What's new

The Grammy Awards 2/11/07 - Can't wait to see The Police Reunion tonight??? (1 Viewer)

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
when did the acadamy make a post in this thread?

it was willg who brought it up then you responded.
are you attempting to get the thread closed?

Carl Miller

Screenwriter
I like the Police a lot, but thought their performance was just ok.

Far as the rest of the performances...what a pathetic gathering of non-talent.

Brent M

Senior HTF Member

Amen to that. I remember when the music industry actually showcased talent and bands could actually play. It's an absolute abomination now and I personally could care less if the whole industry collapsed into oblivion.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
aside from the gnarls barkley- crazy and the young girl who sang with john legend and another guy, not much there for me.

EricSchulz

Senior HTF Member
Just finished watching my taped copy of the show...a BIG yawn. No real "moment" this year at all. I thought that it was sacreligious to have Chris Brown perform with Smokey and Lionel. Did Chris ever actually SING during his number? Sure, the dancing (and "mini-Chrises") were fun to watch, but I seriously doubt that twenty years from now Chris will be invited back to perform "Run It"....

Also, did anyone notice the vocals of some performers "buried" in the mix? Justin T's first number, Gnarls Barkley and Wyclef Jean were most noticeable. On the other hand, I wish someone had tried to bury Christina Aguilera's vocals, especially that "you're-making-my-ears-bleed" high note.

Dave Mack

Senior HTF Member

Tony, there were definitely some prerecorded samples going on.
Sting was singing "Put on The Red Light..." and the backing vocal is going "Roxannnne....Roxaaaane...Roxaaaane...
" Sting does not sing "Roxanne" at that point so delay, reverb etc. would not produce the different lyric. He is just singing "Put on the red light" again and again. Watch the clip and you will see.
Andy sang as well but I have many many Police live videos and Andy doing backups is usually not a pretty sound. Stewart doesn't even go for the 2nd chorus. Watch the clip starting at 2:50 seconds in. Sting is not singing "Roxanne...", He is just singing "Put On The Red Light"
It's very apparent. Not criticising, just pointing it out. I used to be the lead singer in a band that used many samples so I remember alot of the tricks firsthand.

Interesting article here...

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...2004Oct30.html

:)

Virtually all bands do it nowadays.

But anyways I thought they did a very smart thing, come out and play, get everyone fored up at the end and leave them wanting more. "Always leave 'em wanting more"

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
i guess you're right, i just diidnt hear it.
i was checking the othe section of the song. roxanne part.
i had to listen again and there it is.

Chris Atkins

Senior HTF Member
I couldn't be happier about The Police getting back together. I thought they kicked some a$s at the grammys and I can't wait to go see them in concert.

Dave Mack

Senior HTF Member
yeah,
like I said, almost everyone does it now. U2 had a TON of samples going on when I saw them. During Eleveation the "ooooh oooh" has a sample underneath Bono's live "ooh ooh." In the Elevation concert DVD he has a "frog in his nthroat" during that song and he doesn't do them all and yet the sample goes on.
I think for just backups of sound FX type things it's ok, though not as admirable as the old days but it just seems like everyone does it now.

:)

Still would love to see them live though.
I saw them back in 83' at shea stadium and have seen Sting solo a few times. My fiancee is the biggest Stinghead ever!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks