know, who are able to do so, go 11.1 or 11.2, invoking the Atmos god.

Most modern a/v receivers with some form of Dolby ProLogic II/Dolby Surround Upmixer/DTS Neo:6/DTS Neural:X or similar can decode Dolby EX to 7.1 channels, splitting the mono rear between the left and right Surround Back speakers.

JimJasper

Second Unit
Real Name
Jim
Most modern a/v receivers with some form of Dolby ProLogic II/Dolby Surround Upmixer/DTS Neo:6/DTS Neural:X or similar can decode Dolby EX to 7.1 channels, splitting the mono rear between the left and right Surround Back speakers.
Robert Harris said:

...it is interesting, Lord Dalek is on the right track. Because back in 2001, DreamWorks released the DVD in 5.1.
Then another DVD in a special DTS-ES 6.1 discrete mix, per Digital Bits:
"The DTS-ES Discrete 6.1 version is from a newly created discrete 6.1 master at 24-bit depth, encoded at 754 kilobits per second...The discrete back surround channel is very effective and expands the sound field enormously. The DTS-ES disc sounds clearer, more detailed and powerful than any other soundtrack I know."

That said, I've never seen a Blu-ray/4K release a
6.1 mix.... Yet an exception for this film might have been fun, b/c a 6.1 mix (over a 5.1 mix) upmixed into a DTS Neural:X may exhibit a richer expansiveness --> This feature, as Josh mentioned above, is available on many receivers. .....Sure, this is probably considered splitting hairs for many folks outside of home theater lovers. But it still seems like a missed opportunity.
1695147353183.png
1695148390104.png
haunted mansion disney GIF

JoshZ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joshua Zyber
That said, I've never seen a Blu-ray/4K release a 6.1 mix.... Yet an exception for this film might have been fun, b/c a 6.1 mix (over a 5.1 mix) upmixed into a DTS Neural:X may exhibit a richer expansiveness --> This feature, as Josh mentioned above, is available on many receivers. .....Sure, this is probably considered splitting hairs for many folks outside of home theater lovers. But it still seems like a missed opportunity.
haunted mansion disney GIF

The problem with the 6.1 format is that it's prone to causing image reversal, where a mono audio source directly behind your head is perceived as coming from in front of you instead. That's why the industry quickly moved to 7.1 with stereo Surround Back speakers, which will mitigate that issue.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks