What's new

Will Krupp

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Will
I love that arrangement. But, I am a sucker for those big band tunes with the vocal trio/quartet backup singers.

I like them, too, but they really torture this particular song to make it fit into that mold. Don't get me wrong, I STILL think it's wonderful (but also slightly cringey, lol)

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
According to George Sidney's great commentary, the words in the song:
"All aboard for Californi-a
On the Atchison Topeka and the Santa Fe"
are incorrect because the rail line didn't go to California.
He did say that but I can say that Buster Keaton shot several scenes in California with AT&SF rail cars ...

1608453483161.png

1608453609024.png

1888 Map of the AT&SF railway ...

1608454366317.png

Last edited:

Will Krupp

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Will
If I remember from my research long ago, Bing's version is the one which hit #1 on the Hit Parade. I think Judy's only got to #6.

In fairness, I THINK Bing had the advantage of having his version out first and long before the movie was released. My memory is a little hazy on this, but I believe it was in Hugh Fordin's wonderful book about the Freed unit that Robert Alton (maybe?) told about the surreal experience of driving to the "Atchison" set to shoot the number for the film and hearing Bing singing the song on the radio along the way. I'll have to try to find the passage (it's really a great book.)

In any event, Bing's version of the song was a big hit before the movie was even released.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
In fairness, I THINK Bing had the advantage of having his version out first and long before the movie was released. My memory is a little hazy on this, but I believe it was in Hugh Fordin's wonderful book about the Freed unit that Robert Alton (maybe?) told about the surreal experience of driving to the "Atchison" set to shoot the number for the film and hearing Bing singing the song on the radio along the way. I'll have to try to find the passage (it's really a great book.)

In any event, Bing's version of the song was a big hit before the movie was even released.
Yes, I have that great book, and that's exactly the story that was related about the filming of the number. Also that Judy came in and did her part of it in one take after watching her stand-in walk through the moves she was to make.

lark144

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
mark gross
For years I was only familiar with the song as it appeared in the movie. I knew there were other versions recorded by a series of other artists but I really didn't pay them all that much mind. It wasn't until the Judy Garland boxset of Decca masters was released on CD that I was even AWARE that she recorded a "Single" version (for lack of a better term) with the Merry Macs for Decca. It's both awful (in its kitschy "pop" arrangement) and wonderful (Judy) but undeniably charming in any event.

I remember hearing this on the radio as a child, which made me firm in my resolve never to see "The Harvey Girls". (I generally love swing vocal groups, but the Merry Macs always set my teeth--and other body parts--on edge. )

I did finally cave in and order the Blu, though the way the mail delivery is going, I may get to see it when Daylight Savings Time kicks in again.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
My copy has finally shipped from BB which probably means I might received it from the USPS in January.:)

David Weicker

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
My copy is 'Out For Delivery'. Should be adding it to my shelf this afternoon (after I finish printing the custom cover).

Edit: now delivered

Attachments

• Harvey GirlsHTF.JPG
    Harvey GirlsHTF.JPG
    742.2 KB · Views: 135
Last edited:

Harold Chasen

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Steven
The young Angela Landsbury in jewels singing (although is that her voice?)

No - it's Virginia Rees. And Cyd Charisse was dubbed by Marion Doenges. Angela did her own singing in Till The Clouds Roll By, though.

My source is the wonderful Movie Dubbers website. How's this for a wonderful bit of trivia: "Barbara Stanwyck, for example, "sang" in seven movies but was only dubbed in three of them."

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
No - it's Virginia Rees. And Cyd Charisse was dubbed by Marion Doenges. Angela did her own singing in Till The Clouds Roll By, though.

Both of whom are mentioned in my review. Dubbing singing voices in movies has always held a great fascination for me.

Angela sang for herself in The Picture of Dorian Grey, too.

GlennF

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Glenn Frost
Wow! Just, Wow! I finally got my copy. (The postal sorting station outside Toronto that deals with international mail had a COVID outbreak.) This has never been my favourite musical by a long shot (sorry, to those who feel differently) but it looks amazing. There are some sequences I simply keep watching over and over for the sheer beauty of the picture. There is a close-up of Angela standing by a piano when we are first introduced to her. For that shot alone this blu-ray is worth it. And unlike a lot of the added "stereo mix" songs on blus like STRIKE UP THE BAND the one here, "The Achison Topeka and the Santa Fe" really sounds great and quite different. Next up THE PIRATE.

RichMurphy

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Rich

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mycuu
Recent bookmarks