What's new

The Fugitive: Season Four, Volume 1 (1 Viewer)

Harry-N

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Harry N.
Originally Posted by Charles Thaxton

I'm surprised they never used Barry Morse's great episode intros on any of the sets.

Actually it's rather understandable that they didn't. Mr. Morse's intros nearly all refer to the old volume numbers in the NuVentures series of tapes. Things like "this second episode on Volume 7", etc. To use them now would require heavy editing, or I suppose they could simply have placed them as extra features. But I fear that neither would be possible, as I've heard stories about how Mr. Morse was not paid for the intros thus placing these in disputed territory.

As I dubbed my fourth season shows to DVD, I kept them in as extra titles that you could either view or not, and they more often than not don't make much sense as regards the Volume number stuff.

Harry

Charles Thaxton

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Charles Thaxton
Right Harry-I forgot about Barry reading the volume numbers for the VHS releases, although those could be edited as you say. Still. he had the occasional interesting anecdote about some episodes which would make for a nice bonus extra.

Fredbloggs

Auditioning
Real Name
Winifred
Originally Posted by Richard Gallagher

All Blu-ray players play regular DVDs, so there is no need for a combo player.

The last DIsney Blu-ray I bought, Pinocchio, included a DVD at no extra cost. Nice touch Disney.

stevelecher

Supporting Actor
Real Name
steve
JQuirk:

You might give S3V1 a try. 11 of the 15 episodes are very intact. I don't know why the second volume of each season got such shabby treatment. Anyway, like you, I didn't buy S3V2 and will wait for reviews before buying Season 4.

Am I the only one who's not that excited about The Invaders music in Season 4? This is one of the reasons the show that year seems different and, to me, less exciting than previous seasons.

Steve L.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
Quote:

Originally Posted by stevelecher

Am I the only one who's not that excited about The Invaders music in Season 4? This is one of the reasons the show that year seems different and, to me, less exciting than previous seasons.

I agree completely. Other than the finale and a select few episodes, Season 4 was a significant drop-off from the first 3 seasons. Don't get me wrong. I'll buy this set if the original music is largely unmolested, but it's not like I'll be drooling for it.

Gary "what has happened to The Fugitive releases has to be the biggest fiasco in all of TV on DVD history" O.

Walsh61

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Garth Lough
I also completely agree. I wish another company would obtain the rights to this show and give us a top-notch release of the entire series with some extras. There has to be some people still around that were associated with the original series that could provide some behind the scenes tidbits. I'm sure there's some archival material also that could be used. But mostly to just have the series in "night of original broadcast" form would be a treasure for this fan.

jquirk

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jim
The moment of truth is near. What will we get this time? A set comparable to the two Season One sets, or another hearty dose of Mark Heyes keyboards? I can't wait to read the early reviews.

JoshuaB.

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jay
Yes, fingers crossed that CBS has finally figured out how not to anger Fugitive fans! Yes, I too am not "drooling" for the fourth season: the writing quality took a steep decline (other than the finale or episodes like "Ivy Maze" or "Dossier of a Diplomat"), the change in library music and yes, the switch to colour (the black and white image really helped establish the tone of the series and create a sense of isolation for Kimble). However, it's still a fine series and the fact that Janssen and the producers decided to end the series before the wheels fell off completely was a smart decision. I won't have time to view the set until December, but I'll check in here to make sure it hasn't been tampered!

phil*

Second Unit
Real Name
Andro
As long as Peter Rugolo's haunting music in the final episode's epilogue: "The Judgment Part Two" is not altered..I'll be happy. If Mark Heyes' music is inserted in that scene when Kimble and Gerard are shaking hands...it would be an absolute travesty.

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
I'll have to get used to one audio change for me in that last scene because my own copy of "The Judgment" is from the original VHS release that used the Canada print in which Conrad says, "Tuesday, September 5th" but in the US version I'm told it was "Tuesday, August 29th". I have to admit, I like the ring of "September" better but I'll live with that.

phil*

Second Unit
Real Name
Andro
Originally Posted by Jack P

I'll have to get used to one audio change for me in that last scene because my own copy of "The Judgment" is from the original VHS release that used the Canada print in which Conrad says, "Tuesday, September 5th" but in the US version I'm told it was "Tuesday, August 29th". I have to admit, I like the ring of "September" better but I'll live with that.
Tuesday,August 29,1967.."The Judgment" in "The Fugitive"

Friday, August 29,1997.."Judgment Day" in "Terminator 2 Judgment Day''

barnefrank

Auditioning
Real Name
Barne Frank
Its a old show was airing on ABC from 1963 to 1967. Now its DVDs are released so its a nice thing to the show lovers that they can find a DVD for themselves to watch there favorite show again.

disctrip

Supporting Actor
Real Name
hank freitas
Fedex just showed up with my copy. Have not watched it yet but there is a disclaimer on the back cover saying"music has been changed for this home entertainment version" The hair on the back of my neck just stood up. Oh no, not again. I'll keep my fingers crossed.

smithb

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brad Smith
Originally Posted by disctrip

Fedex just showed up with my copy. Have not watched it yet but there is a disclaimer on the back cover saying"music has been changed for this home entertainment version" The hair on the back of my neck just stood up. Oh no, not again. I'll keep my fingers crossed.

I wouldn't have expected it any way other way. The question isn't whether music has changed but about how a much.

Harry-N

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Harry N.
People...people. The music disclaimer is on EVERY FRICKING CBS Paramount TV release. It's standard boilerplate. It was on THE FUGITIVE Season 1 Volume 1 and 2 too, and everyone's happy with those. So let's wait for actual evidence before getting your knickers in a twist. After confirmation of a problem, feel free to panic as usual!

Harry

Brent Avery

Supporting Actor
Well, now I am going to have to get used to watching this final season in color. I do miss the black and white of the previous episodes, but at least they look good. I almost was going to turn down the color on the tv just to have it in b & w but I'll adjust!

buford2

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Dave
When someone has some information about the music in this set, please post it. I am waiting to see if Im going to purchase it.

Thanks,

Dave

Hollywoodaholic

Edge of Glory?
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
I'm no score expert, I can't vouch for the music on the first episode, "The Last Oasis," nothing jumped out at me (except that weird Munsters-like-theme song playing in the background at the diner), but the PQ and the color looked great (and quite vivid), and the story was extremely weak. Nothing like what I had been given to expect scriptwise from watching earlier seasons. I hope the writing on the final season episodes gets better than this. There was one good line, where the Arizona Indian orphanage worker is collecting wood with a young orphan and says, "This is the land where our forefathers used to hunt the buffalo ... and the white man used to hunt our forefathers."

There IS no Mark Heyes credit for music at the end of the episode, it was only Pete Rugulo, for what that's worth.

jdee28

Screenwriter
Real Name
John
The best episodes of the Fugitive were in black and white. It's too bad CBS mangled those. Future generations will now have to endure the black and white episodes from seasons 2 and 3 with those truly wretched music scores. Thanks CBS/Paramount!

HenryDuBrow

Screenwriter
Real Name
Henry.
Originally Posted by Brent Avery

I wonder if anybody will be doing that (going b&w) when watching, just to have that feel and continuation of if they'll adjust, personally I'll adjust but I do think they should've kept that last season in b&w as well. Believe it or not, even 10 years after this they were still producing some popular shows in monochrome film for television in Europe, not always for economical reasons but deliberately for atmosphere too.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks