What's new

The future of LED-based DLP? (1 Viewer)

Peter McM

Screenwriter
Real Name
Peter
It appears as though Samsung is now out of the DLP business, taking their LED-based technology with them. Mitsubishi has some nice looking new additions to their DLP lineup--however, they continue to design their units around the older lamps and color wheels. Is it possible we'll eventually see the superior, longer-lasting LED system in other brands?

Michael TLV

THX Video Instructor/Calibrator
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Chen
Greetings

He likely means the RP DLP business ...

They are still very much in the DLP business in general. Front Projectors.

regards

SethH

Senior HTF Member
Mitsubishi has laser DLPs. If rear projection DLPs survive laser may be the light source going forward.

Peter McM

Screenwriter
Real Name
Peter

Thank you--that's exactly what I meant. I hear so little spoken of front-projectors, I forget all about them.

I'm just surprised the LED didn't thrive, given it's cost comparison, coupled with the advantages of not having to replace bulbs, and the optical improvements resulting from eliminating the spinning color wheel. Granted, I've seen nothing but rave reviews from new crop of Mitsubishis; no complaints about "rainbow effect" ( I watch a lot of auto racing, so that factor is of paramount concern to me). Perhaps I'm narrowing my focus a bit too much.

GeorgeAB

Supporting Actor
Real Name
G. Alan Brown
It was quite plain to me by the context of the original post that the topic was RPTVs. I still haven't seen any official news releases from Samsung announcing that they are ceasing the production of DLP RPTVs. Can you supply an example?

Dan Driscoll

Supporting Actor
I haven't heard any news, either. However, Samsung is no longer listing consumer DLP displays on the left hand side of the Television page. You have to use the Product Finder drop-down menu to find LED DLPs now. I'm pretty sure LED DLP was a left side option fairly recently, I was looking at the 67" a few weeks ago.

Peter McM

Screenwriter
Real Name
Peter
Samsungs are disappearing from major online retailers. The other day, a man at my local Best Buy pointed to an open-box Samsung DLP and said that was the last one they were going to get, confirming that they are, indeed exiting the RPTV segment of the market.

mrberns

Auditioning
Real Name
John
In response to your original question, I find it very unlikely that we will be seeing anyone else adopting the LED technology, or even stepping any deeper into the RPDLP market. It simply isn't sexy enough of a product, even though it is (IMHO) the best looking and easily the best value for those who don't have the space or dislike the aesthetics of front projection. Sadly I think it is really a dying market, just when it was getting interesting with LED and laser technology, which I also don't see lasting very long after launch.

Peter McM

Screenwriter
Real Name
Peter
It's interesting to note that the two biggest home shopping channels, QVC and SNBC, are constantly featuring Mitsubishi DLPs on their home electronics segments; rarely do I see them spotlight an LCD monitor unless it's for that "second TV in the bedroom" 29 inches or under.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks